Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air conditioner *really* loud

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
compressor is right under coolant tank
if u wanna pop ur cowl plastic u might be able to hear better if its coming from here or even touch it to feel abnormal vibration or changes in frequency/intensity while changing cabin fan speeds
i can't quite recall how much access is blocked by Hepa filter...

1659736116262.png

My 2018 X made a similar noise when it was hot (> 90F) out and my speed was low. It has actually kind of a warbling sound and the fan for the condenser in the front reached high resonant frequencies. It died down when I started driving the car faster and usually by 10-15 mph was much quieter. It did attract a crowd at a stoplight.

So far, the 2022 with heat pump has been quiet.

that is interesting, its possible Tesla runs the compressor at diff loads depending on cabin fan speed but im not sure
keep us posted when u solve this.
confirmed on my car, that AC compressor speed is synced to cabin fan speed.
with this info, my best guess is that your freon is low so it makes compressor run much faster to reach desired temp...

Reactions: geordi and henderrj
2018 Model X air conditioner suddenly got *really* loud a few weeks ago. It cools just fine. If I turn off the compressor and merely run the air, it is not loud. It is only loud when the compressor runs.

I found a few threads about loud AC. The threads generally conclude that it is normal and not a problem as long as it cools. I'm not convinced.

I've owned the vehicle for nearly 4 years. I've never had a problem with the AC or with AC noise until now. The AC has never been this loud. Something changed.

I've made an appointment with my local service center but they are so overbooked that the appointment isn't for 6 weeks. Ugh.

Would love to hear from anyone experiencing loud AC. More than just the "normal loud." Where the noise suddenly became much louder and now sounds like an airplane engine.
Hello there! Did you end up fixing the issue? My model X is making a horrible loud sound. Do you mind to share what ended up happening?
Thank tou

I'm having exactly the same symptoms... definitely sounds like an airplane taking off. Any resolution from the SC?
I doubt it. Mainly because that is what is SUPPOSED to happen, when it gets really hot. Legacy Xs are really loud when the cooling system needs to cool things down. All Xs do that. The 22 and newer refresh models are not quite as loud, but they still put out real roar when max cooling is engaged. Most commonly when supercharging.

Reactions: brainhouston
Hello there! Did you end up fixing the issue? My model X is making a horrible loud sound. Do you mind to share what ended up happening?
Thank tou

Chiming in here on this thread in case any of you have the same issue as mine. My 22 Plaid X started doing the same thing about two weeks ago....every drive my car has exterior fan noise that is seemingly as loud as a jet. I found out how to enter service mode through this forum and when I did that I can see my error code VCFRONT_a156_louverblockage

The service mode description of this problem is: "The vehicle controller detects the front louver, or active grill shutter (AGS), is reporting a blockage."

And also says Potential Impact is "Cabin climate control system air conditioning may be limited or unavailable. Powertrain performance may be limited."

See this thread as well: New Tesla Model X LR 2023 - a lot of problems on delivery

At the SC now with my jet engine 20 Model 3 LR and they did a thermal test but came back and said the compressor is working and the noise is normal. He said they get louder with use. He pulled another M3 up and said see this one makes the same noise. Then I turned mine on and you couldn’t even hear the other one anymore. It’s much louder. He only brought someone else out and kept saying it’s normal. I’m not convinced. I haven’t heard any other M3’s this loud. I’m nearly out of warranty too.