Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Conditioning Stopped Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should I be able to open them by pushing them with my hand?

No! Don't force them, but everytime a software update installs they open and close; you can check for this, alternatively most times when plugging in at home, when waking the car up especially, they will also open and close, but I can't say always because there are times I know when they don't, and I am not entirely sure the conditions when they don't

This happened to me and I actually called Tesla customer service. While it was a bit of a wait, the rep was pretty good and guided me through some processes which got my AC working again. Give it a try before your SC appointment.
I have a 2018 X with less then 24k. Got it car today after wirk and ac didn’t work. I’ve rebooted (car off) 3 times and still no ac. It’s very hot today and next few days. App says inside temp is 96!! I have friends in town for wedding and now no ac. I went to schedule a service appt and first available is Friday 10/30.... that’s 29 days, 4 weeks without ac. I’ll have to rent a car. Is this covered by warranty? If so maybe Tesla will pay for rental...haha!!

This just happen on our Tesla Model 3. After the car sat for the afternoon when my wife was at work, she got into the car and the system was just blowing hot air. She tried driving but it was just to hot inside. I didn’t have the chance to read this thread at the time. I had her do the steering wheel two button reset which did not work. She left the car for about 15 minutes as it was too hot to stay in it. Turning off the AC. Hitting the defrost button and back to AC. The app said failed when I tried to turn on the AC. Somehow after about 30 minutes of screwing around with everything it started working again???

So, today (96 degrees fahrenheit), my air conditioning stopped working. I used the Tesla App to turn on my air conditioning as I was walking out of work. When I was approaching the car I could hear the AC compressor running. When I got in the car and started to drive I noticed that the air conditioning was blowing hot air, and the air compressor was not turning on. I can usually hear and feel the AC compressor when I drive, but not happening now. Did two scroll wheel resets with no luck. Scheduled a service appt. for July 11th, but would love to figure this out if it's something I can fix.
I tried all the methods about shutting off and waiting 3 minutes and rebooting...none worked, so what I did was I turned the fan off and turned it back on then I turned off (unselect) the AC then turned it back on (selected) and it worked. I think the system is confused that it is off. Even though it shows the AC button to be blue it still reads it as off. So by turn it off and back on it will fit it. Good luck

Today I was gonna take my wife and mother in law to get a nice lunch. But as all of you have discovered that Tesla has one of those fancy new slot machine A/C systems. You know the one that works 1time every 30,0000 you turn it on. Might help if they finish the automobiles before they sell them and hire more mechanics electricians or whatever else you need. My car has 631 miles on it and 21 of those were spent sweating my white leather azz off. Turn it off wait lose 3lbs and try again. Gonna do a factory reset if that doesn’t work then I’ll give it back.
Dying to know if you brought it back and what happened after

Try the method I just explained in my previous post. It should work. YOu need to power down from the security screen while following the above instructions
SO i know its been some time since this was originally posted but this post saved me a buttload of money (from having to pay Tesla). This 100% worked for me. Thankyou everyone for your advice over the experiences you have had!!!!!!!

Same thing happened to me. I used my mobile app to cool off the car. When I got in the car, the AC was running and it was cool. As soon as I started driving, the AC went off and started blowing hot air. Running firmware 2019.20.4.3

We reached 112 in Phoenix today. After rebooting the car several times, found someone at the Tempe service center 5 minutes before they closed. He tried a few things to no avail and said I need to take it to the service center. We even did power off from security screen and rebooted the car with no luck. The earliest appointment for service is on 7/23 (12 days from today.) At this point the car is not drivable due to excess heat.

I read that A/C mechanism also cools down the batteries when they get overheated. Would this cause any harm to the batteries? Right now, the air is blowing through the batteries and it's not shutting off.
Same thing happened to me today. 111 in Phoenix. Hot air. Did 2 resets. Then this morning it wouldn't start. Had to have it towed to dealer. Ugh.