Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Conditioning Blowing Hot Air

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@buttershrimp suggest putting the car in recirculation mode and see if that helps?

Mine had the freezing problem. They fixed it by replacing an intake actuator. But, now I notice that when I put it on fresh air, I get absolutely no air-flow. They are investigating.

But, I'm wondering if the problem is the balance between outside air and recirc.

• Informative
Reactions: buttershrimp
ice builds up
This reminds me of the HVAC systems in 1970s Lincolns, when the POA valve was not doing its job right (or, the level of refrigerant was low).

In both cases, I remember wiring up a switch into the compressor clutch circuit.

When the evaporator core started to freeze up (and the air flow into the passenger compartment became muted), I simply used my new switch to remotely uncouple the compressor clutch and let the whole system continue to run, but without the compressor running.

When the ice was melted, the temperature of the air coming out of the vents would rise and then I knew to re-engage the compressor.

Perhaps try to deselect "AC" next time and keep driving with the HVAC system on......while the ice melts, you should still get some cooling.

Reactions: buttershrimp
Parked outside yesterday a little longer than usual. Hot day in Vegas ac was running when I went to leave, figured it was cabin over heat protection. Got in and it warned me AC reduced. It was blowing hot air.

Tried mcu reset and dash reset, didn't fix it.

Figured it would cool off after driving a little. It kept blowing hot. Checked louvers, closed.

Let it charge over night. In the morning same problem.

Called support. They said inverter was overheating and needed to cool off. And car needed reset.. the reset it needed was to power off for 2hrs. Disconnect Bluetooth, exit phone app, remove USB storage. Turn off sentry. Turn off the car in service. Walk away, don't bring the key near it, and wait 2hrs. It worked.

I mentioned ac is cool but not cold while parked but is cold when driving. Support said to schedule maintenance if the reboot fixes it or not, will try to have that done at the same time as the airbag change.

Tldr: power off 2hrs was the reset mine needed.

After the reset it was cold while driving, cool while stopped. Once the error message came up it would blow hot, stopped or driving.

Had the car back for an hr now, running good. Stopped at a super charger, but there was only one spot, and I'm at 60% SOC so it's only taking 45kw. AC still cold, no error messages. And outside temp is 107f.

Pulling off to let someone else charge.