Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air eedirected to battery indicator?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having some weird climate issues since 2020.40 - after the upgrade to bkth 2020.40.3 and 2020.40.4 car wasn't able to turn on AC until deep reboot. Then yesterday half of the trip front air was barely blowing from front grills even at 11 fan speed, i assumed that air was redirected to battery for cooling but i haven't seen any indication of that - should there be one?

Also anyone seen AC issues on 2020.40 ?

P.S. sorry for typo in the topic name, obviously "redirected"

Last edited:
what you are experiencing is likely evaporator freeze protection in action. It feels exactly like this: even at 11 the airflow is almost nonexistent. Why they don't make it a user-facing alert is beyond me. (when there is battery redirection there is a clear user-visible alert)

Typically it's because you either lost some coolant pressure or you have a faulty evaporator temperature sensor (relatively common nowadays I heard).

Talkto your service center.

Here's the workaround for the latter: turn off A/C but keep fan at 11 for a bit of time, then turn on A/C back and the condition clears.

Reactions: pereiks
Thanks, it is interesting, by searching on the evaporator freeze topic it seems that it might be an actual ice built-up (A/C Acting Up).

The thing that puzzled me is that when I raise the fan speed I hear the blower motor at high, but no air was coming out, I was even worried that vents got disconnected somewhere. Ice build-up can explain it.

I'll chat with SC as well as I was planning to do front half-shafts replacement as well.