Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air conditioning diverted to battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm... ran into this again today, but just while driving home from work, not even on a road trip. 109 degrees outside according to the dash, and I had driven 22.4 miles / 32 minutes when the alert came on. Air diverted for about 3-4 minutes.

Happening on a road trip was less concerning; if it's happening on my regular commute now, I can only imagine it will get worse as the summer gets hotter.

I don't see anything in the vents and they appear to be working as normally as I understand them to; does anyone know if Tesla offers a service to check the cooling system for problems and, if so, how much it might run?

View attachment 307102 View attachment 307103

If you call them off of warranty they will check it out and tell you what's wrong and how much to fix. They have never charged me for diagnosing the problem.

Reactions: MP3Mike
was range mode on (try turning it OFF?) - I was told that can cause the battery to run hotter - I'm still not sure that's a good answer as I like to do summer roadtrips in the southwest and range mode is gonna come in handy.

As mentioned earlier, I never use range mode and confirmed that it's off.

Thanks everyone - I'll give Tesla a call about the remote diagnostic. Got a trip from PHX to Las Vegas in about two weeks and would hate to do it with a half-functional air conditioner on large segments of the trip!

Hmm... ran into this again today, but just while driving home from work, not even on a road trip. 109 degrees outside according to the dash, and I had driven 22.4 miles / 32 minutes when the alert came on. Air diverted for about 3-4 minutes.

Happening on a road trip was less concerning; if it's happening on my regular commute now, I can only imagine it will get worse as the summer gets hotter.

I don't see anything in the vents and they appear to be working as normally as I understand them to; does anyone know if Tesla offers a service to check the cooling system for problems and, if so, how much it might run?

View attachment 307102 View attachment 307103
Driving my P85 in AZ heat since 2013 and never received an alert of AC being diverted. Something isn't right, get it checked out.

This also brings up a related curiosity... I'm out of normal warranty (July 2016, but 52,000 miles) but if the AC system is so tightly integrated into the battery cooling function, I'd wonder if a major cooling problem would be considered a drivetrain issue?...

Good question! Same applies to me now that I'm off the general warranty period. I'll ask next Friday when I'm in for service. An A/C hose near the condenser sprung a leak and system has lost compressor oil and freon pressure. A/C is inop and zero cold blow. I have a popup saying there'll be diminished A/C for cooling and charging may be diminished because it's detecting the low A/C pressure won't even try to start the pump.

I'm thinking if A/C is integral to the battery operations would this be considered a warranty item under the 8 yr / unlimited drive train warranty? I'll ask. Nothing to lose.

Maybe if the A/C pressure loss was due to a condenser leak caused by a rock flying into it, conceivably that wouldn't be covered by any warranty... simply an unlucky road hazard. But a leaky hose is parts and workmanship of the car. So maybe...

I'm thinking if A/C is integral to the battery operations would this be considered a warranty item under the 8 yr / unlimited drive train warranty? I'll ask. Nothing to lose.

There is no 8 year/unlimited mile drivetrain warranty. However, there is a 8 year/unlimited mileage drive unit and battery warranty.

It doesn't cover chargers, charge port, A/C or anything other than the drive unit and battery. (Though Tesla has been known to goodwill some repairs.)

You're right, I just say drive train as a short form of referring to the battery and DU. It's kind of an ICE carry over, where drivetrain referred to all the propulsion gear of a car... engine and its cooling and fueling systems, transmission, transaxles, center differential, yadda yadda.

With Tesla EV most of this stuff is put in one place, the DU..

But you can see here that A/C is not just a casual player in the heath and operation of the battery, so .. it is a fundamentally required system for the battery. Simply put, if lack of A/C toasts the battery due to overheating and Tesla has to honor the 8 yr battery warranty, it might just be cheaper to do the A/C work gratis to avoid that cost. Similar argument for the glycol system that cools the DU, if it sprung a leak at some junction and ran dry... not good.

Simply put, if lack of A/C toasts the battery due to overheating and Tesla has to honor the 8 yr battery warranty, it might just be cheaper to do the A/C work gratis to avoid that cost.

But that damage is not likely to ever happen as Tesla monitors the A/C/cooling system and will throttle, or shutdown, the car if it isn't working properly. Unlike in an ICE where if the cooling system fails you can continue to drive full-out until the engine blows up.

There have been many cases of the chargers failing out of warranty and Tesla would only repair/replace them if the customer paid. (Same with when the A/C compressor shorts out and blows the DC-DC converter fuse. Tesla made the people pay for both the A/C compressor and the DC-DC converter to get them back on the road.)

Interesting. there is a thread that mentions people experiencing an issue with the a/c blowing warm for a short period of time, then back to cool. I myself have experienced this on our 2017 S 75. Don't recall seeing the warning though. I wonder if this is more normal than what we realized with the A/C being used to cool battery for a second. I was always under the impression that there was two HVAC systems on the car but now I feel I was wrong.

Interesting. there is a thread that mentions people experiencing an issue with the a/c blowing warm for a short period of time, then back to cool. I myself have experienced this on our 2017 S 75. Don't recall seeing the warning though. I wonder if this is more normal than what we realized with the A/C being used to cool battery for a second. I was always under the impression that there was two HVAC systems on the car but now I feel I was wrong.

In all my cases, about two minutes into the AC blowing warmer, a small "!" appears at the top of the center screen, which you can touch to see the warning about the AC being diverted.

I haven't had an opportunity to reach out to Tesla yet, but I did (again) turn on the air and verify that I can feel airflow in the front of the car. I did also notice that if I turn the air on via the app while I'm at work, that the car gets loud enough to hear it through my office windows (if I park out front of them) which is a little weird to me. But, hopefully there are no issues and if there are, Tesla can diagnose them remotely.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy