TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Air suspension auto lowering: who uses this?

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by Pjjava34, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Pjjava34

Pjjava34 Member

I'm curious how many of you guys have your air suspension set to lower at a certain speed. I drive on "standard" but have set it to lower to "low" once I hit 50 mph.

My only concern is that this will engage the air suspension on a daily basis many times over and it would wear out much sooner over time.
    Is this a valid concern? Do you guys have your set to lower your car or do you leave it on standard at all times?

Thanks for any insight!

2. McManX

McManX Member

I have it on, also think that is the default option. Helps with range. I don't think that is a valid concern but I could be wrong.

• Dislike x 1
  3. Redmiata98

Redmiata98 Member

My S amd my X are set to drop at 50. No problems with the 2014 S or X suspensions. Needless concern on your part because it is designed to work this way. You have not stopped rolling downn your windows yet have you because they might wear out?

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  4. BEEZR

BEEZR Member

I haven't rolled down a window in years... :D

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. ReturnZero

ReturnZero Member

I had an older Range Rover that did this too. I used it then and do now as well.

The pump still runs often enough to auto-level, pump in any extra air that leaked out over time, etc. I think the most common failure on air suspension is the air bladders in the springs, and I don't think raising or lowering the suspension regularly will affect the wear on those.

6. Ashkenaz

Ashkenaz Member

Is there any data on if low helps efficiency? The only thing I saw on low is for loading which didn't make any sense to me (manual stated this).

7. JPP

JPP Active Member

We have it set to 60 MPH on both of our S.

8. wanaxnow

wanaxnow Member

I have ours set to 70+ where at that point it lowers. Has anyone noticed the X remembering when it is supposed to lower based on GPS position? I enter a fairly low garage at work and manually have to drop the car to the lower position each time I approach the garage. My understanding is the X is supposed to remember the GPS coordinates and automatically adjust the height of the X. Maybe I am just missing something here.

9. bikeandsail

bikeandsail Member

I know it does remember to "raise" based on GPS, I have 2 locations set, don't know about lowering.

10. tdjvfr

tdjvfr Member

I don't have it set to auto-lower anymore. I manually lower here and there. The car is aligned at standard height. When lower, the inside tread wears out faster according to my SC.

• Informative x 1
  11. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I use it all the time and it doesn't cause tire wear if the toe on the rear is set correctly.

• Like x 1
  12. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

I am pretty sure mine is set to Low ever since we took delivery. Now I wonder if this is bad for the car. We took delivery this way, I never changed it.

13. jerry33

Default is lower at 100 mph. I have mine set to lower at 50 mph. Always low would scrape too often in my opinion.

• Helpful x 1
  14. Ashkenaz

Ashkenaz Member

After my first road trip in my S, on east coast, dodging bits of tire and dead animals, I'm sticking with standard. I was going to change to lower, but then read pop-up alert on potential damage and decided not to. Sure enough, later that day I managed to dodge sone tire debris (darned semis) and that night went over at least two small animal carcasses that popped up before I could dodge. Maybe daytime in Cali, but in mountains of West Virginia at night, ---- oh well. Btw what an amazing car. First road trip. I use the air all the time. There were two SC and a parking garage that I raised to very high for. Incline was a bit steep. I can't stop talking about this amazing vehicle.

• Informative x 1
  15. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

I changed mine to standard and lower at 60mph. I haven't tested the auto lowering yet. I assume it will auto raise below 60 then. I wonder how fast it reacts. It could be going up and down in busy traffic on the highway.

16. markn455

markn455 Member

My SC told me the same thing. The problem is those who run it set to low all the time. Around town at low speeds will cause some abnormal wear. There is no advantage at slower speeds below 60 or so. Running low at highway speeds does improve efficiency and the SC tells me that it does not cause abnormal tire we are running low at highway speeds. They do not recommend driving around set to low all the time.

17. jerry33

Once it lowers (when set to 50) it goes back to standard at around 30. If it didn't do this, it would waste a lot of energy cycling back and forth in freeway traffic.

18. jerry33

It would scrape way too many times on speed bumps if set to always low.

19. RossRAllen

RossRAllen Member

My SC said that LOW changes wheel camber (just like overloading a car — wheels tip inward on the top — causing increased wear on the inside of the tires. So, I keep my X at Standard all the time. That, and increased exposure to road debris is not worth a few % in range — if even that much—at highway speeds.

Having auto lower based on geofencing would actually make entry and exit easier from the cabin. I end up kicking the inside of the bottom of the door and scuffing the plastic trying to get out in tight places.

20. jerry33

Unless the X is different than the S, it will do that based on geofencing. In fact, you have to override it to stop it from using the location.