Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Conditioning Blowing Hot Air

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talked to a technician at Buena Park SC today. He told me the AC was directed to the battery pack and the Model S was performing as expected.

I kind of knew what he was going to say but I was really hoping that it was not designed to bypass with normal Southern California summer temperature :(. I was hoping that something was broken and can be fixed. I guess it is back to the gas car during the hot Summer days.

Last edited:
Talked to a technician at Buena Park SC today. He told me the AC was directed to the battery pack and the Model S was performing as expected.

I kind of knew what he was going to say but I was really hoping that it was not designed to bypass with normal Southern California summer temperature :(. I was hoping that something was broken and can be fixed. I guess it is back to the gas car during the hot Summer days.

I don't think this is true. I have no issues driving in up to 120º weather here in Phoenix. I've had my AC cut out once for five minutes under these conditions in the three years I've owned the car and the three summers I've driven it in Phoenix. This also occurred after a recent firmware update, so it may very well be related to that.

• Informative
Reactions: Electricfan

In Houston where I live it regularly hits 100 deg F. I've never had a problem with the AC in either my 2013 Model S or my auto-pilot 2015 model. If Tesla actually ever told me I had to live with no AC because it was cooling the damn battery I'd have a stroke, and when I recovered I'd sue the crap out of them.

Mine has had this issue since I first got it last year. I live out here in Phoenix and first time it happened service tech said the same thing. "Expect this to happen", but now since we are over 110 daily it happens on my 30 minute commute from work to home. I then then pick up my kid from daycare and happens there...so for 5 minutes it goes from 70 degrees to 80 degrees then switches back on...my kid is still rear facing and am annoyed as well as sometimes cared to drive my car out in the heat daily.

I get this notification at least once a day...

5dltZhvv8hllSXHnQb2-s6A9NO_L2kkpVOd48AICEV0BqH-vHSxMOH12e4QrqllCwYWQg7GLpR-kIr3jUUWZONueaLifTX3ijKQlErp6bLwcbLpGKzjfsqDTe1T4CMjimhgie0ihUwYuqP6meGruOqJsYa0e0p1bF69DZ_GabR_Iz3h8H6CX0rlyfKRsAhPq5EMUL6IgezxvUwvcf5XyUXaBQ0t8FbQ8y8Al2t62oLYTb7c809Ec9_DfNngKRX8ZBCqPKNI5yQBSPk_HMHl6g1LHhnk30vxtBHew0R2cqOizBb1vYoUWqSsbZV815nWAMX2pUJieZpNLD14iksoKUiPv0Lws3GP7MoAV5okYkWyzLxI71BKvfFiPypoOv9lY5Pp84k5SZB1YIK_6d20hec0XohowgTMs-vS0hLgcHVazFn2fQjR5PiVuVdp7vf7xRhu-LDJfL-HutNezRvm6chRmy7uVxfndLBe0DgPuL7omiFU1-grHfHYqzOF3iowaYbhLOns5O98aAdVoD_UXtTdYp023D_jcr8_rmwOQfB9N_l4_nsnknkPbMx_ZXDvDaKbpUHvpLPlSg4koQZP89JlNjoZoxR0=w1620-h911-no

Mine has had this issue since I first got it last year. I live out here in Phoenix and first time it happened service tech said the same thing. "Expect this to happen", but now since we are over 110 daily it happens on my 30 minute commute from work to home. I then then pick up my kid from daycare and happens there...so for 5 minutes it goes from 70 degrees to 80 degrees then switches back on...my kid is still rear facing and am annoyed as well as sometimes cared to drive my car out in the heat daily.

I get this notification at least once a day...

5dltZhvv8hllSXHnQb2-s6A9NO_L2kkpVOd48AICEV0BqH-vHSxMOH12e4QrqllCwYWQg7GLpR-kIr3jUUWZONueaLifTX3ijKQlErp6bLwcbLpGKzjfsqDTe1T4CMjimhgie0ihUwYuqP6meGruOqJsYa0e0p1bF69DZ_GabR_Iz3h8H6CX0rlyfKRsAhPq5EMUL6IgezxvUwvcf5XyUXaBQ0t8FbQ8y8Al2t62oLYTb7c809Ec9_DfNngKRX8ZBCqPKNI5yQBSPk_HMHl6g1LHhnk30vxtBHew0R2cqOizBb1vYoUWqSsbZV815nWAMX2pUJieZpNLD14iksoKUiPv0Lws3GP7MoAV5okYkWyzLxI71BKvfFiPypoOv9lY5Pp84k5SZB1YIK_6d20hec0XohowgTMs-vS0hLgcHVazFn2fQjR5PiVuVdp7vf7xRhu-LDJfL-HutNezRvm6chRmy7uVxfndLBe0DgPuL7omiFU1-grHfHYqzOF3iowaYbhLOns5O98aAdVoD_UXtTdYp023D_jcr8_rmwOQfB9N_l4_nsnknkPbMx_ZXDvDaKbpUHvpLPlSg4koQZP89JlNjoZoxR0=w1620-h911-no
This thread is not about that notification... It's about the AC blowing hot air with no notification whatsoever. AC comes back on after the car cycles off and then back on after being parked (although @AmpedRealtor says his went out and came back on while driving)

This is my 4th AZ summer with my S and I've never seen the warning. I'd never had hot air blowing from the vents when set to AC and cooling. But we had this new issue on Sat, and Tesla had me bring the car in for a fix.

