Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air "puff" during regen? Think nitrous BlowOff

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to search for a similar issue, but air, puff, blowoff all pull up many irrelevant threads so I'll go ahead and ask.

While driving home today, I over heard a "puff" of air while slowing down. After it did it again pulling into the neighborhood, realizing I didn't hear things or it wasn't my music, tried to replicate it.

This is what I know from my tests:
- Happened with AC/Heat on and off.
- When letting off accelerator, the "recharge" of the regen breakings was louder than normal. Such as the compressor when running the AC on blast. (Not as loud thought)
- after accelerating and releasing 2-3 times, from about 30mph, a "puff" would sound, which reminded me the sound of a nitrous blowoff valve, just more "puff" like.
- side note, I do have air suspension, bit this certainly seems tied to the Regen not thay

Is this normal? Car drove fine, no errors/issues etc. Just the first time ive ever heard it after 5000+ miles

Do you have air suspension? That's the only thing that makes a puff noise in the car. It usually happens when I start but sometime I hear it puff when it adjusts to auto balance. It probably puffs about once or twice per drive, maybe more but that is all I notice.

Try raising and lowering you air suspension to see if there is anything strange. It can be just normal adjustment, or you have a slow leak and it puffs to keep it inflated properly?

Does it only puff if you brake? If you let it sit there for 15 minute does it puffs?

Do you have air suspension? That's the only thing that makes a puff noise in the car. It usually happens when I start but sometime I hear it puff when it adjusts to auto balance. It probably puffs about once or twice per drive, maybe more but that is all I notice.

Try raising and lowering you air suspension to see if there is anything strange. It can be just normal adjustment, or you have a slow leak and it puffs to keep it inflated properly?

Does it only puff if you brake? If you let it sit there for 15 minute does it puffs?

This has only happened once, well one night, tonight. I replicated it 2-3 times. It happened after the 2-3rd time I took my foot off the accelerator and the regen started to slow the car.

The air suspension sound is different, its more letting air out of a balloon. This sound was certainly more
Does it sound like #13 on this site?
Sounds of Tesla Vehicles | TeslaTap
Mine P85+ w/air does this too and service did the evacuation and recharge but it still does it. I talked to the lead tech at my SC and he says it has something to do with the air dryer and some vehicles do this more than others but it seems to be normal even though my 85D doesn't make the noise. No problems after a year.

Not quite like any of those. More like this (without the very end sound)

I noticed my car doing this for years. From what I understand it does it periodical to purge the air dryer. It will do it only while moving. Usually about 3 times over a few minutes. I can hear the suspension air compressor running constantly while it is in this mode. I think my car does it more often than when it was new because the air suspension pump has to run more often. The air struts bleed off if the car is not driven. After about 2 days the back end of the car is almost on the ground. Might seem like "blow off" has gotten louder over the years. Perhaps there is something that needs to be serviced or replaced. But I have just been ignoring it.

Reactions: GHammer