Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Air Conditioning Reduced" message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a new Tesla Model S owner. It's a 2015 70d. This weekend I tried to keep climate control on while charging the car, and I got a message on the dash screen that said "Air Conditioning Reduced DC Fast Charging/Supercharging may be reduced". I ultimately unplugged the car, got out of the car, got it to completely turn off, then the message went away and the climate control began working properly.

Today my wife is driving the car and now the same message came up on the dash, but it's now accompanied by a message on the touchscreen that says the same thing. She is not charging the car obviously if she is driving it.

Has anyone had this issue? Is this indicative of something larger wrong with the AC, or just a glitch in the system?

Thanks

During supercharging I have seen that before if the battery pack temperature is high the resources will be diverted to cool the battery pack as opposed to cooling the cabin. same thing will happen while driving in extremely high ambient temperatures or really high torque loads and the battery temperature rises, again resources will be diverted to take care of the battery and drivetrain electronics.

Attachments

• IMG_2097.jpeg
    IMG_2097.jpeg
    403.3 KB · Views: 1,390
  • IMG_2096.jpeg
    IMG_2096.jpeg
    460.7 KB · Views: 987
Reboot the MCU using the two scroll buttons and see if the message reappears. It may just be a glitch. I don’t know where you are located but I don’t think the outside temperatures are high enough at the moment to stress the cooling system, and you did not indicate that the car was being driven extremely hard by your wife.

Reboot the MCU using the two scroll buttons and see if the message reappears. It may just be a glitch. I don’t know where you are located but I don’t think the outside temperatures are high enough at the moment to stress the cooling system, and you did not indicate that the car was being driven extremely hard by your wife.

Right, it wasn't hot. It's warm here, but not hot. And we hadn't been driving it crazy. The screen refresh didn't work. Ultimately I just restored the factory defaults, which of course deleted my profile and everything. Now it won't connect to LTE... but I am going to let it sit overnight connected to wifi and see if it gets its act together overnight. I love the car, but glitches like this are annoying. The trigger seemed to have something to do with stopping the car with the AC turned on. I have a mobile service guy coming Friday to fix some sort of airbag recall, so I will get him to look at it if there are issues. Appreciate the responses.

Reactions: tccartier
Right, it wasn't hot. It's warm here, but not hot. And we hadn't been driving it crazy. The screen refresh didn't work. Ultimately I just restored the factory defaults, which of course deleted my profile and everything. Now it won't connect to LTE... but I am going to let it sit overnight connected to wifi and see if it gets its act together overnight. I love the car, but glitches like this are annoying. The trigger seemed to have something to do with stopping the car with the AC turned on. I have a mobile service guy coming Friday to fix some sort of airbag recall, so I will get him to look at it if there are issues. Appreciate the responses.

Welcome to the wacky world of Tesla glitches, Hang-Ups, ghosts, reboots, You name It! we get It. But through it all I would still buy my car again. it has been the most intuitive entertaining and engaging driving experience that I've ever had in my life and I've had many vehicles I'm 60 years old. Have had probably 30 or more cars in my lifetime.

A few possibilities:

1) Check the louvers in the front bumper when this happens. They should be open when Supercharging on a hot day, but have been known to stick closed.
2) It could be the A/C is not working correctly. Low on coolant or some other mechanical problem.
3) I did have one time in the middle of a trip through L.A. and to Arizona when the A/C did not cool the cabin, for whatever reason. It worked again after charging at the next Supercharger (and slightly cooler temps). We haven't had that happen again.

I had this issue, it was fixed by tesla via a service center visit. They replaced 2 pages worth of parts to fix mine and it took a week.... Make a service appointment you have an issue....

Last edited:
For those interested, the mobile service showed up today and fixed the airbag recall issue. I have another appointment Monday at the local SC in Plano for the AC fix and to look at one other issue. Fortunately, the two different communication strings I had via text about these appointments had been shared with the tech that came to my house today and they had him run a thermal test of some sort. HE documented the other issue as well. Sometimes it feels as if one hand doesn't know what the other is doing at Tesla, but at least for now I give them two thumbs up as they had communicated with one another and, even though the tech today couldn't fix the AC issue, he was aware of it and was prepping the other visit for me. BTW, the AC is working fine right now but I fear the issue will return, and AC is pretty critical in Texas summers. Now, I am hoping they give me a Tesla loaner. I have another ICE vehicle I can drive, but it would be cool to have a Tesla, especially if I get lucky and they have the P100D available. We shall see. Thanks to all who responded. I love the car so much, glitches and all. I would still buy another one.

Reactions: tccartier
BTW, the AC is working fine right now but I fear the issue will return, and AC is pretty critical in Texas summers.
Yep it will return on a hot day or at a supercharger! You definitely want to get it fixed as the ac is required to keep the battery cool at all times. They will likely have to do a fair amount of trouble shooting to solve it but once it’s done you should be good for even the hottest day!

I was on trip to DC this week. First 2 stops AC was fine. Third stop AC wouldn't stay on while super charging. I called help desk in Draper. Lady loaded patch, reboot front screen. She loaded another patch. Power car off. Wait 3 minutes. Powered on
AC worked at next stop.
Seems sw is getting a lot of bugs lately.

Definitely take it in for service. Now that warm weather is here, it will happen more often.
You don't want to be on a road trip and have the A/C not working. First time it happened to me was last August just as I arrived in Los Angeles. It did it again on my way back in 109º weather. Everybody in the car was sweating.

IMG_20180701_150133658.jpg

Last edited:
Makes you wonder how we all drove around the country during the summer with cars without AC. Remember one trip my dad took us across country, northern route, going to Calif and southern route coming back with vinyl seats with beach towels on them. You had to have shorts on because it was too hot to not but then risked getting your legs burnt when you had to enter the car. One of the reasons I still love our MS pano roof. Hope all of your AC issues get fixed.