Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air intake filter - yes or no?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model 3 doesn't come with an air intake filter, but there are after-market options to add one.

(Not talking about the internal cabin; talking about an additional filter to go on top of the air intake under the hood in the front.)

Is it worth adding one?

It wasn't engineered to have one, or else it would come equipped and be available for replacement as OEM, so I'm wondering if it's a waste, if there's a downside to adding a potential restriction point...

Thoughts?

I use one and when I see it dirty I know that is less dirt on the cabin filter so more time before that has to be changed.
The downside is restriction of airflow for AC. The first filter I bought I had to up my AC fan for the same result so I didn't like it. I found another that didn't restrict the airflow in a noticeable way.

I was wondering this very question earlier this week, and watched a video on airflow effects. The guy taped a bunch of streamers to his dashboard and showed how they moved with no filter. He then added a filter and showed the effects of decreased airflow. He then also added a plastic grill guard which decreased further (but just a little more).

I'm almost tempted to try getting the intake grill guard and wrapping it in panty hose, or some other mesh that doesn't restrict airflow. I imagine it's less restricting than an actual filter, yet also keeps stuff out that shouldn't be there. But I'm not sure how quickly the mesh would get gross (does water actually get into that intake?)

I do have replacement filters and also AC coil cleaner arriving today since my AC speels awful. Never had to do anything like this with any other car I've owned. I love my Tesla, but this is poor design.

I just popped the cover off mine for the first time. Honestly, I feel like all it needs is some sort of mold-resistant hair net-type thing (hah hah, maybe even call them "Air Nets™", lol) but more dense so the holes are smaller, like panty hose, that goes around the intake, help in place by an elastic perimeter, and can be removed and washed as needed. This would allow almost complete airflow while preventing stuff from falling into it.

Last edited:
Reactions: dspwhite
I was highly skeptical of that open cavern under the hood, as well, and added one after market. It should help keep leaves, pine needles, insects, etc. from just accumulating in that deep, hard to reach void behind the actual cabin filter. I haven’t noticed any air flow side effects.
This is what I installed. It's not a "filter", it's a screen. Without this, I don't see how pine needles, maple helicopters, dead moths, etc. don't just fall straight through the slatted cover into the cabin airbox.
tempImageugiCzZ.jpg

This is what I installed. It's not a "filter", it's a screen. Without this, I don't see how pine needles, maple helicopters, dead moths, etc. don't just fall straight through the slatted cover into the cabin airbox.
View attachment 684538
I used the same version except I drilled the holes to 9/32 or .281. It allowed alot more flow and I was just trying to stop larger leaves and pineneedles from going in. Easy on a drill press.
20210714_140047.jpg

This would be the right type of material for an intake filter since it won’t stay wet and won’t restrict airflow, but still stop more debris than those covers with holes. Plus you could easily rinse it out.

Duraflow Filtration Mobile Home Foam Filter - 19 x 35 x 1/4 - Compatible with Coleman (Model # 7660-3401, 7660-340 and Nordyne (Model # 669073 & 669073R) - (1 Pack) Amazon.com: Duraflow Filtration Mobile Home Foam Filter - 19 x 35 x 1/4 - Compatible with Coleman (Model # 7660-3401, 7660-340 and Nordyne (Model # 669073 & 669073R) - (1 Pack): Home & Kitchen

Reactions: Rmchrger
View attachment 684538

I had one of these. Then I measured airflow from my vents with an anemometer. I immediately removed it. The restriction was significant - about 20% as I recall - and restricting airflow on a system not designed for it is never a good idea.

I had one of these. Then I measured airflow from my vents with an anemometer. I immediately removed it. The restriction was significant - about 20% as I recall - and restricting airflow on a system not designed for it is never a good idea.
I could only do the cheap test without a meter. Turned up the flow to 8 and set the plastic cover in place and noticed a definite reduction in flow as you mentioned, but maybe more, maybe 25%. I drilled them to 1/4 .250 the first time and noticed an improvement but still some restriction, guessing 10-15% maybe. Drilled them again to the 9/32 .281 and that really helped, barely noticeable restriction now. Maybe 5% reduction 10% max. I dont have a anemometer so just guessing. I'm happy with it now. And it should keep out the smallest of chickens...

• Funny
Reactions: Andy7 and smartypnz
The Model 3 doesn't come with an air intake filter, but there are after-market options to add one.

(Not talking about the internal cabin; talking about an additional filter to go on top of the air intake under the hood in the front.)

Is it worth adding one?

It wasn't engineered to have one, or else it would come equipped and be available for replacement as OEM, so I'm wondering if it's a waste, if there's a downside to adding a potential restriction point...

Thoughts?
I tried it. It restricted a lot of air. You have to run higher fan speeds to compensate and it's still not enough sometimes. I don't think it's worth it. I threw mine away. I wish there was one where it's just a thin paper/fiber like material and not something ridiculous like these "HEPA" filters.