Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air suspension adjustment unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SoCal Buzz

Early Adopter
Supporting Member
Oct 9, 2018
OC, Calif.
I updated to 2020.12.1 and immediately started getting intermittent air suspension adjustment not available errors. Reboot did not correct and neither did full reboot with brake pressed. Then suddenly the error went away next time I used car. Came back again today, and disappeared after turning off car.

Anyone seen this? Thanks

This exact thing happened to me on Sunday! Before the message, though, was a horrible grinding sound from the compressor. After I parked the car, locked it, and came back, the error went away. Since then, the compressor has purged itself a bit lore than usual, but that may be due to the infrequency of car use so maybe there’s more moisture built up. Error msg hasn’t come back. I’m on 2020.8.1.1 btw.

Due to the overwhelming interest, I'm updating this thread for future reference should anyone else get this error. After replacing the air suspension height sensor and failing to resolve the problem, the wiring for the sensor and then finally the entire front wiring harness was replaced. Great service and follow-up from the Lake Forest, CA Service Center, and support from Jimmy. I also was able to get treatment for the yellow border on center screen, and it looks great.

Due to the overwhelming interest, I'm updating this thread for future reference should anyone else get this error. After replacing the air suspension height sensor and failing to resolve the problem, the wiring for the sensor and then finally the entire front wiring harness was replaced. Great service and follow-up from the Lake Forest, CA Service Center, and support from Jimmy. I also was able to get treatment for the yellow border on center screen, and it looks great.
This morning I had a terrible noice and vibration when I started my P85-14. It was like the steering wheel was rattling for a few seconds. After that I got a red error message about the air suspension in the dashboard. When trying to adjust the air suspension height I got error messages that it was not available. The front of the car also got extremely low. Somewhat later after I had the car powered down the suspensions worked fine, only to return after a couple of hours. Is this similar to your problem? Was the problem something with the wiring?

This morning I had a terrible noice and vibration when I started my P85-14. It was like the steering wheel was rattling for a few seconds. After that I got a red error message about the air suspension in the dashboard. When trying to adjust the air suspension height I got error messages that it was not available. The front of the car also got extremely low. Somewhat later after I had the car powered down the suspensions worked fine, only to return after a couple of hours. Is this similar to your problem? Was the problem something with the wiring?
No, my issue was purely electronic, where the car could not adjust height. Your issue sounds mechanical, given front of car dropped and you heard noise along with vibration. More likely a problem with your air compressor, leak in an air shock or other related item, depending on the error message and whether entire front drops vs. one side.

No, my issue was purely electronic, where the car could not adjust height. Your issue sounds mechanical, given front of car dropped and you heard noise along with vibration. More likely a problem with your air compressor, leak in an air shock or other related item, depending on the error message and whether entire front drops vs. one side.
Aha, the whole front drops, but at some point things get back in order and I can raise and lower the suspension as designed with normal sound and behaviour. But the problem returned after parked a few hours. So my conclusion is that the compressor actually works and so does the suspension struts but something is off. A glitchy sensor? Frozen valve? Any more ideas?

Aha, the whole front drops, but at some point things get back in order and I can raise and lower the suspension as designed with normal sound and behaviour. But the problem returned after parked a few hours. So my conclusion is that the compressor actually works and so does the suspension struts but something is off. A glitchy sensor? Frozen valve? Any more ideas?
There is a controller unit that manages suspension height across all 4 air shocks, including compressor activation. If you have a slow leak or issue at the controller, it might be failing to regulate height after car sits for awhile. Your sensors must be working, if the car levels out again after startup. I recall some other threads on the topic, and so you may want to search accordingly.