Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Air Conditioning Reduced" message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your louvers are defective. This happened to me a year ago and I needed a louver retrofit for my 2013 Model S. The louvers are located at the bottom front of your vehicle. They open when the vehicle needs additional cooling, especially while supercharging. If the louvers don't open, you will see the alert about reduced cabin cooling.

Your louvers are defective.
Thats incorrect this alert isn't JUST for broken louvers....o_O

On my car they replaced most of the internal ac system before finding a burnt / damaged wiring harness which was the true cause.... Not one line item on my invoice is for defective louvers... sure its one of many things that can cause the issue, but ultimately you need to go to the service center asap to have them diagnose the issue.

Reactions: SigRed12
I had this error which turned out to be a high pressure hose leaking from its crimped-on end connector, where it connected on the outboard side of the condenser ("radiator") on the drivers side. The clue was oily spots on the bottom of the car ahead of the front wheel well on that side. So the A/C couldn't hold pressure... blowing no cold.

Fix was replace that hose, add AC oil, and pressure charge.

Thats incorrect this alert isn't JUST for broken louvers....o_O

On my car they replaced most of the internal ac system before finding a burnt / damaged wiring harness which was the true cause.... Not one line item on my invoice is for defective louvers... sure its one of many things that can cause the issue, but ultimately you need to go to the service center asap to have them diagnose the issue.
Of course it could be something else, that goes without saying. In my case it was defective louvers.

Yep it will return on a hot day or at a supercharger! You definitely want to get it fixed as the ac is required to keep the battery cool at all times. They will likely have to do a fair amount of trouble shooting to solve it but once it’s done you should be good for even the hottest day!
Hi Tech_Guy, I have the exact same issues as you. Do you mind telling me which service center you went? I am in Southern CAlifornia. I am really worried they are gona tell me this is NORMAL. I love Tesla but it’s really scary when you can’t depend on a brand new car to have AC when driving in 100 degrees.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tech_Guy
Hi Tech_Guy, I have the exact same issues as you. Do you mind telling me which service center you went? I am in Southern CAlifornia. I am really worried they are gona tell me this is NORMAL. I love Tesla but it’s really scary when you can’t depend on a brand new car to have AC when driving in 100 degrees.
You should be fine at your local service center, just be sure to reference the dashboard warning and explain what happened before / when you got the message.

You should be fine at your local service center, just be sure to reference the dashboard warning and explain what happened before / when you got the message.
Tech_Guy
I just went to Costa Mesa service center and they checked and said nothing is wrong!! We were driving up to Mammoth from LA and the AC reduction sign came on while we were driving with 100 miles left on the car. After we supercharged it at the next stop the AC still would not come back on. We had to drive in 100 degrees for another 3 hours. We arrived at Mammoth and stayed there 4 days driving around (cool temperature) and still NO A/C function. We then had to again drive 6 hours back with no AC (4 hours in 90 degrees). The AC was restored the next day after we parked at home garage (Reduction in AC sign off). The next day I went to charge at Supercharger, the sign came on again! After supercharging, sign went off. Please tell me this is NOT normal. I don't want to sit in 100 degrees for another minute again.. so please do share with me which service center you went to?? Please help!!! Thanks.

Tech_Guy
I just went to Costa Mesa service center and they checked and said nothing is wrong!! We were driving up to Mammoth from LA and the AC reduction sign came on while we were driving with 100 miles left on the car. After we supercharged it at the next stop the AC still would not come back on. We had to drive in 100 degrees for another 3 hours. We arrived at Mammoth and stayed there 4 days driving around (cool temperature) and still NO A/C function. We then had to again drive 6 hours back with no AC (4 hours in 90 degrees). The AC was restored the next day after we parked at home garage (Reduction in AC sign off). The next day I went to charge at Supercharger, the sign came on again! After supercharging, sign went off. Please tell me this is NOT normal. I don't want to sit in 100 degrees for another minute again.. so please do share with me which service center you went to?? Please help!!! Thanks.

