Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air conditioning reduced - DC Fast Charging / Supercharging rate may be reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there are a few threads on this already, but they looked to be older and perhaps not as much information was known as now?

I just had this happen to me over Labor Day weekend coming back to Colorado from a trip to Nebraska. It was a hot day ~95 F, but I have just moved here from Arizona, and it wasn't AZ hot! I stopped to supercharge 3 times, and it was after the last supercharging session of only about 15 mins, that I got the AC reduced. Also, it was not reduced, it was totally shut off. There was no cool air whatsoever! It reminded me of a windy day in AZ. :) Luckily we were just about home after that last charge, so I only had to put up with no AC for about 45 mins. It would have sucked if this happened after the first charge. I got home around 5pm, parked in the garage and the fan continued to run until the time I went to bet around 10 pm, and both side louvres were closed the entire time. By this time, it had cooled off into the low 70's, so I parked it outside and by the time I got up in the morning, fan had finally stopped running and it seemed back to normal.

I took it into the service center today, and the story I am getting back is everything is working within tolerance levels. They said the car will protect the battery at all costs, so it is normal not to have any AC in the cabin as it redirects the air to the battery. He also said that is the reason the side louvres were shut, is to keep the cool air inside the battery. This did not make sense to me since I figured the reason the louvers opened was to get air from the outside flowing over the battery. But he said there is also a louver in the middle part of the bumper to get fresh air which I guess is hard to see.

Anyway, I just wanted to make sure this is the same story everyone else is getting. My 4-year warranty expires in March, and there will not be a lot of hot days between now and then to have this happen again. If there is something that needs to be fixed, I want to know about it now, before warranty runs out! It doesn't make sense to me why this never happened in AZ when it was much hotter, unless there was a software update that changed to this behavior, due to the battery catching fire issues. One thing for sure is driving on a hot day with no AC is not something I expect when I buy a $100k car!

My AC system generally works well, but I do recall loosing some interior cooling while in AZ with lots of driving and Supercharging. The car had decided the battery needed to stay cooler than me and my wife. At some point I got out of the sun for a while and AC worked well for a bit, till there was just too much heat again.

2016 Model X P90D
Supercharging yesterday in 100F+ Fresno temp...5 mins in the "Air Conditioning Reduced" message/alert popped up. Air warmed. Charged for 15 mins and back to work...A/C did not cool on short drive back to office. Sitting at desk, noticed interior temp 120F+...turned cabin overheat on/off from app...didn't matter/help. After work and driving home, A/C still only blowing hot air. Roadside assistance had me reboot and turn car completely off...didn't help...said to take it to Service Center (SC). This morning got in it to go to SC, tried A/C and heard squealing/screeching...only blowing hot air. SC diagnosed this afternoon as bad compressor with metal shavings now in the system. Wondering if the supercharging and switch to "Air conditioning reduced" caused the A/C compressor to blow up, or was the compressor/system going bad to trigger the "Air conditioning reduced" alert? Thanks for the help!

2016 Model X P90D
Supercharging yesterday in 100F+ Fresno temp...5 mins in the "Air Conditioning Reduced" message/alert popped up. Air warmed. Charged for 15 mins and back to work...A/C did not cool on short drive back to office. Sitting at desk, noticed interior temp 120F+...turned cabin overheat on/off from app...didn't matter/help. After work and driving home, A/C still only blowing hot air. Roadside assistance had me reboot and turn car completely off...didn't help...said to take it to Service Center (SC). This morning got in it to go to SC, tried A/C and heard squealing/screeching...only blowing hot air. SC diagnosed this afternoon as bad compressor with metal shavings now in the system. Wondering if the supercharging and switch to "Air conditioning reduced" caused the A/C compressor to blow up, or was the compressor/system going bad to trigger the "Air conditioning reduced" alert? Thanks for the help!
After years of wear and tear, it fails when it's time to fail. No need to blame the compressor or the Supercharger.

So what is the last straw that breaks the camel's back?

When it's time to fail, and it works too hard, that's a good time to fail.

Hot weather and Supercharging are both good times for your Air Conditioning to overwork, so a combo of both is a good time to fail.

How much will it cost you and how long do you have to wait?

After years of wear and tear, it fails when it's time to fail. No need to blame the compressor or the Supercharger.

So what is the last straw that breaks the camel's back?

When it's time to fail, and it works too hard, that's a good time to fail.

Hot weather and Supercharging are both good times for your Air Conditioning to overwork, so a combo of both is a good time to fail.

How much will it cost you and how long do you have to wait?
$3K. Should be done tomorrow. Thanks