Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Conditioning Blowing Hot Air

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I am still having this problem, had it since the beginning when I got the car in July last year. Took it to the tempe sc as it had been blowing hot air for an hour. SC plugged in a laptop and said that 'should' fix it but who knows. We like to to go to cali when it gets hot here in az but no way we will be taking the tesla, we will just rent a car instead as we just dont trust the thing and you don't want to be stranded on I-10 with no ac and kids in the car ect. I got the feeling this is happening but I also don't think they know how to fix it either, the sc said it was a cracked valve back in Sept but then it happened a couple of weeks later. That is the thing about this that SC doesn't seem to understand, it isn't a mechanical issue with the ac, there is no way it can work and then 1 hour later it doesn't work, and then 1 hour later it works again, it has to be an sensor glitch or something of that nature. I am beginning to see that when you take a car into tesla the SC

people don't really know how to fix these cars since they are mostly electric they just look at most problems as a 'firmware issue' or 'did you try rebooting'. Kind of reminds me of dealing with smartphones/laptops ect just reboot and that should fix it, cars are a little more complicated though. Its getting to the point with me that this 80k car is a love/hate best car I've ever owned, but also the worst car. If this was a BMW/Mercedes which I have owned several of both it would have been fixed at the service center and guaranteed to work where as Tesla they just kind of stare at you.

Well I am still having this problem, had it since the beginning when I got the car in July last year. Took it to the tempe sc as it had been blowing hot air for an hour. SC plugged in a laptop and said that 'should' fix it but who knows. We like to to go to cali when it gets hot here in az but no way we will be taking the tesla, we will just rent a car instead as we just dont trust the thing and you don't want to be stranded on I-10 with no ac and kids in the car ect. I got the feeling this is happening but I also don't think they know how to fix it either, the sc said it was a cracked valve back in Sept but then it happened a couple of weeks later. That is the thing about this that SC doesn't seem to understand, it isn't a mechanical issue with the ac, there is no way it can work and then 1 hour later it doesn't work, and then 1 hour later it works again, it has to be an sensor glitch or something of that nature. I am beginning to see that when you take a car into tesla the SC
IMHO, based on what I went thru keeping two classic car AC systems running for decades, you have a hardware issue. Someone on this thread, I think, had what seemed to me to have a sensor tied to the coolant system was the issue. It may be worth, for an hours worth of labor charges, to take the car into a firm that deals only with automotive airconditioning systems (modern and/or vintage).
IMHO, having an old experienced ac chap hook up your high side and low side to run pressures can often diagnose an issue that would baffle someone who relies solely on plugging a laptop into a car to test the software or run built in test protocols.
Edit: of course, when it is an intermittent issue, always confirm you have good, solid electrical grounds in the circuits involved.

Well, for what it's worth, I've had this once in the past and just recently this afternoon. I rebooted twice. No luck. What sorted it out for me was clicking on the climate control button followed by toggling the "auto" on / off button.

The system worked perfectly from that point on..
I think this most likely is a software problem or a sensor error. My car is early 2016

people don't really know how to fix these cars since they are mostly electric they just look at most problems as a 'firmware issue' or 'did you try rebooting'. Kind of reminds me of dealing with smartphones/laptops ect just reboot and that should fix it, cars are a little more complicated though. Its getting to the point with me that this 80k car is a love/hate best car I've ever owned, but also the worst car. If this was a BMW/Mercedes which I have owned several of both it would have been fixed at the service center and guaranteed to work where as Tesla they just kind of stare at you.
Friend of mine sold his 2015 BMW M3 because they just couldn't fix it. Battery was replaced. They had to pair the new battery at the dealer (software). Non-stop electrical issues after that (probably before and the battery wasn't the problem).

My 6 week old 100d has been having this problem almost every other day. Of course the morning I took it in for investigation the a/c was working fine so they said there was nothing they could do. They also said my logs didn't show any errors. I've tried the various tips in this thread to no avail. It seems to go out when I need it the most.

