Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension Appears on EPC in China

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've owned 3 generations of X5s over 10 years prior to my MY LR, all but one of them had spring suspension, and they had 19" rims, and of all had run-flats, which notoriously ride firm, yet none of them had a ride as rough/choppy as my MY LR. Now, having said that, the price of my X5s were also $10-20K+ more expensive than my MY LR, backed by decades of German suspension engineering, which I can't overlook.

I still wonder if the early VINs like mine ride different than '21 model year MYs...that was open for debate for a while, but I haven't seen anything concrete to prove there is a difference.

im suprised bro i have X5 thats stock its a 2016 and there wasnt much diff, maybe you are sensitive to the drive or were driving on crap roads i'm not sure but end of the day, might just be your personal preference. the X5 i drive had regular bridgestone tires on not the runflats so maybe that made a diff? if that's the case, you shoul change the tires on the LR AWD to something like michelin that are quieter

Knowledge is power. Knowledge can also be debilitating.

If you can wait, go ahead and wait for the next new thing to come along. But before that gets released, there will be something else that's rumored or in the works. Let's just wait for that too.

New headlights, new console, HEPA filter, new battery, air suspension.............

Man I hate forums LOL.

Yes dss33, the Model Y coilover set. From what I gather it will take me the better part of a day to do the installation myself. Then I’ll take the car to have the alignment set. I took a long hard look at the other two companies offering a suspension upgrade, Mountain Pass and Unplugged Performance. Both were very responsive and quick to get back to me. None of the three had any to sell immediately as they all said that the coilovers were on back order. I also checked out the various forums and YouTube videos before ultimately choosing the Ohlins from Redwood Motorsports. I hope that I’ve made a good decision as it’s not a cheap solution. I sure wish that my Tesla had been built with a decent suspension to begin with or at least offered a factory upgrade...

Last edited:
Reactions: dss33
Knowledge is power. Knowledge can also be debilitating.

If you can wait, go ahead and wait for the next new thing to come along. But before that gets released, there will be something else that's rumored or in the works. Let's just wait for that too.

New headlights, new console, HEPA filter, new battery, air suspension.............

Man I hate forums LOL.

yea lol but i notice everytime i buy something i do so much research and follow but once i get it i'm out of that thing like i feel i dont wanna talk and research abouit something i already have and moved on lol did that with my PC build and i never went on a pc build or parts website again but ill stick around here for other areas of the forum but to me its a car thats to be driven

I recently purchased a model Y and absolutely hate the harsh suspension! I’ve ordered a set of Ohlins Coilover shocks and if it does not cure the ride I will be selling my model Y... to bad, because otherwise it’s a great car.

LMK how it goes. I too am considering ditching the Y because of the suspension. I had a pre-order for the Redwood Motorsports since Sept. but recently cancelled it because it was taking so long. If they do end up working out I may consider them again.

Interesting. When Model 3 was introduced, I resolved to wait until Dual Motor and air suspension, like our Model S, were available. When Dual Motor came out mid-2018, my wife got her 3 Stealth Performance. No regrets. especially since it looks like air suspension won't come to US before mid-year.

Tear-downs show that 3 and Y are ready for air suspension.

Reactions: Tedkidd
Yes dss33, the Model Y coilover set. From what I gather it will take me the better part of a day to do the installation myself. Then I’ll take the car to have the alignment set. I took a long hard look at the other two companies offering a suspension upgrade, Mountain Pass and Unplugged Performance. Both were very responsive and quick to get back to me. None of the three had any to sell immediately as they all said that the coilovers were on back order. I also checked out the various forums and YouTube videos before ultimately choosing the Ohlins from Redwood Motorsports. I hope that I’ve made a good decision as it’s not a cheap solution. I sure wish that my Tesla had been built with a decent suspension to begin with or at least offered a factory upgrade...

I'd love to hear more about your decision on the Redwood's vs. MPP. I will be ordering one of the two for sure.

