Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Conditioning Reduced DC FastCharging/Supercharging rate may be reduced -Error Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016 Model X P90D
Supercharging yesterday in 100F+ Fresno temp...5 mins in the "Air Conditioning Reduced" message/alert popped up. Air warmed. Charged for 15 mins and back to work...A/C did not cool on short drive back to office. Sitting at desk, noticed interior temp 120F+...turned cabin overheat on/off from app...didn't matter/help. After work and driving home, A/C still only blowing hot air. Roadside assistance had me reboot and turn car completely off...didn't help...said to take it to Service Center (SC). This morning got in it to go to SC, tried A/C and heard squealing/screeching...only blowing hot air. SC diagnosed this afternoon as bad compressor with metal shavings now in the system. Wondering if the supercharging and switch to "Air conditioning reduced" caused the A/C compressor to blow up, or was the compressor/system going bad to trigger the "Air conditioning reduced" alert? Thanks for the help!

FWIW, apparently the 6 and 7 seaters don't have a second compressor, they only have a second condenser. Unfortunately, the Internet is always rife with misinformation. I, too, was under the impression that there was a second compressor until I was corrected by someone who would know.
Just wanna correct this, X has second Evaporator for the rear. Condenser is whats outside the car with a fan behind it. X has one, S has 2.
FYI, i haven't ever came across a car with 2 compressors...

The X does not have louvers, and the 2nd stage of cooling sounds more like many fans and a very faint low pitch rumble. We never heard the low pitch rumble before this repair so fingers crossed the condenser was the issue.
X does have louvers, only one in the middle vs 2 on each side for S.
Im not aware of 2nd stage cooling... AC system will increase fan speed as needed depending on the condenser temp, in very hot weather there's less temp difference so it need more airflow, simple physics.

To OP and everyone with AC reduced err. When it happens, pull the plastic under frunk to access battery/fuses/etc and on the left side you'll see thick n thin AC lines, touch n feel em. Thick one should be cold, thin - hot. If they about equal temp then u either have low freon or bad compressor or something else (less common).
There's NO way to tell how much freon u have unless u completely suck it out with a machine that has scale.
Best way to troublshoot AC issues is to hook up gauges to High/Low sides n see what pressures are doing...

2016 Model X P90D
Supercharging yesterday in 100F+ Fresno temp...5 mins in the "Air Conditioning Reduced" message/alert popped up. Air warmed. Charged for 15 mins and back to work...A/C did not cool on short drive back to office. Sitting at desk, noticed interior temp 120F+...turned cabin overheat on/off from app...didn't matter/help. After work and driving home, A/C still only blowing hot air. Roadside assistance had me reboot and turn car completely off...didn't help...said to take it to Service Center (SC). This morning got in it to go to SC, tried A/C and heard squealing/screeching...only blowing hot air. SC diagnosed this afternoon as bad compressor with metal shavings now in the system. Wondering if the supercharging and switch to "Air conditioning reduced" caused the A/C compressor to blow up, or was the compressor/system going bad to trigger the "Air conditioning reduced" alert? Thanks for the help!
Most likely AC compressor lost ability to compress freon first n u got the Reduced err, then from continuous running it destroyed itself n sent shavings everywhere.
Best advice when u get Reduced err is to hook up gauges to High/Low lines n see pressures, don't just blindly run AC to avoid above.
AC compressor has a failsafe for Very Low (freon leak) n Very High (cooling fan not working) pressures but doesn't have a clue if it's just can't pump the gas due to its own internal wear/failure...

Just wanna correct this, X has second Evaporator for the rear. Condenser is whats outside the car with a fan behind it. X has one, S has 2.
FYI, i haven't ever came across a car with 2 compressors...

X does have louvers, only one in the middle vs 2 on each side for S.
Im not aware of 2nd stage cooling... AC system will increase fan speed as needed depending on the condenser temp, in very hot weather there's less temp difference so it need more airflow, simple physics.

To OP and everyone with AC reduced err. When it happens, pull the plastic under frunk to access battery/fuses/etc and on the left side you'll see thick n thin AC lines, touch n feel em. Thick one should be cold, thin - hot. If they about equal temp then u either have low freon or bad compressor or something else (less common).
There's NO way to tell how much freon u have unless u completely suck it out with a machine that has scale.
Best way to troublshoot AC issues is to hook up gauges to High/Low sides n see what pressures are doing...
Thanks!

Reactions: brainhouston
Most likely AC compressor lost ability to compress freon first n u got the Reduced err, then from continuous running it destroyed itself n sent shavings everywhere.
Best advice when u get Reduced err is to hook up gauges to High/Low lines n see pressures, don't just blindly run AC to avoid above.
AC compressor has a failsafe for Very Low (freon leak) n Very High (cooling fan not working) pressures but doesn't have a clue if it's just can't pump the gas due to its own internal wear/failure...
Thank you!

Reactions: brainhouston
While this advice would be good generally speaking, AFAIK, in hot tempeatures like @Ross J 's, the X will run the compressor regardless because you're supercharging (or maybe even just driving) once the battery reaches a certain temperature. Are you aware of any way to prevent that, or is the best one concerned enough can do to stop supercharging and/or pull over for a (presumably lengthy) period of time?

While this advice would be good generally speaking, AFAIK, in hot tempeatures like @Ross J 's, the X will run the compressor regardless because you're supercharging (or maybe even just driving) once the battery reaches a certain temperature. Are you aware of any way to prevent that, or is the best one concerned enough can do to stop supercharging and/or pull over for a (presumably lengthy) period of time?
True, i didn't think of that. I think only other option is to pull the plug from low pressure sensor (making it think its out of freon) but im not sure which one is it or if u can get to it w/o removing frunk...
So i guess pulling over n waiting for battery to cool is only option.