Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Pocket Front Passenger Seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I've an air pocket on the front passenger back rest of the driver seat. It's not visible if you look at the seat but if you push the vegan leather with your hand, there's a gap between the leather and the seat cushion. It appears like the leather has come away from the seat. I took it to Tesla and they told me that they can't repair it as other Model 3's have the same issue on the Models without front passenger lumbar support. The driver's seat doesn't have the issue according to Tesla because the seat cover is glued to the lumbar support.
I just wanted to know if anyone has the same issue or should this be classed as a manufacturing defect?
Model 3 22 plate

Hi,

I've an air pocket on the front passenger back rest of the driver seat. It's not visible if you look at the seat but if you push the vegan leather with your hand, there's a gap between the leather and the seat cushion. It appears like the leather has come away from the seat. I took it to Tesla and they told me that they can't repair it as other Model 3's have the same issue on the Models without front passenger lumbar support. The driver's seat doesn't have the issue according to Tesla because the seat cover is glued to the lumbar support.
I just wanted to know if anyone has the same issue or should this be classed as a manufacturing defect?
Model 3 22 plate
That doesn't sound right ... surely it has lumbar support even if it's not adjustable! Can't comment on newer cars as mine does have the adjustable passenger lumbar support.

Hi,

Model 3 22 plate
picture?

There’s a thread on here somewhere about this leather coming away from what it’s stuck to. Head rests, steering wheels come to mind but not heard of the back of the seat. Tesla claim it’s hair wax, hand creams and other lotions if I recall the thread rightly.

Last edited:
It used to be the case that the seats were just missing the controls for the lumbar support, but that the actual part was still inside the seat. It could be that they’ve actually removed it completely on newer cars.

It used to be the case that the seats were just missing the controls for the lumbar support, but that the actual part was still inside the seat. It could be that they’ve actually removed it completely on newer cars.
They're bound to be making the seats without the original internals nowadays even if that was the case when they first made the change. However, in my opinion, there's no way they are going to make a seat and just leave a space... an appropriate padding piece would be bound to be fitted. I suppose any assembly operation can throw up a situation where something that should have been included has been missed out but that would surely be highly exceptional.

They're bound to be making the seats without the original internals nowadays even if that was the case when they first made the change. However, in my opinion, there's no way they are going to make a seat and just leave a space... an appropriate padding piece would be bound to be fitted. I suppose any assembly operation can throw up a situation where something that should have been included has been missed out but that would surely be highly exceptional.
The space/air pocket wasn't there before summer started. They did show me another model 3 that had the exact same issue and hence didn't want to change the seat/repair.

There’s a thread on here somewhere about this leather coming away from what it’s stuck to. Head rests, steering wheels come to mind but not heard of the back of the seat. Tesla claim it’s hair wax, hand creams and other lotions if I recall the thread rightly.
I've seen that thread. That looked like the leather bubbled, mine is different in the sense that it's just come away from the seat and is not fixed. I know it might sound pedantic but for an expensive new car, I would expect the seat to be intact.

I haven't pulled the upper apart but I think they are the same basic design as the lower.
The way the faux leather attaches to the foam is what we are discussing.
They use a combination of velcro and snaps.
I've taken many seats apart. Sometimes the snaps pull out of the foam.
Sometimes the snaps simply un snap.
Sometimes the velcro glue lets go.
You'd have to look into it, literally.
I could probably tell from the outside.