Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Conditioning Blowing Hot Air

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had this happen yesterday on my '13 S with 69K miles and roughly 107* outside.

Took the family out to see a movie. The movie ended so I started pre-cooling the car while the family was hitting the restrooms. Normally I start seeing the cabin temp drop pretty quickly but it seemed to not be lowering at all which I just thought was because of it being extra hot out. Came out to the car and noticed that there was no fan noise. The blower motor was going full speed however blasting hot air.

Got the car home and called the SC. Asked me to bring it by for them to look at real quick. Got there and they didn't have any ideas so I have an appointment Wednesday. Later in the evening once it cooled off a bit the A/C started working again just fine and was able to cool the cabin down to a chilly 60*.

Seems like just yesterday you showed up here (not long after I did) all excited anticipating delivery of your new Model S...

I know, right? Time flies. I can't believe I'm coming up on three years and 50,000 miles! My overall experience with Tesla has been so good that I would not hesitate to buy another one. In fact, I have a Model 3 on order (as does probably every Model S owner lol) and would consider getting another S or an X if the time comes.

Thanks for the thread. Looks like I'll need to contact the service center. Here's my story --
Car was cooling fine in morning and lunch. Pre-cooled at lunch, as usual. Forgot to crack the sunroof and the car got pretty hot by the time I was ready to head home it showed 132F interior temp. Turned on cooling via app, noticed that temp didn't change at all after 5 minutes, but was time to head home.
Got in car, fans are going full blast BUT the AC compressor isn't running. With this kind of heat, it would normally be whining away. Outside temp readying 108F. So I open sunroof and windows and keep messing with AC settings to try to get it to start the compressor.
... 20 minutes of driving later, and I have rebooted the center screen, I'm heading towards the service center...
Just as I'm a couple miles from the service center, I feel the AC kicked on (didn't hear it, too much wind noise from going 50-60mph). The outside temp is now 104F.

AC stayed on for rest of trip home, outside temps going from 104-108F. I'd thought maybe it triggered on 105F threshold, but the sensor being wonky sounds like the culprit.

Thanks again for everybody sharing their experiences.

Just to follow up on what happened with mine...

Dropped car off at the SC and got a loaner for the day. Looks like it was that pressure sensor everyone else talked about in the thread. Car is out of warranty but there was still no charge for the dummy plug.

PqFanrr.png

I had something like this happen an hour ago on my 3 day old P90D. So either it's last night's software upgrade or a more pernicious problem.
This is still an issue. My brand new, new body style Model S 90D that I've owned for a few weeks is having this problem as we speak. Tesla tech support couldn't see anything wrong from ota data pull, battery is not being cooled since punching the pedal results in an exclamaition mark on the power display.

Had the same issue with a refreshed ms a few weeks ago. Power off and back on resolved the issue. It felt like heated air was being blown from the vents, it felt warmer than the outside air temperature. Was on the phone with tesla service. He checked temperatures and range mode setting and then had me reboot the car and ac was working again.

Update: After reviewing the logs, Tesla service reports that the car has an issue with the AC expansion valve. I'm taking the car in for service tomorrow and they will determine if the issue is with the valve itself or just with the system's communication with the valve. More to come.

Happened to us once this summer (outside air temp over 100F) but just once.
I vaguely recall we just put it in Park for a minute and went on our way
and all was ok.

ICE Jaguar did that in Sacramento one day a few years ago (a valve in
the system developed a leak). Sold the Jaguar and bought Tesla :)

• Funny
Reactions: doofenshmirtz
I've had this happen twice both after Supercharges. Once in Nevada very hot weather. No warnings, can't remember how it came back maybe a reboot? Happened again a couple weeks ago in Oregon. Resetting screens did nothing. Turning off the car and back on resolved the issue.

I've had this happen twice both after Supercharges. Once in Nevada very hot weather. No warnings, can't remember how it came back maybe a reboot? Happened again a couple weeks ago in Oregon. Resetting screens did nothing. Turning off the car and back on resolved the issue.

This happened to me today at a Supercharger.

I was trying to charge in CT and got the dreaded "Unable to charge" message. After talking with tech support and rebooting the car a few different ways, including a full power cycle, it was determined that the issue was with the charger and not the car. So, I went to the superchargers on the other side of the highway (I was on the southbound side, moved to the northbound side), plugged in, and it started charging. Whew.

I went inside to get some food but when I got back into the car, the A/C was blowing hot air (even on the "Low" setting. I opened the windows and waited until it finished charging after reading this thread. When the car was done charging, I unplugged it from the supercharger and then powered off the car. When the car came back on, the air was cool again!

Seems like many things with the car are solved by rebooting in one way or another.

• Helpful
Reactions: DrManhattan
Just had this happen yesterday on my '13 S with 69K miles and roughly 107* outside.

Took the family out to see a movie. The movie ended so I started pre-cooling the car while the family was hitting the restrooms. Normally I start seeing the cabin temp drop pretty quickly but it seemed to not be lowering at all which I just thought was because of it being extra hot out. Came out to the car and noticed that there was no fan noise. The blower motor was going full speed however blasting hot air.

Got the car home and called the SC. Asked me to bring it by for them to look at real quick. Got there and they didn't have any ideas so I have an appointment Wednesday. Later in the evening once it cooled off a bit the A/C started working again just fine and was able to cool the cabin down to a chilly 60*.

I had almost exactly the same thing happen. What I finally figured out was that when I tried to precondition the car, I had somehow set the temperature on high. Once I dropped the temperature back to 72 and returned the Climate System to Auto, everything was fine.

MS75R 2016 having this issue right now driving from Stockton, CA to SF. Exterior T82F Interior 96F set at 70F. No bueno.

Called Tesla. They said 10/28 is earliest service visit. I told them I'll be there Friday, 9/16 if this is still happening on a 2 month old car.

The intermittent A/C problem just started happening to me yesterday. It was only 80 degrees outside, but the AC air felt about the same temp as the outside air. When I left the car for a few minutes and got back in it was fine. Then later it stopped working again. It was like every other time I used the car the A/C would work. I have 2016 90D Model S Refresh 3k miles.

Same thing happened to me yesterday as well in my 15 p85d and took into service as they werent that busy in dallas and they found that the unit was stuck in defrost mode and no air was coming out the normal vents. he coudlnt find what caused it though