Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension Compressor Disabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had this warning pop up on my screen today. 2018 MX 100D with about 10K miles since 6/18. Always driven in low setting. Has been driving perfect up till now. Today driving to work noticed that it wasn't as smooth riding on the freeways as before and I thought it may need a wheel balance. On the way home from work warning appeared while driving " Air suspension compressor disabled" (photos attached). I pulled off the freeway and rebooted it. Warning went away but came back within a few minutes of driving again. Called the tesla road side service who had no clue and suggested I go to the SC. I proceeded to Buena Park SC shortly before closing, where they looked at it but senior tech advised that they could not get me in due to their schedule and it maintaining height. If it bottomed out and needed to be towed in they could take it (Not really a satisfactory answer). I already have a appointment scheduled for June 15, for a nonworking key fob. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I doing more damage by driving this the way it is till my appointment in June (2 weeks away)? Any Suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_8476.jpg
    IMG_8476.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 2,432
  • IMG_8483.jpg
    IMG_8483.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 1,741
  • IMG_8484.jpg
    IMG_8484.jpg
    537.6 KB · Views: 1,570
  • IMG_8484.jpg
    IMG_8484.jpg
    537.6 KB · Views: 1,518
  • IMG_8476.jpg
    IMG_8476.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 1,514
  • IMG_8483.jpg
    IMG_8483.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 1,627
  • Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
FYI, I had this happen this last weekend for the first time on my 2016 P90D.

"Air Suspension Compressor Disabled"

After a soft & hard reset it didn't go away.

Here's what finally fixed it:

1. Park the car.
  2. Go to "Safety & Security"
  3. Hit "Power Off" [Yeah, I didnt' know that was there either.... ]
  4. Wait 2 minutes.
  5. Hit the brake and start the car up.

That cleared it right up for me.

Didn't see your post before I went to SC today. My X ended up with the front of the car "slammed" since yesterday. Compressor still disabled. Pictures attached of before and after( need to focus on gap between fender and front wheel). Went in to the Buena Park SC and showed it to a SA (Tariq) who has helped me in the past and he got me a loaner right away. Shoud be taken care of along with the issues with my key fobs hopefully.

Attachments

• IMG_8484.jpg
    IMG_8484.jpg
    537.6 KB · Views: 1,737
  • IMG_8506.jpg
    IMG_8506.jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 1,755
Got the same message this morning. Left rear sagging.I drove straight to the SC. The Service manager said it might be a leaking shock and the had the parts in stock. They also said it is a safety issue and gave it priority status. Got a MS loaner and was on my way. Hope they fix it in a day or two. Going on cross country road trip on Sunday.

Been driving my MX since replacing air suspension compressor and have noticed a high speed shimmy above 50mph on smooth roads that wasn’t present before. Doesn't get worse at higher speeds. Took it to a local shop and had alignment checked ( OK), wheels checked (not bent), road force balanced. Shimmy still present. Hoping it is not due to front half axles going bad. 12K miles
Any thoughts?

Reactions: pereiks
Hey everyone,
This just happened to me as well... air suspension disabled on my 2016 X 75D. It also happened this past summer and went away shortly thereafter. Lately the compressor sounded like it was about to fall apart... then the warning came on! I just passed 100K km this weekend so no more warranty.... any idea on what this compressor issue is going to run me?

I just got this message first thing this morning. My 2016 90D X has 220,000 km. I tried the “power off” method and waited 2 minutes before stepping on the brakes to power on the car. Air suspension immediately raised the X and message is now gain. Glitchy bugger

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
FYI, I had this happen this last weekend for the first time on my 2016 P90D.

"Air Suspension Compressor Disabled"

After a soft & hard reset it didn't go away.

Here's what finally fixed it:

1. Park the car.
  2. Go to "Safety & Security"
  3. Hit "Power Off" [Yeah, I didnt' know that was there either.... ]
  4. Wait 2 minutes.
  5. Hit the brake and start the car up.

That cleared it right up for me.

Thanks. That worked for me.

A little over 4,000 miles on my X, and I've received the error twice in the past week. Did a reset the second time (first time, the error flashed and went away). I have a 2019 pre-Raven build.

Turns out I needed new front air struts, as well as two other air suspension modules that connected the front air suspension. I had an air leak. $4800 Canadian including tax for the front. I guess reasonable after 225,000 km. Wondering when the rears will go....

Been driving my MX since replacing air suspension compressor and have noticed a high speed shimmy above 50mph on smooth roads that wasn’t present before. Doesn't get worse at higher speeds. Took it to a local shop and had alignment checked ( OK), wheels checked (not bent), road force balanced. Shimmy still present. Hoping it is not due to front half axles going bad. 12K miles
Any thoughts?
Had the air suspension compressor changed last year and after that the clevis mount for the front end shudder which solved that problem, but was feeling every bump in the road. After a long back and forth with my SC (months) they finally changed out my front air shock units under warranty. Drive like it was when new. Here is a picture of front end after the air suspension compressor failed. You can see the front end "slammed"
IMG_8506.jpg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 1,703
Didn't see your post before I went to SC today. My X ended up with the front of the car "slammed" since yesterday. Compressor still disabled. Pictures attached of before and after( need to focus on gap between fender and front wheel). Went in to the Buena Park SC and showed it to a SA (Tariq) who has helped me in the past and he got me a loaner right away. Shoud be taken care of along with the issues with my key fobs hopefully.
Just curious how far you drove to the service center with the air suspension compressor disabled like that. I am in the same situation, my service center is about 30 minutes away and I need to take the highway, just wondering if its safe to drive there like that with the front "slammed".

Had the air suspension compressor changed last year and after that the clevis mount for the front end shudder which solved that problem, but was feeling every bump in the road. After a long back and forth with my SC (months) they finally changed out my front air shock units under warranty. Drive like it was when new. Here is a picture of front end after the air suspension compressor failed. You can see the front end "slammed"
View attachment 501760
How did you convince them / what did you say for them to agree to change out the front air shock units under warranty? I am in a similar situation as they just changed my air suspension compressor. I feel like I feel every bump in the road as well.

I had very easy to work with SA. Just was very firm in my insistence that the struts had been damaged during my 20 mile drive to the SC as I had been instructed to do by them. Since that episode though I have had multiple other issues with my MX. So far with 3 1/2 years and 40 K miles I have had the air suspension compressor fail again and struts replace again. Front half axles and clevis mount replaced twice. Air Conditioning compressor replaced for internal failure. Front Motor replaced for oil leak due to crack in the case ( No idea how that happened ) Falcon Wing Door windows replaced for faulty seals. All covered by the factory warranty. Currently it is at the SC for front control arms due to bushing failure.
I truly think I got a lemon ( about 2% of Teslas are according to a lemon law lawyer I have spoken with). About 6 months left on my Warranty. Currently debating what to do with the car at this point.

Reactions: Kb24
Thanks for the reply.

I just bought my used MX and it's been in the service center a few times for a some larger fixes as well. Good thing it came with the pre-owned warranty so it was covered. Just hoping everything craps out before warranty is over as these fixes would be pricy out of pocket!

If problems continue at this rate I would probably sell when warranty is almost up.