Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Conditioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 9-17 build MS75 and just about every time I'm behind someone in an ICE car I smell exhaust or whatever is coming from it? Yes I have the recirculation button on with the AC on. I do not have the Bio weapon defense but really...I have had many cars and never had this before to the extreme 90% of the time. Last night was stopped at a light with AC on and could clearly see the people in front of me smoking weed. Low and behold as soon as I followed there was the smell? OK I think I remember what it smells like:D I have tried turning the recirc. button on and off and no difference?? Anyone have something similar? BTW I know that once in a while you will always get extreme conditions such as smoke from a fire or rich burning ICE vehicle but I'm saying its almost always there? Its bad when the wife notices because her nose is not as sensitive as mine!!

I have a 12-17 MS75 and didn't buy the Bio defense package either. I did purchase the filter from the SC, our Parts guy is pretty nice and it cost about 120 bucks. Some SC's won't sell them not sure why but you can ask. After taking apart the old housing I seen that if pulling air from the out side there isn't any filter at all, might as well have the windows down. The Recirc filter is the only thing you have and once the air is in the car your stuck with it. If you are able to get the Filter from the SC it has a filter and Carbon pad on it, it's worth the 120 bucks. I programed my right scroll wheel for the fan speed and when I smell something I turn it up to 9 then mess with the screen to get the fan to pull air from outside through the big filter. I'm still working with my SC to see if they can sneak in the activation of the Bio Defense button.

• Helpful
Reactions: bnsfengineer
I have the Bio-weapon mode and frequently use it, but most of the time my system is in recirc mode. Yesterday, while in recirc mode, there was a dead skunk on the road and about 5 seconds after passing it I distinctly smelled skunk in the car. My guess is that air is coming in through small door gaps. I notice a fair bit of "wind" noise while driving.

Yes I always have my recirc button on and always get any odor coming into the car, a skunk would probably have the strength of all the windows rolled down! One thing I have not tried is to shut the fan off and see if that helps.