Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Air suspension compressor disabled" to be fixed in software update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back in July I began getting "Air suspension compressor disabled" alerts whenever I drove my 2018 Model X, which was recently out of warranty. I brought the car in for service, and they replaced the compressor and valve block and sent me on my way with my wallet about $1K lighter.

A few weeks later, the alerts began again, and I was able to get another appointment in August (a a different local service center). They held onto the car for a week with no communication or updates. I'm generally pretty patient, but finally requested an update in the app, and they responded saying they were starting to look at it. The following day, instead of responding in the app, I got a call from someone who identified themselves as my service advisor's boss. This individual reported that they could find nothing wrong, but they believe it is a firmware issue and it should be fixed in an upcoming update, and he asked me to bring it back if it is not fixed after the . Since it was handled outside the app, I don't have an exact record of the correspondence. He refunded me for the earlier service where the compressor was replaced, since it was apparently not the root issue, and sent me on my way.

The car is drivable - but suspension is stuck at a middle height, and the suspension alert pops up whenever I hit ~20mph.

My instincts say that this "issue to be fixed in a software update" story sounds like BS - but I'm curious if anyone has any experience with this type of response from a Service Center.

Ultimately, I'm planning to sell the car in the near future - but I'm concerned this alert renders it either unsellable, or will at least cause a massive hit in the resale value while it remains unresolved.

I had that a few times on the mx 2020 the latest firmwares have not seen the problem return ..but the 2020 had the efuse module running compressor you have a 70 amp relay that is known for having bad contacts where it will pull in but won’t run the compressor..if the compressor runs for too long it will throw that code ..you might have a leak somewhere ..with the new firmware service mode you can watch the suspension

Reactions: outdoors
Back in July I began getting "Air suspension compressor disabled" alerts whenever I drove my 2018 Model X, which was recently out of warranty. I brought the car in for service, and they replaced the compressor and valve block and sent me on my way with my wallet about $1K lighter.

A few weeks later, the alerts began again, and I was able to get another appointment in August (a a different local service center). They held onto the car for a week with no communication or updates. I'm generally pretty patient, but finally requested an update in the app, and they responded saying they were starting to look at it. The following day, instead of responding in the app, I got a call from someone who identified themselves as my service advisor's boss. This individual reported that they could find nothing wrong, but they believe it is a firmware issue and it should be fixed in an upcoming update, and he asked me to bring it back if it is not fixed after the . Since it was handled outside the app, I don't have an exact record of the correspondence. He refunded me for the earlier service where the compressor was replaced, since it was apparently not the root issue, and sent me on my way.

The car is drivable - but suspension is stuck at a middle height, and the suspension alert pops up whenever I hit ~20mph.

My instincts say that this "issue to be fixed in a software update" story sounds like BS - but I'm curious if anyone has any experience with this type of response from a Service Center.

Ultimately, I'm planning to sell the car in the near future - but I'm concerned this alert renders it either unsellable, or will at least cause a massive hit in the resale value while it remains unresolved.
I’ve just, this evening, got the “Air compressor disabled” warning. I’ve not noticed any feeling that it’s genuine in the drive feel but obviously I can’t adjust the suspension. It doesn’t actually say to contact service in the warning notification which is odd. Not sure if it’s to do with the sudden freezing temperatures here in the UK.
On the firmware side, my car went in for an MCU upgrade about 2 month ago and since then I get multiple “seatbelt restraint fault issues” relating to the middle or third row. Tesla, after investigating, said that it was a firmware issue and would be resolved in the future. That doesn’t help as I wouldn’t be able to differentiate between their “firmware issue” and a genuine fault.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I have the same issue. SC told me the same thing, software issue and I need to wait til next update and that it’s safe to drive. The whole driver side is slammed while the passenger side is standard height but looks higher because of the driver side sagging down. I asked and they assured me on the messaging app it’s safe to drive and have been. Sometimes I get lucky and the suspension works. Really blows my mind how this is not an immediate concern and addressed sooner than later. I think just like most times they should send an alert of a bug so I don’t waste my time to drive 40 mins which is the closet SC for me.

I have the same issue. SC told me the same thing, software issue and I need to wait til next update and that it’s safe to drive. The whole driver side is slammed while the passenger side is standard height but looks higher because of the driver side sagging down. I asked and they assured me on the messaging app it’s safe to drive and have been. Sometimes I get lucky and the suspension works. Really blows my mind how this is not an immediate concern and addressed sooner than later. I think just like most times they should send an alert of a bug so I don’t waste my time to drive 40 mins which is the closet SC for me.
It’s crazy. I asked for it in writing from them that they are specifically telling me to ignore the seatbelt restraint warning (that tells me to contact service) and to proceed as if there are no issues. Once I spelled out the pitfalls in that advice they simply had no idea what to say and said they would have to speak to one of the “Master engineers”. I asked them if I should just carry on driving with my daughter in the back and to ignore the warning…..they responded, verbally, that I should. When I asked for it in writing the opinion soon changed.

