TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Air intake filter surfaced

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by jipvk, Nov 17, 2019.

?

Do you use any product to 'improve' the HVAC system?

1. Yes

21.2%
  2. No

78.8%
  1. jipvk

jipvk P3D+ | 2020 | FSD | White Interior | White

As most of us have seen, there are various sources to buy a plastic grid to keep the HVAC air inlet under the hood clear of debris.

I now also saw another type of product surface. An actual filter that fits over the air inlet, and can be combined with the plastic grid on top, I didn't see it yesterday when I last checked Aliexpress.

I found the product when searching for "Tesla Model 3 Filter"

H1fa12d3bee69423ba1b0ee615ae26e27u.jpg
    H9260726e477a4e529a01405b6c76d8c5h.jpg
    H2c38b6858b8e4a1fab708d2466ab0fbft.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. jipvk

#2 jipvk, Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Personally I'm worried about air pass through pressure, we don't want to over strain the fan/blower.

Also if it gets wet, it's easy to get stinky and mouldy. It might be a good extra for summers and hot/dry climate environments however.

So I recommend the GRID to everyone!
    The added filter, might just be good for dry dusty climates.

• Like x 1
  3. mswlogo

mswlogo Well-Known Member

if it gets wet and then freezes you’ll really have trouble.

The grid looks like a great idea though.

4. jebinc

jebinc M3 LR AWD w/FSD and white premium interior

Where can this plastic grid be found? Agreed, adding a filter there doesn't seem wise...

5. jipvk

The grid is all over AliExpress, eBay, amazon. I purchased one and am awaiting delivery. (Don't have the car yet either. hahaha)

The grid gets great reviews for keeping leaves etc out. A simple first cloth filter underneath would be smart too to keep smaller debris out. This is a reason people get stinky HVAC, debris + moisture on the filter inside = stink.

• Like x 1
  6. jebinc

Picked one up for US $13.49 on eBay. Delivers on 11/27/19. Thanks!

• Like x 1
  7. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Active Member

I inserted this cover into a Knee High Nylon Stockings to block any small debris.

• Like x 4
  8. Perscitus

Perscitus Member

These filters have been around for about a month now (all e-commerce sites vendors etc)... previously there were a few DIY versions on Etsy and eBay, typically consisting of activated charcoal cloth or common HVAC pre-filter material trimmed to fit the 3s intake funnel.

The stocking or this coupled with the plastic perforated grill or chicken wire mesh equivalents, seem like good ideas for those who need them.

There is only a very limited hit on airflow when using one product, more pronounced when using two or combining with charcoal pellet cabin filters.

9. Perscitus

Perscitus Member

Screenshot_20191120-181725_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191120-181708_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191120-181632_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191120-181639_Gallery.jpg

• Informative x 1
  10. Perscitus

Perscitus Member

The notch cutouts do not match the Model 3s intake funnel flanges, no matter how you attempt to seat the filter... looks like they should and would ,but they dont. In the end it doesn't really matter. The filter element still sits well and when not forced to align a flange with either notch, covers the funnel end to end.

11. scohtay

scohtay Member

Note to UK Model 3 owners - So weird but my Model 3 P which I got in August (UK version) has a different air intake. it doesn't have the pointy end - it's squared off so this product (which i bought) does not fit! It's squared off for the brake fluid reservoir. That's a tenner down the drain . . . .

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  12. woodguyatl

woodguyatl Member

No issue here. A blocked intake will results in less power draw (but somewhat increased speed) of the fan.

• Disagree x 1
  13. jipvk

Ooh no! I hope the Swiss version doesn't have that shape... I think it's because of your steering wheel being on the other side maybe? I haven't seen any Model 3 with a differently shaped air intake, except yours!

14. Emeliaa Porter

Is it for Model 3?? I thought it may be bigger.

15. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Active Member

Good point, the oil container for the brake pedal seems to have been moved to the right.

16. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

I would worry about "over" filtering the air for the system power as well. Don't want to end up with something like a Legionaires disease with too much moisture accumulating in there especially if you live in a humid climate. Important for the filters to have enough air to dry out. Also a good idea to not keep recirc on all the time for the same reason.

17. arvindag

arvindag Member

Why not just put a nylon screen(mesh) on top /bottom of the Tesla cover.

18. Icenks

Icenks Member

Fan can overheat from friction and wear out the bearing.

19. jebinc

I cut and fit that green high flow, moisture resistant fibrous HVAC Return air side filter in mine; works great. This is the green fibrous stuff you cut to size and put inside your large HVAC return air grate(s). Keeps needles out and allows for max airflow. ;)

• Like x 1
  20. jipvk

Picture please. :D

• Like x 1