Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Conditioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you feel about the A/C in model S? Is it strong enough?

I test drove recently but seems not very powerful. The temperature was only 23 degree C that day.

Any comment from the owners who received the car in July/August?

Although I agree there are loads on this already, here is the short answer:

If it is only 23 degrees already, the air con won't need to work that hard. Simple cars have a crude ON/OFF air con, while the Model S is much more balanced and smart. If it is 23 C, you don't need a "strong" air con, if any at all. This might lead you to think with the air con on - it is quite weak - but it might just be a bit smarter than that. At these times (when it isn't raining), I even turn the air con off entirely, and open the pano roof 100%. Yes, even at highway speeds, and also with back seat passengers. It's not a cabrio (convertible), but close. If you really want open air - open all four windows as well. With the pano roof open, I can hear a dog barking, the beeps from the traffic light and aircraft flying (low enough) overhead.

If you really want to test the air con on a day like that, set the desired temperature to 16. Make sure the range is more than 50 km, or it will reduce automatically. Also, remember that another force of the air con is that you can turn it on from your phone - whether the car is plugged in or not. By the time you get to the car, it is nice and coooool. ICE cars can only to that if they start the engine to run the compressor. That is last century technology, Tesla Model S is this years technology.

Next question, please.