That is not normal. Run the A/C med to high to make it happen again and then call them.
They didn't fix mine until it happened a 3rd time.

Tech_Guy
I just went to Costa Mesa service center and they checked and said nothing is wrong!

"We were driving up to Mammoth from LA and the AC reduction sign came on while we were driving with 100 miles left on the car. After we supercharged it at the next stop the AC still would not come back on. We had to drive in 100 degrees for another 3 hours. We arrived at Mammoth and stayed there 4 days driving around (cool temperature) and still NO A/C function. We then had to again drive 6 hours back with no AC (4 hours in 90 degrees). The AC was restored the next day after we parked at home garage (Reduction in AC sign off). The next day I went to charge at Supercharger, the sign came on again! After supercharging, sign went off."
Centinella Service center fixed mine but again I don't think the service center matters, Maybe speak to the manager at your service center and explain issue and the potential causes you have noticed.... or in this case multiple causes for example

Driving at high altitude or in high temperature or long distances the air conditioner will not function.

PERSONALLY Id tell them you prefer to not drive a sauna for 9 hours....o_O

Also when Supercharging, air conditioner will not function.
etc...

The supercharging one should be easiest for them to test, maybe bring your car in at a lower charge and suggest they supercharge it and try to use the air conditioner...

Normally it should not be hard to diagnose host of these components can be checked with a service laptop. However if they arn't finding anything obvious, then you might end up with 3 pages of main ac components that were replaced like me.

Obviously the solution for mine wasn't any of those main AC components at all but rather a damaged wiring harness. I'm sure changing that wiring harness was a royal pain.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I also have a 2015 70D and just received this same message. Yesterday, AC wouldn’t get cold. This morning the AC reduced/ DC charging reduced message has appeared. I put in a service request and emailed my local service center I’ll report back once resolved.

@swatkins did you get yours officially resolved?
Sorry I just saw these last posts because... it's happening again. And it's 97 degrees here today. When I took it in for service the first time they kept it for close to a week and they couldn't figure it out. Then they said the oil in the compressor was low, so they filled it up and gave me the car back. This was in late May. I went issue free until July 4th... since then it's happened three different times. Once I was able to power it off, then restart, and it fixed itself.

When I took it in last time they said if it happened again, they would just replace the compressor. I have a service appointment Monday.

Did you take yours in and if so, what was the resolution they gave you?

Did you take yours in and if so, what was the resolution they gave you?

At service they confirmed refrigerant was low indicating a leak. They fixed the leak and replaced the refrigerant pressure sensor/ intake air temperature sensor. Here are the notes from my invoice:

“Pressure sensor at discharge hose was leaking, necessary to replace. Evacuated system, performed leak test, added oil and freon and checked for other leaks. No other leaks found at this time and A/C is cooling at 42 F.”

Has been working fine for the last week.

At service they confirmed refrigerant was low indicating a leak. They fixed the leak and replaced the refrigerant pressure sensor/ intake air temperature sensor. Here are the notes from my invoice:

“Pressure sensor at discharge hose was leaking, necessary to replace. Evacuated system, performed leak test, added oil and freon and checked for other leaks. No other leaks found at this time and A/C is cooling at 42 F.”

Has been working fine for the last week.
THank you

Tech_Guy
I am taking my car in Monday. Today the message came up for the fourth time in eight days. No AC, Dallas TX 95 degrees, black leather, ZERO fun. Anyway, I am sure they are going to replace the compressor this time, but frankly, I don't believe them, because I'm not sure when I brought it in last time they were truly convinced that was the real problem. The reason I say this is because today when I got it home, the fan stayed on for four hours. Not charging, sitting in the garage, doing nothing. I do a factory reset and the message goes away and the fan turns off.... So if the car was hot and diverting compressor energy towards the battery why does the fan stay on for four hours, and more importantly, if it was really hot, why does the fan turn off after a factory reset. So frustrating. I honestly had a thought to sell the damn thing and buy a new model 3 today. That's what blazing heat will do to your brain.

