TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Air Suspension coming to Model 3 in EU / EU deliveries Q1 '19

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by emir-t, Dec 3, 2018.

1. emir-t

emir-t Member

So a friend living in NL sent me these photos today. He saw them in Arnhem Service Center in the NL. They're EU Model 3 test mules. They have the CCS socket and were converted from US cars. Information received from test engineers;

- Supercharger retrofits to CCS Type 2 socket will begin this month to ready every Supercharger being available to early Model 3 deliveries.
    - Some 1st day res. holders will receive their Model 3s in Q1 2019. I'm guessing Tesla employees and relatives?
    - CCS adapter for S/X in Q2 2019.
    - They said they would retrofit one of those Model 3s with air suspension later this week. So in the future we will see air suspension as an option on Model 3.
    - We tried to check out the charging screen to see charging speed. However they wouldn't unlock the cars. If it is 32A 3 phase it would be a game changer. Last nail in the coffin for absolute EU domination. However I'll assume LR pack 24A and smaller packs 16A 3 phase.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Informative x 7
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. mikevbf

mikevbf Supporting Member

I wonder if this means air suspension is coming to Model 3 worldwide soon? Elon Musk did say the air suspension would be an option on the M3 in 2019. I can not remember if he indicated a particular quarter or first half of 2019. I will order my M3 as soon as I can get it with air suspension.

• Like x 1
  3. DB-Cooper

DB-Cooper Member

Wonder how that’ll play for Performance models. I’m fine without air suspension in a sports car, do love it on my wife’s Volvo XC90, but didn’t love it in my Audi S6. That said, I think the M3P+ rides too tall, visually too much wheel gap. I imagine air suspension will help with that, but so would some progressive springs. Happy with the ride quality and handling of the P+ but definitely think it needs to be lower.

• Like x 1
  4. Canikony

Canikony Member

No thanks. Air suspension is notoriously unreliable and expensive to repair.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  5. Gavyne

Gavyne Member

It's an option many people want so good to hear it's coming in Q1 2019.

6. sreams

sreams Member

7. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

I had wanted to hold out for air suspension as was happy with it on our MS on all the agressively high “speed bumps” our city has spread around town and in parking lots. Also our driveway is on a angle. Ended up pulling the trigger on the AWD LR version and have been very happy with it and it has cleared those problem areas. I wonder how much more they will charge for SAS. I would have also loved a pano roof. Not that I’m unhappy with my glass roof but just like the ability to open up the roof. In the meantime have loved having my Model 3 to drive.

• Like x 1
  8. matex

matex Member

I agree. I placed my reservation in Dec2016 and I received the invitation to order Model 3 last week, indicating the delivery will be in February at Lisbon. However, when I looked for my preferred options, air suspension SAS and cream premium interior (like I have in my current BMW 5 series), I found out we have to wait more time to get it.
    Maybe we will have it late in 2019, together with the next developments autopilot 3.0, FSD and Supercharger V3.

9. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

Completely agree. I actively do not want it on any vehicle I own.

10. SJC3

SJC3 Member

+1 if it’s more than $2000 extra. I like the ride height adjustability on the the MS but didn’t find the ride noticeably more comfortable. Springs work good enough on the street.

11. mikevbf

Tesla has figured out how to make air suspension reliable. If they had not, they would not be offering it as the only suspension choice on their new premium Model S and X. I have driven mine for over 40k miles on my MX with no issues.

12. mike123abc

mike123abc Member

I would love to see a retrofit option for it, but I doubt that would be available. My driveway is steep. My M3 will scrape if I have someone in the back seat. I would love to be able to raise it up for the garage.

13. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

Mercedes charged an arm and a leg to repair their air suspension cars. Now there are lots of used parts available for Tesla, so ir should be pretty reasonable for repairs at an independant garage.

From forum posts, the air suspensions seem to be pretty reliable.

14. mikevbf

Any new news on timing of Model 3 air suspension option? It is the last option I am waiting for.

15. Buzd

Buzd Member

Air spring reliability is not a matter of miles but years. The rubber cracks like tires over time. My 11 year old Mercedes w/100k mi is on its 3rd set at $4000 a set. Glad my Model 3 that is replacing MB has lifetime springs.

16. Birdman325

Birdman325 Member

I know it is hard to say that you don’t miss something when you don’t have it; but I don’t have it on my 3 and I don’t miss it.