Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

air conditioner/heating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tested the AC, heater or blower while sitting in one of these betas? I love my Honda's AC and on some occasions, it is too cold. Same could be said for the heater.

That's one thing (among many) I failed to investigate while at the store the last time.

On a related question for those of you who own Roadsters, when you turn the heat on (in winter), how quickly does it get warm? My thought is that it would get warm fairly quickly compared to an ICE vehicle.

The heat comes on very quickly; however, it's a bit wimpy for truly cold conditions. At -27C it never gets warm, but certainly takes the edge off.

Great. The Roadster basically has not much in the AC department so will be a welcome change here in Texas. I think the Roadster will become my winter/convertible car (has the hard top on all the time now).

I put on the hard top last week - rainy season started on June 1st....raining now and it's already 83F at 10.00am. I'll leave it on till October; that's why I went with the Pano Roof on the S - there are days when I would love to have the top open in the summer, but certainly not worth the hassle on the Roadster.

On a related question for those of you who own Roadsters, when you turn the heat on (in winter), how quickly does it get warm? My thought is that it would get warm fairly quickly compared to an ICE vehicle.

In 13 months of ownership, I've never used the heater on the Roadster. When I referred to the Model S a/c it should be noted I was testing how fast it cooled - it was almost instant, much faster than the Roadster, and the fans provided a nice steady movement of air with little noise.

Last edited:
In 13 months of ownership, I've never used the heater on the Roadster. When I referred to the Model S a/c it should be noted I was testing how fast it cooled - it was almost instant, much faster than the Roadster, and the fans provided a nice steady movement of air with little noise.

You're a stronger person than I. I would probably shoot myself if I lived in an environment that did not require a heater at least for a few months out of the year.

But, I will admit that it can be very trying in the dead of winter waiting for the heater to kick in. Glad to know that in the Model S it will likely be instant...heater and A/C.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

You're a stronger person than I. I would probably shoot myself if I lived in an environment that did not require a heater at least for a few months out of the year.

But, I will admit that it can be very trying in the dead of winter waiting for the heater to kick in. Glad to know that in the Model S it will likely be instant...heater and A/C.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
I grew up in the Midwest and lived near Chicago for four years. You get used to winters no colder that 30-40 degrees pretty quickly.

A significant portion of the problem is overcoming the cold-soaked components (e.g. Ducts) ... Ive had the opportunity to go thru two winters - one without a garage and one with. When the car is 60F and I drive out into 0F weather, the heat is just enough to keep things comfy; the temp coming from the vents quickly gets hot. But when I STARTED at 0F the heat was awful. If I drove off immediately, it would be 10+ minutes before it started getting comfortable in the cabin. I usually per-warmed the car in those temps because the car heats up faster if it's not moving (no wind leaking in).