Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air conditioning maxing at 7-Not Extended Range Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed the fan was a bit louder on my way into work this morning, with the weather not being too hot its hard to be 100% certain but I do think the fan speed is better. What I did to test was heat the car to 96F , then took a video of setting the climate to various settings which can be seen below.

Screenshot_2015-07-08-20-14-42_zpssz3ti2cu.png

And the youtube video..

Last edited by a moderator:
I received the update this morning, so I should be able to tell when I run out for lunch today whether it improves the situation. What was odd in my case is that mornings were always fine. The AC seemed to kick in to high gear and actually be too cold in the morning when the car inside/outside temp are roughly the same, but not in the extreme sun and heat of day. I will update in a few hours when I know whether it solved the problem.

I just checked and the behavior is the same even on the .250 update. I spoke with the service center who was able to confirm it happened on cars they have there as well and they are going to reach out to engineering to see if there is any updated info on the problem and/or fix.

Because ServicehelpNa contacted the service center, I spoke with them for a bit this morning. I was told that with 6.1 there was a change made and there have been multiple complaints about the auto fanspeed. I was told a feature request will be created and if enough people ask for a feature it normally gets the engineers attention.

Getting something to work correctly - something which works fine in every other vehicle manufactured on earth, it seems - that should not be a feature request.

- - - Updated - - -

Best thing you FL owners can do is send email/feature requests to Tesla. Remember most of the product managers and engineers for Tesla are in Cali. They don't understand what hot summers are :)

Actually, with something like this, the best thing you can do is tweet @ElonMusk and put him on the spot. That's the only way it's going to be taken seriously, I'm afraid. The HVAC complaints have raged since 2012, so we are now 3 years in and nothing has changed and only gotten worse. I think it's time for some public tweets. At this point, you'd think the software designers over at Fisker designed the Model S HVAC system.

I had .251 install overnight last night. My perception today is that the fan activity is more aggressive. I saw it ramp up to 10 at noon today, slowly work down to around 6. Then I went through the Timmy's drive-thru for a quick fix with my window open and it cranked back up to 9.

Too early to say for sure, but first impressions are that they've been reading the complaints and have made some changes!! :)

Great to hear that.

If you don't mind, what state are you located and how many summers have you owned your Tesla? Do you have a pano-roof?

I am in Texas, need a good A/C unit, and worry that to save electrons, Tesla may have used a minimal A/C system relative to an ICE vehicle.

I am considering the Model X, so that has a huge amount of overhead glass.

Thanks