EDIT: Fan is back on. I moved it into the driveway. I fear it's unsafe. I'm calling them tomorrow to have them come get the car. I am not driving it again in this condition. I set the appointment up on 7/4, and the quickest they could get me in is 7/15. Utterly ridiculous. The Lexus and Mercedes dealers here in Dallas are so far beyond these service jokers at Tesla it's not even funny.

Last edited:
We had this, both the from and rear A/C were blowing hot air

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1563381356774.jpg
    FB_IMG_1563381356774.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 262
74,000 Miles. MS 90 D 2016
same warning out of Colorado Springs. "car needs Service" Tesla tech helped rebooting both screens. didn't help.
Supercharged when cold. Air conditioning did not go on.
Got hot, coming into Denver Warnings (5 of them) got dire, "car may not start after stopping."
True! Black screens Tesla towed to service center in Denver (on July 4th, of course)
Begged for help. They Responded. Tesla changed out compressor. All faults were cleared. Had extended warranty, cost $200.
Continued road trip from California to Rhode Island- Florida, Texas, and back home. hot weather all the way. Air working great. No Thump as others have mentioned. 8286 miles 26 days.

74,000 Miles. MS 90 D 2016
same warning out of Colorado Springs. "car needs Service" Tesla tech helped rebooting both screens. didn't help.
Supercharged when cold. Air conditioning did not go on.
Got hot, coming into Denver Warnings (5 of them) got dire, "car may not start after stopping."
True! Black screens Tesla towed to service center in Denver (on July 4th, of course)
Begged for help. They Responded. Tesla changed out compressor. All faults were cleared. Had extended warranty, cost $200.
Continued road trip from California to Rhode Island- Florida, Texas, and back home. hot weather all the way. Air working great. No Thump as others have mentioned. 8286 miles 26 days.
Any idea how slow supercharging will be without A/C? I’m on a road trip and my compressor “grenaded itself” (the tech’s words!) on the way out. They weren’t able to get parts in before I have to head back, so I’m going to go at night, but I’m worried it’s going to take hours to charge if the battery can’t be conditioned.

Any idea how slow supercharging will be without A/C? I’m on a road trip and my compressor “grenaded itself” (the tech’s words!) on the way out. They weren’t able to get parts in before I have to head back, so I’m going to go at night, but I’m worried it’s going to take hours to charge if the battery can’t be conditioned.
Well shiiiit. Answer: it won’t, at all. It starts charging, the A/C compressor groans trying to kick in, and then it stops charging. I am now at the only destination charger within 50 miles, in the only room they had left available. Talk about an adventure :(.

I just had this issue happen a week or so ago in my 2015 Model S. I left the climate control running at 81F on a blacktop parking lot, in the sun, in Phoenix, on a 115F day. When I came back to the car 15 minutes later I had this same warning. Within a couple minutes of driving the A/C was blowing hot - outdoor air or hotter. I was able to drive home (7 miles on 45 mph roads) and got no further warning messages.

When I got home I plugged it in and a fan (I think the battery cooling fan) continued running for over 48 hours continuously. It was quite loud. I turned the cabin overheat off as it was well over 105F inside. MCU and all other functions continued to work fine. I tried two-button reset multiple times but that did not help. A/C blew hot this whole time whenever I tried it. Weirdly I could not hear the A/C compressor running and the louvers remained closed. We got lucky that we had a monsoon storm so I opened the garage and blew fans in to try to get the car to cool down

Anyway after 2.5 days or so, the cooling fan turned off. Presumably this warning cleared when the battery temperature finally reached under some critical threshold. When I then tried again, the compressor turned on immediately and the A/C blew cold, no warning displayed. So far it seems to still be working. So at least in my case perhaps it was a software issue that was initially triggered by putting the battery in bad thermal conditions.

I have a service appointment in 2 weeks anyway and will see if service finds anything or can provide any further insights. But otherwise it appears to have resolved on its own once the battery cooled to a safe temperature.