Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Incorrect

the hv system has radiators and fans that cool the battery. The ac compressor used to cool the cabin is only used for the cabin. If I am incorrect please feel free to correct me. I had my ac compressor fail years and went thru this same issue.
12. Electric Air Conditioner Compressor. Runs on high voltage. It is used for two purposes. To cool the air for the cabin using #16 and/or to cool the glycol loop using #13. Percents indicate compressor running speed. If cooling requirements are very small compressor will be temporarily stopped to allow cabin air evaporator to stay above freezing point. Sensors before and after indicate temperature and pressure of the refrigerant before and after the compressor.

12. Electric Air Conditioner Compressor. Runs on high voltage. It is used for two purposes. To cool the air for the cabin using #16 and/or to cool the glycol loop using #13. Percents indicate compressor running speed. If cooling requirements are very small compressor will be temporarily stopped to allow cabin air evaporator to stay above freezing point. Sensors before and after indicate temperature and pressure of the refrigerant before and after the compressor.

Is this from someone who is guessing they think they know how it works?

Is this from someone who is guessing they think they know how it works?
Maybe you do better with video. This is on a model 3, but perhaps you will agree that they should be somewhat similar on the compressor cooling the battery coolant.

Perhaps nothing will sway you. Do you have ANY proof that the AC compressor is not used for both the passengers and the battery coolant, or are you just an individual expert of opinion? I am no expert. I rely on others. Please demonstrate your expertise.

Last edited:
Maybe you do better with video. This is on a model 3, but perhaps you will agree that they should be somewhat similar on the compressor cooling the battery coolant.

Perhaps nothing will sway you. Do you have ANY proof that the AC compressor is not used for both the passengers and the battery coolant, or are you just an individual expert of opinion? I am no expert. I rely on others. Please demonstrate your expertise.
As I clearly stated Where i said something to the effect of please correct me if I’m wrong. I’m pretty sure this meant I’m not an expert and was looking for actual answers not speculation. I can do a quick search on the interwebs as you obviously can do too and come up with all kinds of videos or articles that think they know how it works. Here’s a great example. Why do Tesla batteries not overheat? Tesla's battery cooling system. - Easy Electric Cars

As I clearly stated Where i said something to the effect of please correct me if I’m wrong. I’m pretty sure this meant I’m not an expert and was looking for actual answers not speculation. I can do a quick search on the interwebs as you obviously can do too and come up with all kinds of videos or articles that think they know how it works. Here’s a great example. Why do Tesla batteries not overheat? Tesla's battery cooling system. - Easy Electric Cars
Yes, I have read that article. I guess you think the Thermal Management System can keep the battery from overheating and within the critical specs using only air radiators with fans on the front to cool the glycol coolant?

Yes, I have read that article. I guess you think the Thermal Management System can keep the battery from overheating and within the critical specs using only air radiators with fans on the front to cool the glycol coolant?
Again I never said I’m an expert or know how it actually works which is why we are having this discussion.

After you read the article did it mention using the AC to cool the batteries?

Again I never said I’m an expert or know how it actually works which is why we are having this discussion.

After you read the article did it mention using the AC to cool the batteries?
"It is important though to not run the AC compressor when both the chiller and cabin are not requiring cooling. I will elaborate on this in a separate airconditioning topic."

The Tesla has a chiller for the battery cooling system that is chilled by the AC compressor. It is an Active Cooling System. Full explanation with part numbers are at: Using Tesla thermal management system parts - EVcreate

See number 8 on the Tesla Chiller. Read other sections for how this all integrates. The section on air conditioning may be interesting as well.

"Below is a simplified sketch of the cooling system in a Tesla Model S. I omitted The DC/DC converter and the chargers and some other details.

Tesla thermal management system layout

1. Battery modules
  2. Battery heater
  3. The 4-way valve
  4. The 3-way valve
  5. Pump
  6. Temperature sensor
  7. AC compressor
  8. Chiller (valve)
  9. Cabin evaporator "

Last edited:
Reactions: Gtech
My compressor (?) appears to be failing...again.

There are three symptoms I've detected causing this:
  1. Abnormally loud sound
  2. Air does not feel as 'crisp' as it would otherwise feel
  3. Cooling will stop for ~30-45s on long drives, but then come back
About a month ago Tesla service did a diagnostic on the HVAC system and found nothing wrong at that time but upon further research here it appears to be a somewhat systemic problem with other S owners.

This post from AC Noise - Loud! pretty much describes what's going on soundwise with my S.

Here's my question: is this just a fault of a poorly designed part (note the last compressor I had was a "J" so this ain't exactly Tesla's first revision here) and I should just accept replacement/failure every xx,xxx miles or so.

Or is there some other part(s) that are failing as to create excess strain on the compressor - and if so - what are those parts?