In Houston where I live it regularly hits 100 deg F. I've never had a problem with the AC in either my 2013 Model S or my auto-pilot 2015 model. If Tesla actually ever told me I had to live with no AC because it was cooling the damn battery I'd have a stroke, and when I recovered I'd sue the crap out of them.

Please call Buena Park SC. I did not ask for his name but he knew this issue. He said if it is 110 deg outside, the battery temperature will even be higher. AC is redirected to prevent battery damage.

I am seriously thinking of selling my S soon because nobody will buy Model S knowing that they have to drive it with no AC in the hot Summer days.

I also think this problem is preventable if cooling system was properly designed and sized.

I've never had AC redirected from cabin to battery and this is now my 4th summer in my S. It regularly is above 110 in Phoenix every summer...

The only time I had hot air blowing from the vents was last Sat -- and Tesla had me bring the car in to fix a particular issue that caused that.

Please call Buena Park SC. I did not ask for his name but he knew this issue. He said if it is 110 deg outside, the battery temperature will even be higher. AC is redirected to prevent battery damage.

I am seriously thinking of selling my S soon because nobody will buy Model S knowing that they have to drive it with no AC in the hot Summer days.

I also think this problem is preventable if cooling system was properly designed and sized.

Can you go to a different service center? Or contact the regional service manager for your location. You are being fed a load of crap. There is no way Tesla can say the car is designed to sacrifice the cabin AC to cool the battery. Not under any circumstances. Ever. If they officially publish that it does this, they will go under. Americans will not support a car company that says "the AC works sometimes, but not if it gets too hot". That's TRULY ludicrous!!

With more reports, this seems like a bug. This is my 4th summer with my S and I never experienced this before. Summers here are 100+ form June to Sept/Oct.

Funny... we saw the SAME exact thing on our new X --- having owned our S for nearly three years with this never happening I was surprised... even more surprised when a full power reset solved the problem 2x -- really felt like a bug /vs/ system failure.

Can you go to a different service center? Or contact the regional service manager for your location. You are being fed a load of crap. There is no way Tesla can say the car is designed to sacrifice the cabin AC to cool the battery. Not under any circumstances. Ever. If they officially publish that it does this, they will go under. Americans will not support a car company that says "the AC works sometimes, but not if it gets too hot". That's TRULY ludicrous!!

Sent an email of this issue to the tech support. Should hear from them soon. I really hope it is not a design issue.

Tesla checked my logs from June 4th when my AC cut out for about 5 minutes during the drive from LV to Phoenix. They said cabin cooling was shunted to the battery and that it happened only that one time, and that they don't see any defects or issues. So that's what happened in my case.

Tesla checked my logs from June 4th when my AC cut out for about 5 minutes during the drive from LV to Phoenix. They said cabin cooling was shunted to the battery and that it happened only that one time, and that they don't see any defects or issues. So that's what happened in my case.

I wonder if the air conditioning radiators need to be cleaned in your car to help improve the performance of the system? Tesla Service should be able to check/clean those for you, and your filter as well. While they're at it, they should check your refrigerant pressure(s) too.

I wonder if the air conditioning radiators need to be cleaned in your car to help improve the performance of the system? Tesla Service should be able to check/clean those for you, and your filter as well. While they're at it, they should check your refrigerant pressure(s) too.

Thanks for the ideas, I will be having an annual service done in a few weeks and I'll ask them to do those things.

reading this thread right, seems like its ok to drive, even if cabin a/c is not working...

I believe the car will warn you and then shut down before allowing itself to damage the battery.

That's what I believe anyway... :)

EDIT: The A/C system is considered critical enough to where Tesla evacuates the system, changes the dryer/filters and recharges the system every second maintenance. I don't recall the A/C system ever being a "maintenance" schedule item on any previous vehicle.

Mike

• Helpful
Reactions: doofenshmirtz

Did you get any message displayed when that happened?

I've never had that happen in my S -- and the A/C issue I had last Sat was different (and required a fix at the Service Center)...

I think they lied to you. (gasp, a carmaker's service organization lied to a customer! that's probably the FIRST TIME that's ever happened...)

Again, if Tesla deliberately designed a car that diverts cabin AC to the battery, leaving the occupants roasting, they'd be run out of business. The lawsuits would end them if nothing else. Imagine a baby dying in a Tesla because the AC shut off and it suffered hypothermia before the owner could get the car to a service station - if they were 10 miles from the nearest exit.