Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air conditioner setting poll Australia & New Zealand

At which temperature do you set the airconditioner

• 19.5 Celcius or lower

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • 20 or 20.5 Celcius

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • 21 or 21.5 Celcius

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • 22 or 22.5 Celcius

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • 23 Celcius or higher

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
please note:
This poll is for Australian and New Zealand owners only, although experienced overseas owners are welcome to give their thoughts on the subject.
Vote for the setting the regular driver uses most commonly when cooling the interior whilst the car is operational.

A question I get often asked is how quickly does the battery drain when the Aircon is switched on, this question is mainly due to two reasons, 1.early electric vehicles with small batteries suffering poorly from Aircon use and 2. Even in 2019 motoring writers go in to panic mode packaging aircon use and range anxiety as often as possible.

Unless fan speed is AUTO it doesn't really matter what target temperature is set.
I tend to leave it on 22.5C with the fan speed set to 3. If I'm too hot I'll increase fan speed, too cold and decrease fan speed. Target temperature is rarely reached during summer, but more important to have cold air blowing on me than to cool the whole car down.

Reactions: Miggy
Unless fan speed is AUTO it doesn't really matter what target temperature is set.
I tend to leave it on 22.5C with the fan speed set to 3. If I'm too hot I'll increase fan speed, too cold and decrease fan speed. Target temperature is rarely reached during summer, but more important to have cold air blowing on me than to cool the whole car down.
You are confusing the compressor and the fan. They are different. If as you say the temperature setting is irrelevant in ‘manual’, put your temp on 28 with your fan on 3 and see if its any differnet 10 minutes later compared to 22.5 with fan on 3.

You are confusing the compressor and the fan. They are different. If as you say the temperature setting is irrelevant in ‘manual’, put your temp on 28 with your fan on 3 and see if its any differnet 10 minutes later compared to 22.5 with fan on 3.
The temperature is the target, and the fan speed is how hard the car will try to reach the target.
Only in AUTO is it guaranteed to try hard enough.

So if you aren't using AUTO (eg. fan speed 3) then if it's 30 degrees outside you might never get lower than say 24 degrees inside, whether your target is set to 16 or 18 or 20 or anything lower than 24 (in this example).

The temperature is the target, and the fan speed is how hard the car will try to reach the target.
Only in AUTO is it guaranteed to try hard enough.

So if you aren't using AUTO (eg. fan speed 3) then if it's 30 degrees outside you might never get lower than say 24 degrees inside, whether your target is set to 16 or 18 or 20 or anything lower than 24 (in this example).
Do you realise that the moment you adjust fan speed the system drops out of auto and into manual?

Usually I drive with the windows open since it is not very humid here in SW WA, but it does get dusty inside quickly.Today I had the 2 dogs in the car for a few hours and decided to turn bio defence mode on, it's been a while since I washed them hehe. The air quality improved but I jumped from 230w/h to 275w/h.Charging cost me nothing for 95% of the time but I still hate to see my effeciency dropping below 95%.But this time I couldn't care.

I'm nearly 6'4" (191 cms) and the Model X has a tendency to trap hot air near the roof so it is head cooling that I care about. I can put the windows down when off the Freeway (way better than the fan other than on really hot days), but above about 75kms, with windows closed, it is more about fan speed via windscreen and upper vents than the temp diff between 19 and 23 - as getting the 35+C air out of the roof zone is more important and the incoming heat from the sun is the challenge - even in "cooler" Melbourne!