Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air conditioning unit stays on after exiting vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most likely a bug in 16.2. Anyone else noticing it?

I made sure that the option to keep the climate on is set to OFF. I’ve noticed on several occasions, the AC does not turn off even if you exit the vehicle and lock it. This is especially true if I’d set it on via the app before entering the car.

Just be careful and make sure that you’ve manually turned it off either before exiting or via the app right after exiting. Don’t drain your battery by mistake.

I definitely experienced this last night. Here's the thing - the A/C didn't stay on. It turned on all by itself!

I got home and exited that car. I wasn't using the A/C.
After twenty minutes, I went back into the garage, and I could hear the compressor running! I opened the door and manually turned it off. I don't believe it turned on again for the rest of the night.

I definitely experienced this last night. Here's the thing - the A/C didn't stay on. It turned on all by itself!

I got home and exited that car. I wasn't using the A/C.
After twenty minutes, I went back into the garage, and I could hear the compressor running! I opened the door and manually turned it off. I don't believe it turned on again for the rest of the night.

We have experienced this recently as well too. I can only surmise it is battery cooling as it has been hot here in FL.

My AC does not stay on, but after 16.2, the auto AC setting no longer works properly (the fan is too slow and the air comes out at feet), and the "leave AC on" option is grayed out for me on park even though my battery is above 20% charge. This persists even after a reboot.

This has been happening for me even on my last 2 firmwares (12.1 & 12.2). It doesn’t seem to be battery cooling at all because it has happened even at very mild temps in the 50s. Also it’s a completely different sound and a different location from the battery cooling fans.

It sounds exactly like the AC running. You can even place your hand in the area where to AC intake is and feel the airflow. It is also random, I have parked the car in the garage not heard the fan and then came back over an hour later to here it running. I’ve also heard it running and continuing to run immediately after I exit the car and close the door. I’ve never timed how long it runs, but it seems to be awhile.

I have a feeling this is working as intended. To me it’s just drying out the AC system after use in order to prevent the musty smell you sometimes get in other cars due to moisture build up in the system.

Although I don’t know how long it runs or what triggers it I know it’s not getting “stuck” on and running continually because it always stops on it’s own for me. Also if you quickly open the door and place your hand in front of the interior vents it’s not actually blowing air into the cabin. You could also test this by leaving the window down and feel that nothing is blowing into the cabin I guess.

• Informative
Reactions: Drewbaloop
I noticed something similar a day or two ago, but at the time I had manually turned on AC while in BT range before getting in to drive somewhere and then after being out of the car for 30ish minutes I walked by it and noticed the fan was going. Opened the app and saw that the climate was on so I turned it off and the fan stopped.

I'm not sure if it was from walking back up to the car, or if it got into some weird state that it thought I wanted the AC on from when I first got in.