Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Conditioning on the PLAID

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in L.A. and had to drive out the valley today. It was warm today. That said - I'm not sure my air conditioning is working correctly. Yeah, it blows cold air but just not enough. If the car is hot - hotter inside than out - I put all the windows down to get a quick, fresh cool air reboot for a minute. But today it never really got cool enough in the car. Not sure if this is my car or if others in warm climate are having the same experience.

Well, I don't have it in - whatever name the mode is for drag strip readiness. (that's another setting). I just leave it in PLAID all the time because it's fun. But would that sap energy from the compressor? Or rather, would it put the compressor in a kind of low energy mode to devote ALL the power to motor? I can try.

Well, I don't have it in - whatever name the mode is for drag strip readiness. (that's another setting). I just leave it in PLAID all the time because it's fun. But would that sap energy from the compressor? Or rather, would it put the compressor in a kind of low energy mode to devote ALL the power to motor? I can try.
I don't have a Plaid. But I read Plaid mode does extra cooling/heating similar to drag strip mode.
It's putting components in ideal temperatures. Sometimes it's heating some things sometimes it's cooling some things.

Have you bothered to check the manual? There is only one cooling system.

Note
Insane or Plaid strives to keep the Battery within an optimal temperature range. In addition to heating the Battery, these settings also cool the battery when necessary (for example, while driving at high speeds, during rapid acceleration, driving for long periods, etc.).

What you say didn't make sense - since I assume fans were being used to cool the batteries. I'm also of the mind the battery cooling system had a water-to-air set up - a heat exchanger (aka a "radiator"). So that wouldn't have an effect on the cabin's temp. Pretty sure this is what was being used on the P85D I had before this (which I did not have issues like this). However, according to the PLAID manual, it says the compressor is ALSO used to cool the batteries on hot days. This might be the culprit (and what I would consider a bit of a design flaw - there should be a separate compressor each purpose - dumb to rob cooling in the cabin to keep batteries chilled. I have to sweat? That ain't right. I was on the freeway, sure, but is that considered "driving at high speeds"...? Some old timey cars - ICE - like my old Porsche - would cut the compressor out on hard acceleration, but that wasn't because it was used to cool the engine, but because the compressor has an "insertion" loss in the system - and power it uses to spin it is power that's not going to acceleration. But that would only be a brief cut off. But it turns out the PLAID also has both a liquid heat exchanger with coolant, AND it shares the compressor with the cabin? Hm. That's kinda screwed up. I might take it in to make sure it's working properly.

What you say didn't make sense - since I assume fans were being used to cool the batteries. I'm also of the mind the battery cooling system had a water-to-air set up - a heat exchanger (aka a "radiator"). So that wouldn't have an effect on the cabin's temp. Pretty sure this is what was being used on the P85D I had before this (which I did not have issues like this). However, according to the PLAID manual, it says the compressor is ALSO used to cool the batteries on hot days. This might be the culprit (and what I would consider a bit of a design flaw - there should be a separate compressor each purpose - dumb to rob cooling in the cabin to keep batteries chilled. I have to sweat? That ain't right. I was on the freeway, sure, but is that considered "driving at high speeds"...? Some old timey cars - ICE - like my old Porsche - would cut the compressor out on hard acceleration, but that wasn't because it was used to cool the engine, but because the compressor has an "insertion" loss in the system - and power it uses to spin it is power that's not going to acceleration. But that would only be a brief cut off. But it turns out the PLAID also has both a liquid heat exchanger with coolant, AND it shares the compressor with the cabin? Hm. That's kinda screwed up. I might take it in to make sure it's working properly.
I didn't design the car. Why don't you try turning it off first to see if it even is related. Then ask others that run in Plaid mode in hot climates if they see the same thing.

Or go with your plan and let them rip it apart and check it out. Maybe ask them to put a 2nd compressor in while you're at it.
I personally avoid the service center like the plague.

"Why don't you try turning it off first to see if it even is related. " ??? You mean turning off the PLAID mode and trying it in the other modes?

By posting here I'm basically asking others that run in PLAID mode. I assume if they have the same issue, they'd pipe up.

And I doubt they'd "rip it apart" - most likely they run it and put in a temp gauge. If it's not cooling to spec, they'd probably check to see if the freon is up to snuff. I did once buy a pricey air conditioner for my house - and it simply wasn't cooling property. The installer came and insisted it was working fine. Twice. Then I hired someone else to check it and lo and behold - it needed freon. He topped it up and then it worked fine. And they I went to town on the original installer on YELP.

The only way to know is to check the intake and outlet air temp. If the delta (change) is within spec (probably more than 20 degrees), it's working fine.

I bought a sunshade for the roof. The glass roof is adding a lot of heat load that I feel.

Reactions: Plaidale
By posting here I'm basically asking others that run in PLAID mode. I assume if they have the same issue, they'd pipe up.

No, you didn’t post here to ask others if they were having the problem with A/C in Plaid Mode. You never even mentioned Plaid Mode. I did. I guessed it based on your member name.

If you don’t want to collect data before approaching the SC. That’s up to you.

I collect every bit of information prepared for dumb responses. Maybe it makes absolutely no difference and your A/C is really F’d up. Instead you’ll go in giving them an exit route.

No sir, I tried it in all modes and it still wasn’t cooling.

Reactions: LJG0053
I think the biggest problem is heat soaking from the sun.

Is your car tinted? I did mine the other day and WOW what a difference. I can leave the AC at 72 and it's cool. Before I was running 70 or 68 and at much higher fan speeds (on AUTO).

There's a ton of heat being dumped into the cabin from those nearly horizontal glass surfaces. Every bit of that interior heats up and adds BTU load that the AC has to overcome to cool the entire cabin. If your dash/seats/deck is 130F (not uncommon), it's going to take a while to cool the interior down. I'm assuming you have black interior.

Reactions: LJG0053
Also, you could set your car to cool (Keep mode) for about 30 minutes before you get in it. Just set the temp to about 70 and let it do it's thing.
When you get in the car, it should be comfortable.

It may burn a KWH of battery, but at least you'll know if your AC is working properly.

Drive my car in Plaid always. It’s not doing anything special in plaid mode to the battery beyond what it usually does. Only drag strip mode does that.

AC in plaid mode is as cold as I want it to be. That said I have a white interior and ceramic tint on every panel of glass including the windshield.