Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Conditioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my P85 just a few days ago. Enjoying it tremendously. However, the only complaint we have is the air conditioning. I prefer to just set the temp and then everything on Auto. This is what I do with every car I have owned and have never had an issue.

However, in my P85, if I put it on Full Auto and set temp to say 20°C, it feels horribly stuffy with very little airflow.

Also, using the iOS app, I see that the AC never really achieves the target temperature.

Do you guys have this problem? Or do I have a problem with my AC?

Lastly, I noticed that, even when the temp is about 15°C outside last night in the garage, the car remains at 20-22° with AC off. Is the car that well insulated?

IMG_2595.PNG

With my limited knowledge about car AC climate control I guess it's like a typical control system by design. Japanese cars are must more aggressive/faster in response, i.e. it peaks (fan/compressor rev to max) when there is a substantial difference between measured interior temp and desired/set temp, i.e. it responds quickly and will bring you to comfort faster. However the downside is energy consumption and overshooting (too cool, lower than set temperature) and it takes a while to ram back and go steady. These fluctuation in temperature and faster response are at the expense of your battery.

My experience so far is that if you want faster response, drive the set temp down and after few minutes manually adjust it back to say 22/22.5 .... let's see when summer comes!

I totally agree ... the A/C suck!
The vents are also quite bad, no matter where you point the vents, it always just blows towards your face.
The rear feels hot.
When adjusted to fan speed 5+ it becomes too noisy.....

Anyone who got their car this summer? I think it's all in the software since almost everything is user configurable perhaps Tesla should listen up and issue firmware upgrade to allow us to set AC response time. Trip computer could prompt us that "range is reduced by xxx km", it's up to us really!