My 6 week old 100d has been having this problem almost every other day. Of course the morning I took it in for investigation the a/c was working fine so they said there was nothing they could do. They also said my logs didn't show any errors. I've tried the various tips in this thread to no avail. It seems to go out when I need it the most.
I posted this a while back, if you already read it and tried it, please ignore:

IMHO, based on what I went thru keeping two classic car AC systems running for decades, you have a hardware issue. Someone on this thread, I think, had what seemed to me to have a sensor tied to the coolant system was the issue. It may be worth, for an hours worth of labor charges, to take the car into a firm that deals only with automotive airconditioning systems (modern and/or vintage).
IMHO, having an old experienced ac chap hook up your high side and low side to run pressures can often diagnose an issue that would baffle someone who relies solely on plugging a laptop into a car to test the software or run built in test protocols.
Edit: of course, when it is an intermittent issue, always confirm you have good, solid electrical grounds in the circuits involved.

I had this problem on my new 100D in March. I called the SC and they said I had a "fault" of some sort, and I scheduled an appointment. I also did a reboot (per the SC's instructions), and the next day it started working just fine. I have never had the issue return since then. (I canceled the appointment, never needed it)

I had this problem on my new 100D in March. I called the SC and they said I had a "fault" of some sort, and I scheduled an appointment. I also did a reboot (per the SC's instructions), and the next day it started working just fine. I have never had the issue return since then. (I canceled the appointment, never needed it)

Reboot as in hold down the two scroll wheels on the steering or is there some other reboot? Thanks

Update - Tesla Service found an error with the expansion valve and/or battery chiller. they replaced the parts. Looks like I am good to go. So ask your SC about expansion valve if you are having this issue

'13 S 60kw. 52k miles (2 weeks CPO).

During the fathers day heat wave, we had a horrible experience. Sunday morning the A/C was working fine. We parked outdoors for about an hour and a half during the weekend heat wave. When we were back in the car, it would only blow hot air. Ext temp 113F. Vehicle interior temp 125F. I toggled every climate control button and nothing fixed it. Range mode off. A/C on Lo and all Auto.

Drove the hour in the ridiculous heat, free way driving. It just kept pumping out hot air. Actually stopped by a SC to get help and they were unable to help me on a Sunday. Ran all the reboots and no change. Kept on driving in the heat...

This morning the A/C is working just fine again and my SC appointment isn't until Friday.

I've read on thread like this, but their hot air was persistent, their A/C didn't recover like mine. Hope there is enough data in the vehicle that Tesla SC can figure out what happened. Anyone else experience this?
Same thing happened to me... fixed it by holding both buttons down on steering wheel to reset display... hasn't happened since...

Update - Tesla Service found an error with the expansion valve and/or battery chiller. they replaced the parts. Looks like I am good to go. So ask your SC about expansion valve if you are having this issue
I probably should have read one post more before launching in... but hey... software glitch in my case I guess.

Took ownership of my new Model S this past Thursday, and having the same issue. Phone support had me try restarting both screens, and the car itself. Interestingly, mine was not parked in 100°+ temps; it’s in the mid-80s in the garage, and in the mid-90s in the car.

Service call tomorrow.

Bummer of a start to Tesla ownership.

Have any of you checked the climate control to see if the AC is turned off? I had an issue on my new Model X where it started blowing hot air and noticed the AC was turned off in the climate control. Mobile service tech found that the o ring was broken and caused a leakage of the refrigerant. I guess the car knew something was up and turned the AC off by itself?

I can add another voice to the Model X Air Conditioning saga. We took delivery of our Model X 90D on May 3, 2016.

We've had more jet-engine-loud fan noises over the past year. (It's actually a little embarrassing, and since we live in Texas, the A/C is on for all but 3-4 months of the year). But today, we could NOT get the A/C to come on at all.

Of course, this occurs on hot August day in Texas, while we have 6 family members along on a road trip 2.5 hours away.

We tried soft reboots, and multiple Power Off cycles, to no avail.