I'm also keeping my X3 M40 with adaptive suspension on 20" wheels for a while after my MYP delivery, so I'll be curious to see how different the two are.

have you driven the Y? there are people selling the 'softer suspensions' shilling and using the words 'harsh, rough etc" to sell their products, drive the vehicle and compare it in real life compared to others not online views of people who come from diff cars and have diff opinions, someone driving a lexus sitting in a MYP is gonna feel like its driving on rocks versus someone from a X5 BMW driving is gonna say its very similar
I've driven and owned modified street and track cars with aftermarket suspension parts. I'd rather drive around a fully built track Miata than a stock Model Y. That's my analogy of how stiff the ride is.

• Disagree
Reactions: BigKRIT and gundarx
Personally I find the suspension on par for a car comparable to the performance. The ride in the MYLR 20" is = to GLC43, Porsche Macan GTS. I think a lot of people complaining about the ride have not had a performance car with 20" rims. Of all the cars in this class I find the MY least harsh.

Related to air suspension its another major component to fail. After reading all the comments on S/X suspension issues no thank you. This is a really big concern for me as I plan to get a CT and the air suspension is my only concern.
If I didn't live in a region with snow, salted roads, I'd go with an AirDemand suspension but reliability of air suspension kits in colder regions aren't the greatest, unfortunately, so I went with the MPP adjustable coilovers instead.

im suprised bro i have X5 thats stock its a 2016 and there wasnt much diff, maybe you are sensitive to the drive or were driving on crap roads i'm not sure but end of the day, might just be your personal preference. the X5 i drive had regular bridgestone tires on not the runflats so maybe that made a diff? if that's the case, you shoul change the tires on the LR AWD to something like michelin that are quieter

Runflats make a huge difference, IMO. I've already changed out the tires on my MY LR to Vredestein Quatrac Pros, and that helped for sure, but hoping the order I put in months ago to UPP for the comfort springs improves things further.

Reactions: Tedkidd
I've owned 3 generations of X5s over 10 years prior to my MY LR, all but one of them had spring suspension, and they had 19" rims, and of all had run-flats, which notoriously ride firm, yet none of them had a ride as rough/choppy as my MY LR. Now, having said that, the price of my X5s were also $10-20K+ more expensive than my MY LR, backed by decades of German suspension engineering, which I can't overlook.

I still wonder if the early VINs like mine ride different than '21 model year MYs...that was open for debate for a while, but I haven't seen anything concrete to prove there is a difference.

I think my MY rides harsher than the BMW X1 it replaced to be honest. It's my wife's car and I don't think she minds. But I told her I'm swapping it out with a Cybertruck with air suspension when the time comes.

• Disagree
Reactions: BigKRIT
All this talk of the stiffness of the MY LR AWD has me really curious on spending time with a Test drive for my wife. She hates test drives but this will be important since our MY purchase will be driven 99% by her. She will compare to her Nissan Leaf which is OK but not as smooth as our older Honda Accord Hybrid Touring and she loved that car. Our MS replaced the Honda.

Anyway, Thanks for all the opinions and options you all are presenting.

We've owned all four models (S, 3, X and Y) and the 3 and Y are definitely rougher. Depending on the wheels and tires, the ride might be slightly rougher or smoother. My first Model S had coils and it rode better than the 3 or Y. My current S has a non-Raven air suspension and is much better than the 3 or Y...but it also cost nearly twice as much. The 3 and Y are still great cars for the price...just a bit bumpy, especially in the back seats.

We were considering selling our Y but the potential buyer complained about the ride...and will probably be buying our S instead.

• Informative
Reactions: VikH and Reeler
I'd love to hear more about your decision on the Redwood's vs. MPP. I will be ordering one of the two for sure.

I'm also keeping my X3 M40 with adaptive suspension on 20" wheels for a while after my MYP delivery, so I'll be curious to see how different the two are.
I had exactly that X3 (2018) and I can say that the BMW suspension was vastly superior to the Y (regular AWD, not performance). Both with 20" wheels and UHP A/S tires.