It’s crazy. I asked for it in writing from them that they are specifically telling me to ignore the seatbelt restraint warning (that tells me to contact service) and to proceed as if there are no issues. Once I spelled out the pitfalls in that advice they simply had no idea what to say and said they would have to speak to one of the “Master engineers”. I asked them if I should just carry on driving with my daughter in the back and to ignore the warning…..they responded, verbally, that I should. When I asked for it in writing the opinion soon changed.
Really disappointing, they all feel that it’s a monopoly when it comes to the service and you’re at their mercy so there’s little pressure for accountability

got an update today and still the same issue, anyone have any luck on it being fixed?
Nope, I got an update yesterday. Regular bug fixes from the holiday update. Did notice my seatbelt error more yesterday though. These errors won’t get fixed, I guarantee it. I genuinely considered selling the car yesterday after the error popped up. I know they told me to ignore the messages but I just don’t feel right doing so.

My air suspension compressor disable message came on Dec 23 during -5 degree temp outside. Limped home, charged up in the garage all weekend with no resolution. Very bumpy ride & front jammed down near wheels. This will be my third replacement on my 2016 Model X in the past 4 years. Last one 11 months ago. Any advice for a definitive fix?

the problem is that on a model x diagnostics for the air system is not a quick procedure it takes time to do it right ..you need to have the toolbox running you need it up on a 2 post lift and then you need nitrogen and then you need to remove the plastic fender covers to do leak testing ..this is very time consuming .
So my point is that they don’t want to spend 5 hrs on it give you a 1500 bill and then the message comes back again

Last edited:
My air suspension compressor disable message came on Dec 23 during -5 degree temp outside. Limped home, charged up in the garage all weekend with no resolution. Very bumpy ride & front jammed down near wheels. This will be my third replacement on my 2016 Model X in the past 4 years. Last one 11 months ago. Any advice for a definitive fix?
I’m having the same issue, the front is bottomed out and the rear is normal, is there any way to manually raise the front to allow it to be driven to the SC, my nearest SC is about 75 miles away.

I got the air suspension compressor disabled message couple of times and went away within an hour leaving it in the garage. I setup an appointment to be safe. They charged $3126 to replace compressor,both air springs. Within 2 miles of driving from service center, the message popped again. Immediately returned back to the service center. I believe they are unnecessarily changing these parts and charging huge amount.
Model x 2016

I got the air suspension compressor disabled message couple of times and went away within an hour leaving it in the garage. I setup an appointment to be safe. They charged $3126 to replace compressor,both air springs. Within 2 miles of driving from service center, the message popped again. Immediately returned back to the service center. I believe they are unnecessarily changing these parts and charging huge amount.
Model x 2016
Yep. They don’t repair anything. Just switch them up. Most errors are software based and they won’t solve individual software issues.

Model x 2016
You will get that message to protect the compressor from over heating when it runs too long....could be a leveling valve not reading the height correctly

Model x 2016
Yeap. Model S 2014 performance. and Sure enough Tesla claims I need to pay $1,580 to replace compressor, solenoid, relay fuse. I may end up just going back to combustion engine. This type of cost is just absurd. It makes no sense. I have seen many video complaints about this. Ive seen it impact all years from 2013-2022. Blame it on German parts or whatever, but this kind of problem is costly and very hard to find the leak.

Yeap. Model S 2014 performance. and Sure enough Tesla claims I need to pay $1,580 to replace compressor, solenoid, relay fuse. I may end up just going back to combustion engine. This type of cost is just absurd. It makes no sense. I have seen many video complaints about this. Ive seen it impact all years from 2013-2022. Blame it on German parts or whatever, but this kind of problem is costly and very hard to find the leak.
They’ve picked a trick up from the likes of Dacia. Swap the entire lot and it solves the issue. Every quote I’ve had from Tesla says as much..they over quote on parts and say they will alter the difference if parts aren’t used (Never happens except for washers and fixings 🤣) That’s why it’s difficult to get your replaced “faulty” parts back from them upon repair. They claim that the parts they’re replacing offset the cost of your repair so they can use components for spare components. Pretty much says as much in the T & C of your estimate. Got a quote for over £1000 for seatbelt controller repairs, but when I pushed them on it they said it was simply software/firmware issues. Had I not pushed them they would have unnecessarily swapped the parts.

You will get that message to protect the compressor from over heating when it runs too long....could be a leveling valve not reading the height correctly
That would be fine, and I’m glad you’ve mentioned that….but Tesla have never once mentioned that to me regarding my issue. All they have said is swap the entire suspension system. Turns out that, in my case at least, waiting until the weather got a bit warmer fixed it. The remote diagnosis they do seems great…but has contradicted what the actual repair costs are, usually for the better, but it’s taken questioning it to get to that point.

They’ve picked a trick up from the likes of Dacia. Swap the entire lot and it solves the issue. Every quote I’ve had from Tesla says as much..they over quote on parts and say they will alter the difference if parts aren’t used (Never happens except for washers and fixings 🤣) That’s why it’s difficult to get your replaced “faulty” parts back from them upon repair. They claim that the parts they’re replacing offset the cost of your repair so they can use components for spare components. Pretty much says as much in the T & C of your estimate. Got a quote for over £1000 for seatbelt controller repairs, but when I pushed them on it they said it was simply software/firmware issues. Had I not pushed them they would have unnecessarily swapped the parts.
That's why I declined to have it fixed because my gut tells me its either a small leak or something else other than a compressor. Compressor is engaging. Honestly not sure what to do. I may just trade it in and cut my losses.