Interestingly, the car seems to be aware that something is wrong with the A/C. When you turn Climate on, and hit the AUTO button with temp set to LO, everything looks normal (fan speed, vents) except that the A/C setting switches to OFF by default. You can manually turn it ON, but no cold air. Hit AUTO again, and returns the A/C mode to OFF. Really odd.

For us, this didn't affect our drive home (no problems with battery temperature).

But, I can confirm that if you run the Tesla fan at full when there's no A/C available, your interior cabin will get warmer than the outside ambient air temp (no big surprise). So, we rode home with all the windows down.

I'll post my repair details as soon as we can get the car slotted for service.

Update: 3.5 days in repair, but they got us in the shop on very short notice. Loaner 2014 (?) Model S.
Tesla Service took care of 14 items at ZERO cost (some of which we were not aware).

Our repair looks similar to other Model X owners:
Corrections: Reposition A/C Condenser Pipes And Replace Desiccant Bag Re-positioned AC lines and verified normal operation.
MX, CFM, COND, IRD SERVICE KIT 1 (1048528-00-A)
O-RING, HNBR, 12.22mm (ID) x 2.48mm (T) 1 (1010832-00-A)

And:
Corrections: Pipes - High/Low Pressure - Condenser to Chiller Replaced discharge line and verified normal operation.
AC LINE ASY,DISCHARGE,MDL X (1032196 1 -00-D)

Air conditioning system was inoperative due to a leak causing fans to run high to cool system.
Inspected cooling system after Air conditioning system repairs to verify normal operation.

I hope this helps someone out there.
My one complaint: Tesla Service let me know that there was an error log that mentioned something like "low coolant". There was NO dash warning of any kind. If customers had access to this information, it could save a lot of useless diagnosis time. In short, I'd love to see the detailed logs of this car, whenever I want.

I got my 75D model S in March of 2017. I have had similar AC problems ever since. My car is currently in the Tempe SC. It is an intermittent problem that usually happens when I go on a trip. I have been assured that the other Tesla owners in Phoenix do not have this problem. However, each trip to the SC has resulted in a software update only, with the assurance that *this* time, the issue is resolved. I realize that intermittent problems are hard to fix, but 18 months seems like a long enough time to figure something out.

I got my 75D model S in March of 2017. I have had similar AC problems ever since. My car is currently in the Tempe SC. It is an intermittent problem that usually happens when I go on a trip. I have been assured that the other Tesla owners in Phoenix do not have this problem. However, each trip to the SC has resulted in a software update only, with the assurance that *this* time, the issue is resolved. I realize that intermittent problems are hard to fix, but 18 months seems like a long enough time to figure something out.
I had the same issue, especially anytime I ran it in camper mode in the hot sun for a long time on a hot day... ice builds up and muffles the flow and eventually the car can't cool faster than it heats up... they are working on a software fix,

FWIW until the software fix occurs, when I'm worried this is going to happen, I treat my car like it has no preconditioning and I turn the off camper mode and/or I don't idle.... It definitely sucks that it's not fixed yet.... as it is super uncomfortable whenever it occurs and forces a driver to choose to pull over and let it thaw, or power through in misery.

Lately, I've been suffering a new glitch... my easy entry and seat settings save way too far forward. So it will literally fold me like a taco if I let it.

Also, I'm finding the car doesn't unlock via app anymore if my fob isn't nearby. This is also super annoying.

A lot of attention needs to be paid to the functions that ensure the driver can enter and start the car and drive with climate working. It's this sort of glitchy buggy behavior that makes me hold off on the second Tesla for a family member.

I think my car is the best car on earth, even when a new firmware update annoys me with bugs.... but it is a separate thing if this were to happen to a family member without a proper respect for car awesomeness..... think about Grandma Agnes who simply wanted to go to the piggly wiggly to buy a new box of adult diapers so she can knit quietly and soil herself in peace during ludicrous launches with her grandson..... we've all been there right?