Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension Appears on EPC in China

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just spotted this on Tesla EPC in China.

C795AD4D-97C7-4691-BA16-FAB38E2173BE.png

Well, this only solidified that my '20 MY has truly become an iPhone, and I will want to get a new version every 2 years to take advantage of the new hardware features. Wish a 24 month lease was available back in June. Oh, well. Looking forward to trading in 2022 for all the new features + larger battery. Most likely will lease like I used to with BMW, as this market/tech is simply moving too fast.

JUST picked up a Y SR.

Any good source of details on this air suspension?

Cost?
As an option or standard?
Impact on range?
Acceleration?
Handling?
Reliability and maintenance?

Some of these are speculation but some must have an objective answer for air suspension in general, right?

I will now wait to place my order. Tesla, please make this official and allow us to order a car with air suspension so we dont end up going with the ID4 (which has raving suspension/ride reviews vs the harsh ride of the Y).

have you driven the Y? there are people selling the 'softer suspensions' shilling and using the words 'harsh, rough etc" to sell their products, drive the vehicle and compare it in real life compared to others not online views of people who come from diff cars and have diff opinions, someone driving a lexus sitting in a MYP is gonna feel like its driving on rocks versus someone from a X5 BMW driving is gonna say its very similar

China has a history of getting exclusive models to cater to their market. Small luxurious cars meant to be driven around in. See BMW 3 series long wheelbase for example. I wouldn’t hold my breath.

This could also be a special version for China so Tesla doesn't have to deal with importing the Model X into the region? I doubt Tesla will be building S/X local in China any time soon, and it might be easier for them to add additional "luxury" features to the 3/Y in that region built locally. In fact, maybe they'll stop offering S/X there and instead push 3/Y, I would assume they can be more competitive on price and possible make more profit avoiding import taxes and shipping expense...

Reactions: Watts_Up
Personally I find the suspension on par for a car comparable to the performance. The ride in the MYLR 20" is = to GLC43, Porsche Macan GTS. I think a lot of people complaining about the ride have not had a performance car with 20" rims. Of all the cars in this class I find the MY least harsh.

Related to air suspension its another major component to fail. After reading all the comments on S/X suspension issues no thank you. This is a really big concern for me as I plan to get a CT and the air suspension is my only concern.

This could also be a special version for China so Tesla doesn't have to deal with importing the Model X into the region? I doubt Tesla will be building S/X local in China any time soon, and it might be easier for them to add additional "luxury" features to the 3/Y in that region built locally. In fact, maybe they'll stop offering S/X there and instead push 3/Y, I would assume they can be more competitive on price and possible make more profit avoiding import taxes and shipping expense...

I agree in that they would rather upgrade the smaller Y chassis than import the X.

Reactions: Eric9610
have you driven the Y? there are people selling the 'softer suspensions' shilling and using the words 'harsh, rough etc" to sell their products, drive the vehicle and compare it in real life compared to others not online views of people who come from diff cars and have diff opinions, someone driving a lexus sitting in a MYP is gonna feel like its driving on rocks versus someone from a X5 BMW driving is gonna say its very similar

I recently purchased a model Y and absolutely hate the harsh suspension! I’ve ordered a set of Ohlins Coilover shocks and if it does not cure the ride I will be selling my model Y... to bad, because otherwise it’s a great car.

I've owned 3 generations of X5s over 10 years prior to my MY LR, all but one of them had spring suspension, and they had 19" rims, and of all had run-flats, which notoriously ride firm, yet none of them had a ride as rough/choppy as my MY LR. Now, having said that, the price of my X5s were also $10-20K+ more expensive than my MY LR, backed by decades of German suspension engineering, which I can't overlook.

I still wonder if the early VINs like mine ride different than '21 model year MYs...that was open for debate for a while, but I haven't seen anything concrete to prove there is a difference.