TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Air filters

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Nikola M3, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Nikola M3

Nikola M3 Member

I did some searching and couldn't find a lot of discussion so I'll ask.

Amazon lists several brands of aftermarket cabin filters. Has anyone tried these, are they as good as OEM?

I also saw a filter for the air intake in the frunk, Tesla does not put a filter there, is this a good idea? Pro's & cons?

Amazon.com : tesla model 3 air filter

2. TX_M3P+

TX_M3P+ Member

I watched a YouTube video not too long ago on how to replace the cabin filters. They guy also added the filter to the frunk air intake and it dramatically reduced the air flow from the vents, so he decided not to keep that one. There is a guard plate that you can add that keep large things, like leaves and twigs, from falling into the air intake in the frunk, which does not hamper cabin air flow. Me personally, I would not want reduced air flow in the cabin so I would not add the frunk filter. For the inside cabin filters I have seen some high end 3M filters on some of the aftermarket websites that I would go with, but they are pricey, like $90 pricey. I wouldn't trust the cheap ones.

• Like x 1
  3. mrau

mrau Authorized Driver

You can order the Tesla brand from their website also. Same price as at service Center, $17 each....takes two.

Model 3 Air Filter

• Like x 5
  4. Nikola M3

Nikola M3 Member

Good point, done.

5. Kiprich

Kiprich Member

The problem I have is that the standard filter isn't Hepa. The normal filters for M3 can be ordered on multiple websites for a reasonable price. The ones that 'claim' (very little proof, almost no reviews or tests) to be Hepa can't be delivered to the Netherlands, or are extremely priced.

6. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

Yea adding an additional filter is retarded. I installed the plastic guard at the intake to stop debris. Seems weird the HVAC intake is designed wide open without some type of screen, mesh, etc....

• Like x 1
  7. TX_M3P+

TX_M3P+ Member

Indeed, it does seem to be an odd setup for an air intake. I haven't bought the cover yet because I park in my garage all the time, so I'm not really worries about stuff getting in there, but I may just get it for peace of mind.

• Like x 1
  8. JayNJ

JayNJ Member

The Amazon ones works fine that have just the charcoal filter. I wouldn't pay for HEPA. First they probably aren't really HEPA. Second, if they are, it will drastically reduce airflow and possibly be bad for your fans. There is a reason why a HEPA system has a much larger surface area for the filters.

• Like x 2
  9. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

Stock Tesla filters are effective and inexpensive.
    They have a short video on how to replace them. (EZ)
    Tesla has extensive experience with HEPA (standard now in S/X) and would be using them in the 3/Y if they showed benefits.

Aftermarket seems to be hokum, preying on fears of consumers.

• Love x 1
  10. Kiprich

Kiprich Member

After market Hepa filters dont proove their claims and are expensive.

I would have loved Hepa in the car, like I did in my other cars (kid with hay fever).

11. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

Imagine that many auto companies are looking into true HEPA filters for their customers in heavily polluted urban areas. Could offer some significant health and smell benefits.

12. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

I don't give a f**k about HEPA or not. I drive with the windows down a lot anyhow since I live in south Florida.

13. not4antoher

not4antoher Member

I changed the air filters today, and the old filters seem pretty dirty.
    The filters were from the Tesla web store.
    My vehicle is a year old and 12,000 miles on it. IMG_0745.jpg

• Informative x 2
  14. Mrcarcrazy

Mrcarcrazy Many Leather bound books.

looks like I need to go ahead and order filters. Eek.

15. FurryOne

FurryOne Member

...and you know this how? Some of us buy from more reputable dealers than Amazon.

Another baseless argument. A well designed HEPA filter will have little or no effect on flow.

16. boiler81

boiler81 Member

#16 boiler81, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
    So this was mentioned during the Q & A at the 2020 1st quarter earnings call:

Zachary J. Kirkhorn — Chief Financial Officer

And 3 and Y have like MERV 16 or 15 capable filtration.

Elon Musk — Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer

Yeah. It’s not like Model 3 and Y are — they’re no slouches. Model 3 and Y also — they’re way better than any other cars to the best of my knowledge. They’re not quite as good as possible operating room, but they are extremely good, way better than any other normal car. And we’re continuing to improve the filters on 3 and Y. These actually have a big effect on health even in normal just day-to-day living. It’s reducing particle count and it has an effect on allergies and all sorts of things. So it’s really — air quality is incredibly important, you know in the non-COVID situation, extremely important.

This seems pretty good, and this air filter test video on reddit, showed some impressive results.
    Looks like OEM filters are damn good.

17. FurryOne

FurryOne Member

Did you ever consider that the difference in cost might be the reason Tesla left HEPA filters out fo the Model 3?

I see this in lots of forums - people claiming so & so isn't worth it because blah, blah, blah, when what they're really doing is trying to justify being too cheap to buy a product, and then they'll go out and spend more money on some accessory that has no real benefit. If you buy a HEPA filter from a reputable dealer, like Abstract Ocean, you'll more than likely get a quality product, as opposed to buying an eBay or Amazon "direct from China" hit or miss knockoff.

• Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1