Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Air suspension compressor disabled" to be fixed in software update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both struts on the driver's side sag... air leak down
I am a pretty decent mechanic, but looking at the Tesla parts catalog for the air suspension...I don't see how this is possible.

The F and Rear lines are not joined anywhere - each individual line runs to the air distro block. What is going on?
- I sprayed the distro block down with soapy water. No leaks.
- Sprayed down both front strut air line connectors... no leaks.
- storage tank is full

This leaves me with taking the wheels off tomorrow and spraying down the driver's rear (connectors and bellows) and the front bellows... got to find the leak.

About 2 weeks ago the drivers side started to sag overnight, and the compressor would run occasionally. Two days ago, the "air suspension compressor? disabled" message came on.

Well, Tesla service is a joke.
They diagnosed a "bad suspension pump and solenoid valve".
Replaced for $750.
Called and said...that's not the only problem. It also needs a rear strut. $1,500 more please.
I told them put it back together, I'm coming to get it...and I want the "bad pump and solenoid"
They couldn't find the parts when I picked it up.
I got it home and removed both the driver's side struts and leak tested.
Both leak on the top ring where the c-clip retainer is.

I ordered to Arnott 1 F and 1 Rear from RockAuto.
on the AWD they are the same side to side, so I can rebuild the OEM struts and keep them on the shelf as spares for the other side...or if the Arnotts don't work out.

Called and said...that's not the only problem. It also needs a rear strut. $1,500 more please.
I told them put it back together, I'm coming to get it...and I want the "bad pump and solenoid"
They couldn't find the parts when I picked it up.
I got it home and removed both the driver's side struts and leak tested.
Both leak on the top ring where the c-clip retainer is.

I ordered to Arnott 1 F and 1 Rear from RockAuto.
on th

So it's true Tesla knows about the problem and the service center is just collecting money. They dont care. Even when you warn them, they still dont care.

I got the air suspension compressor disabled message couple of times and went away within an hour leaving it in the garage. I setup an appointment to be safe. They charged $3126 to replace compressor,both air springs. Within 2 miles of driving from service center, the message popped again. Immediately returned back to the service center. I believe they are unnecessarily changing these parts and charging huge amount.
Model x 2016
After being there with service center for one more week, they said it is ready to pickup. This time they said the sensor brackets but still all those parts were needed and paid $3126 and got my model x home last night. The message came back again today. No appointment for 10 days. Messaged the service center and waiting for a response. They replaced these parts and robbed $3k+ and the issue came back. I asked them to give me all the parts. I placed them in my trunk and picked up last week. Within couple of miles from service center, they message came back and tuned back and gave it to service center last week. When I picked up yesterday, the parts were removed from my trunk. When I messaged them they said they will find out from tech and no update yet.
I am very disappointed with this issue going on so long.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
After being there with service center for one more week, they said it is ready to pickup. This time they said the sensor brackets but still all those parts were needed and paid $3126 and got my model x home last night. The message came back again today. No appointment for 10 days. Messaged the service center and waiting for a response. They replaced these parts and robbed $3k+ and the issue came back. I asked them to give me all the parts. I placed them in my trunk and picked up last week. Within couple of miles from service center, they message came back and tuned back and gave it to service center last week. When I picked up yesterday, the parts were removed from my trunk. When I messaged them they said they will find out from tech and no update yet.
I am very disappointed with this issue going on so long.

here’s another very “ satisfied “ air suspension customer. This is alarming. I need to get rid of my car as soon as I can, so I don’t have to keep incurring these ridiculous costs And go back to ICE vehicles.

I would bet the issue is related to an update. the fact you replaced equipment, and it came back says there something major going on here. you have a model x too, I have model s! I’m thinking it’s a software update.

My air suspension compressor disable message came on Dec 23 during -5 degree temp outside. Limped home, charged up in the garage all weekend with no resolution. Very bumpy ride & front jammed down near wheels. This will be my third replacement on my 2016 Model X in the past 4 years. Last one 11 months ago. Any advice for a definitive fix?
3 suspension air replacements in 4 years. That’s not good at all. No one at Tesla cares either.

I guess the tech was right on firmware update ..almost entire tas2 code base being removed in 2023 update..also go to model x service page and the entire air suspenion system is explained in detail and yes this is legacy model x /s...I didnt know that the damping is reset during a calibration reset so the car re learns bottom and top of spring damping.. thats a partial list of codes several tas codes also being removed

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
I guess the tech was right on firmware update ..almost entire tas2 code base being removed in 2023 update..also go to model x service page and the entire air suspenion system is explained in detail and yes this is legacy model x /s...I didnt know that the damping is reset during a calibration reset so the car re learns bottom and top of spring damping.. thats a partial list of codes several tas codes also being removed
Hmm I wonder how many have spent $$ replacing suspension, only to find problem persists after, and it was this all along.

I belive the open air line or blocked air line was causing alot of the compressor disabled messages ..my mx2020 with the latest fsd got a comp disabled a few days ago it had the blocked air line hidden message Looks like there putting all codes in the tas code instead of tas2 ..better explantions of the ciruit on the code descriptions as well ..like voltages and amp draws

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-12 072634.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-02-12 072634.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot 2023-02-12 071904.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-02-12 071904.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Very helpful post, despite all the mostly negative experiences people are having. I'm a DIY'er and just replaced 2 struts and control arms on my Model S without issue, luckily didn't have any errors or problems after. Then today I get the "Air Suspension Adjustment Is Not Available, Car May Not Be Level" message on my Model X. Where are you getting those bulletin screenshots I see above @MobileClimate ? I've only recently delved into the online manuals and Service Mode to see what other service I can do myself and other things I have control over. Updating my car as I type this (2023.6.8) so I'm curious when the alleged "fixes" for suspension related issues will be delivered via update. Also you mention the "Model X service page" is this something available to the general public?

Cheers!

It’s from searching articles with toolbox 3 subscription..my theory is that there making the suspension codes into one group . I’m sure there’s has been at least million dollars of misdiagnosed suspension work . That’s the motivation of tesla to make diagnostics easier is because it saves them money ..all other oems don’t care because it’s a third party dealer making money on car repairs so why should they make diagnostics easier

Reactions: Krash