Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension deflating slowly - SC will replace bascially everything

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is refreshing to read this post which cleared my bad experience years ago on my 2014 MS with optional air suspension. I had parked the car at a parking lot and the bumper lip was over the curb but did clear the curb. After returning and I tried to back out the car, the car must have lowered itself and it ripped the front bumper partly off the front. Tesla gave me an estimate of $2,500 repair and weeks of wait for parts. At the time, I was able to escalate my case to the HQ and thank goodness, they agreed to waiver the repair. After reading this thread, it must be the air leak that caused the car to low itself. Nevertheless, my paranoid persisted. I just picked up a 2022 MS LR, again with air suspension. I will never go near a curb or will back in to a curb.

This is refreshing to read this post which cleared my bad experience years ago on my 2014 MS with optional air suspension. I had parked the car at a parking lot and the bumper lip was over the curb but did clear the curb. After returning and I tried to back out the car, the car must have lowered itself and it ripped the front bumper partly off the front. Tesla gave me an estimate of $2,500 repair and weeks of wait for parts. At the time, I was able to escalate my case to the HQ and thank goodness, they agreed to waiver the repair. After reading this thread, it must be the air leak that caused the car to low itself. Nevertheless, my paranoid persisted. I just picked up a 2022 MS LR, again with air suspension. I will never go near a curb or will back in to a curb.

Not necessarily. The air suspension can adjust height based on sensor position after the car turns off. I've seen it lower as much as 1/4 to 1/2 an inch, especially in the front, after the car turns off.

So while a leak is possible, that would be consistent - you'd feel it re-adjust upward every time you turned it on. And it would be on the ground after a day or so of not being used.

If that was a one-time occurrence, it was more than likely a height adjustment while the car was off.

Reactions: Chris Redfield
Good to know. So, it can still happen to my 2022 refreshed. I tried to measure the bottom of the lip to the ground and got 7 inches after parking for a while. I set the driving height and standard. It would be a nightmare if this happened again. My 2014 was stuck in SC a long time. I was given another MS loaner smoker car. At least they provided loaner then.

Hmm... so I have the suspension set at low. At least a few times a day, I would hear the distinct air compressor (for suspension) kicks in (kinda like a whistle) for like a second or so while driving. Note this is in addition to specific GPS based suspension raise.

I always took this behavior as normal, but now I am not so sure any more...

Hmm... so I have the suspension set at low. At least a few times a day, I would hear the distinct air compressor (for suspension) kicks in (kinda like a whistle) for like a second or so while driving. Note this is in addition to specific GPS based suspension raise.

I always took this behavior as normal, but now I am not so sure any more...

If the compressor is coming on, it's usually staying on for 1-2 minutes to get back up to 150 psi in the tank. The sound you're describing is a distribution block valve opening to flow air to individual corners. This is normal behavior (auto leveling) unless it's deflating overnight and having to totally re-raise a corner in the morning.

Reactions: paulchou