Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Conditioning Reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have searched for this on the forum, and while a couple of threads exist, there doesn't seem to be any resolution, hoping someone has solved the following problem

2018 Model x 76D (5 seater). I am receiving, with increased frequency, the error message "Air conditioning reduced. DC Fast Charging / Supercharging rate may be reduced" and an error code THC_w0016 (see screenshots). Usually it comes on after the car has been driven for 30 mins or so, parked for a period, and then journey resumed. The air conditioning starts to blow warm air and the error message appears. I live in South Florida so its a total nightmare where the inside of the car becomes an oven.

We took the car to Tesla twice now, have sent them photos of the error messages, logged a "bug report" via the steering wheel - yet they say they can't find any faults with the car. During the last visit the re-gassed the AC, checked for leaks, and did some kind of thermal diagnostic tests.

My wife has told me to trade the car in and go back to an ICE car - I am desperate to not have to do that so looking to see if anyone has had this problem. and successfully resolved it?

Tesla Error 1.jpg
Tesla Error 2.jpg

i replied with useful info in other threads how to start testing but i also noticed on mine while i was charging ac that sometimes compressor runs but not pumping anything, pressures stay the same then it'll eventually kick in again (not due to evaporator freeze sensor). To speed this up i noticed that if i just turn off/on the ac it would start working.
It's possible there's some other failsafe in the compressor itself or could just be a sign of it going out...
i'll add more details n findings once i start dailying the car

I have received these error as well on very hot days 98 degrees plus and supercharging with cabin air on. I have learned how to not repeat the errors. If over 98 and supercharge - do not have the cabin AC on. Walk to the nearest facility with AC and wait for your session to end. I have never had it happen without a supercharge session. So, your cause might be different.

Now to clear the errors is tricky. The vehicle must go through a power-off sleep cycle. The steps must be completed very specifically: 1) Turn off Cabin Overheat protection. 2) Turn off Sentry Mode. 3) Perform Power Off under service. I leave the driver door open while I turn it off then exit. It is critical that the car sleeps. So, do not approach with key remotes as it will wake it up. Let it sleep for 10 minutes. When you return, the errors should clear and the AC will work again. I have had it happen on 107 degree day this past summer in Texas. I used this procedure and it worked.

I have tried numerous methods including switching AC off for 10 mins while driving, reboot with scroll wheels and brake pedal and switching car off from the MCU. Will try your specific sequence Rush6410 next time.. although I don’t have cabin overheat protection or sentry protection enabled.

At first I thought it was SC related, but the last few times it happened I wasn’t at a charger. Parked to go into some stores, came back about 30 mins later. AC works initially then gradually starts blowing warm air.

The error mentioning that supercharging rate may be reduced makes me think something is going wrong with the battery cooling system and the car is going into protection mode.

Just wanted to add to this thread if anyone else with a Model X has this issue.
I got the alert last week : Air conditioning reduced. DC
Fast Charging / Supercharging rate may be reduced.

1700051980887.png

Going into service mode and checking the alerts there I got this:

1700052041048.png

Made a service request and dropped of my car this past Monday Nov 13 and got the car back yesterday Nov 14 and these were their findings (fix was covered by the extended service agreement I bought after the initial warranty expired):

1700052133073.png

Hope this helps anyone running into a similar issue in the future.