Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air (free or not) at gas stations in US

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

aerodyne

2 of 3 EV's - Defect Free!
Nov 19, 2018
Los Angeles
Moderator note: The following 15 or so posts were moved from this thread:

Ultimate EV Road Trip - Circumnavigating North America

Also please note the author of this post has noted that this was written in jest.

You were ripped off big time by being charged for air! In the US, air and water are free by law at all service stations.

Amazing write up and so happy to hear an older car like mine had no problems on such a long trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
You were ripped off big time by being charged for air! In the US, air and water are free by law at all service stations.

Amazing write up and so happy to hear an older car like mine had no problems on such a long trip.

Fee air at gas stations has gone the way of the dodo bird around here, if they have it at all. Some stations have removed their air pumps entirely. One station told me a few years ago that it costs them too much for damaged (or maybe vandalized) hoses and pumps. Fortunately, one of the local tire dealers nearby has a free air pump.

Fee air at gas stations has gone the way of the dodo bird around here, if they have it at all. Some stations have removed their air pumps entirely. One station told me a few years ago that it costs them too much for damaged (or maybe vandalized) hoses and pumps. Fortunately, one of the local tire dealers nearby has a free air pump.

Correct, free air only in California.

Reactions: Tezzie

And don’t feel bad about the costly air—only CA and CT have free air laws.

Correct, free air only in California.

Just because there is a law doesn't mean it is in effect, ESPECIALLY in Commiefornia. I have been to dozens of gas stations in CA for needing air in various vehicles including my tesla and i'd say 95% of the gas stations i've been to it needed to put in quarters for air usually like a $1 worth. CA doesn't acknowledge their own laws unless it has to do with taking tax dollars, but i digress.

Looks like you had an awesome trip glad you had the free time to be able to do that.

We live in Washington state and air is not free. I had an incident with a low tire on my Tesla and actually had to pay the minimum of $2.50 to bring it up about 4 lbs.

Afraid the comment of you being ripped off big time is not accurate on either measure. Most states do not have laws requiring service stations to provide free air. And the amount you invested for it, well, that’s a private matter I suppose as to whether it wouldn’t be “big time”.

Thanks for sharing your travel experience in the S, Aussie. Well written.

Holly crap folks...I was joking! $1.00 USD is not a big deal! If I have triggered someone, my apologies...

I have not used the crappy hoses/gauges at a gas station since last century, but I recall it was free. Will fact check better next time...

Reactions: David29

Maybe in California that is true, but not in other US states! - I've paid to use an air pump many times at US service stations.

Moderator note: The following 15 or so posts were moved from this thread:

Ultimate EV Road Trip - Circumnavigating North America

Also please note the author of this post has noted that this was written in jest.

I know that he was saying it in jest, as the amount was not much. but it's been fun watching the reactions and replies. Fun times Tesla members! Thank you. You all have a good attitude.

Reactions: David29
If you all want to complain, there is a form for that in CA:

Screenshot_20210103-155202.png

Often in CA. the service station will have a coin op air compressor. Usually if you ask inside, they will give you a token to turn it on for free.

Ca requires it to incentivize car owners to keep their tires properly inflated for proper handling and fuel economy.

Hard for a Tesla owner to justify wanting free gas station air, when they are not going to purchase any
profitable fuel.