Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air suspension doesn't feel like air?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

So I thought that the air suspension was supposed to be a smoother ride vs. the coils? For some reason, it feels like the air suspension on my Sept. delivered X rides a lot harder than my Model S which had coils. Anyone else experience something similar?

I felt a definite difference between the Model S I had as a loaner with the low profile wheels and presumably coil suspension. I have 20" wheels and the ride to me feels fantastic in the X. Sure, rougher pavement might get a bit bumpy, but it seems pretty good to me *shrug*.

Reactions: vrykolas
I felt a definite difference between the Model S I had as a loaner with the low profile wheels and presumably coil suspension. I have 20" wheels and the ride to me feels fantastic in the X. Sure, rougher pavement might get a bit bumpy, but it seems pretty good to me *shrug*.

Ok, just seems like I feel every pebble I run over. I also drive in the I-580 express lane on the freeway here in CA and I even feel the words written in the express lane.

• Funny
Reactions: FlyF4
I just upgraded from a coil equipped to an air Model s with same wheels, and the air suspension feels a bit smoother at absorbing bumps. But overall it feels quite similar. The main benefit of the air suspension is to lift the car for clearing curbs and hilly driveways. I think any perceived ride quality difference is subtle and secondary.

I've said this before in other threads but I too have noticed a difference between the S's ride and the X's. The S is both more planted (less body roll) and smoother at the same time (Yes, both had the air suspension). Likely due to it's less weight and lower center of gravity.

I agree it would be great to get the X to ride and handle the same but physics may not allow that.

That being said. I like the sporty nature of the X!

Maybe the firmer ride on the X is because it is a heavier vehicle, is expected to carry heavier loads, and is configured for towing up to 5,000 lbs.
I believe the wheels are also constructed heavier and sturdier than the S.

I love the firm and well planted suspension on my X. Feel that they got it just right. Saw others in previous forum posts complaining that the air suspension in the S gave them a floaty feeling. X feels more BMW than Buick.

After paying more attention, I have to say the ride is not quite as smooth as I originally indicated. It's still pretty good, especially at slower speeds. I think high-speed compression is not it's strong suit. That said, I'm still very satisfied with the ride.

As far as smoothness...
Because of it's low mass (low inertia), Air suspension is of primary benefit in filtering out high frequency road noise.
Coils transmit these high frequency vibrations to the chassis more readily.