Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension for MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all! I see there has been a little bit of discussion on aftermarket air suspension for the Model Y, but not a ton of pics and examples. If you have air suspension in your Model Y, can you post up some pics of your setup here? Trying to figure out where I want to put my tank, compressor(s), and my management. Looks like most people put it in the frunk, but I was considering putting it in that nice large space under the floor in the hatch area. I am doing an AirLift 3P system, 4 gallon tank, Viair 444c...etc...with Air Demand bags/struts/shocks. Planning out my system now and want to put it in a good spot. Anyways! Let's see those air setups!!

Every Y or 3 I've come across have their system in the Frunk section. If you have IG there are a few MY owners that are bagged. On top of my head Nicetesla, Rogue_leader_myp, my.carly, nehemias_bagged_myp.
Yeah, I agree, I have really only seen them in the frunk. Trying to be a little different. I like the idea of it in the hatch as it won't have to come out for any sort of service. Looking for pics of setups either way though.

Reactions: tm1v2 and chump408
I wonder if the deep trunk cover in the back is a better sound deadener than the sheet metal firewall at the front? Or is it just distance that makes it seem quieter?

Off topic:

Does the "firewall" on an EV even need to be sheet metal? You could have structural cross brasses and a plastic / fiber board bulkhead there instead for sound deadening and reduced weight... it isn't like the funk contents are going to burst into flames and endanger the driver and passengers right?

Keith

Reactions: jonzcfo

Off topic:

Does the "firewall" on an EV even need to be sheet metal? You could have structural cross brasses and a plastic / fiber board bulkhead there instead for sound deadening and reduced weight... it isn't like the funk contents are going to burst into flames and endanger the driver and passengers right?

Keith
View Munro Live YouTube channel where they compare the evolution of model y giga casting methodologies. Sandy comments and we see The model y body which uses the structural body battery pack filled with 4680 battery cells has no firewall. Currently this is the Austin built model y standard range which is only offerred by tesla calling people in nearby states.

• Informative
Reactions: Fourdoor
View Munro Live YouTube channel where they compare the evolution of model y giga casting methodologies. Sandy comments and we see The model y body which uses the structural body battery pack filled with 4680 battery cells has no firewall. Currently this is the Austin built model y standard range which is only offerred by tesla calling people in nearby states.

They have a plastic partition now and most automakers call it something else. Apparently "fire" is a bad word. There has to be something there or Tesla's wouldn't float or be able to keep moisture or smog/smoke out. It's just not structural or fireproof metal.

to get back on topic, I’m also curious on why no one installs it in the lower trunk? I’m sure if you install it there and put the compressor on an isolator mount, the noise will be minimal! Look up i1tesla’s model Y and that isolator made such a big difference in noise! I’m also thinking that since it will be in the trunk, the lines will be run inside thus not having to worry about freezing lines in the winter? Lastly, I’m thinking if tesla service needs to access/service the car’s electronics, wouldn’t they take out the frunk more than the lower trunk?

Honestly I would love someone’s opinion on this as I’m new to this stuff and I want to install air, but would love the use of my frunk!

to get back on topic, I’m also curious on why no one installs it in the lower trunk? I’m sure if you install it there and put the compressor on an isolator mount, the noise will be minimal! Look up i1tesla’s model Y and that isolator made such a big difference in noise! I’m also thinking that since it will be in the trunk, the lines will be run inside thus not having to worry about freezing lines in the winter? Lastly, I’m thinking if tesla service needs to access/service the car’s electronics, wouldn’t they take out the frunk more than the lower trunk?

Honestly I would love someone’s opinion on this as I’m new to this stuff and I want to install air, but would love the use of my frunk!
I mounted mine in the trunk instead of the frunk...

Attachments

• IMG_0049.jpg
    IMG_0049.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 779
  • Love
Reactions: jsight and jpy1980
Hey guys,
Quick question.

What are you guys paying in regards to labor costs to install these kits?

I’ve been getting quoted about 1000-1300 for labor and a 2-5 day turnaround.

I then contacted unplugged Performance since they were very familiar with air ride, and they quoted me $8000-$12000 for labor to install an airlift kit on my model y. I doubt this is normal or is that what you guys are paying?

• Informative
Reactions: jsight
Hey guys,
Quick question.

I then contacted unplugged Performance since they were very familiar with air ride, and they quoted me $8000-$12000 for labor to install an airlift kit on my model y. I doubt this is normal or is that what you guys are paying?
UPP and TSportline are way overpriced

Finally! someone did it in the trunk (thats what she said) haha

How is the noise when the compressor comes on? Also, what is your tank size? Seems small? does the compressor come on a lot?
So I have my compressor on isolators, and mounted to a plate that is somewhat isolated. On top of that, the cover/floor of the trunk covers it all and is carpeted...SOOOOOO, the noise is super minimal. You can barely hear it from inside or outside.

It is a 3 gallon tank. I have had zero issues. It goes from aired out to monster truck on the one full tank with no issues. I don't air out often, so I never run into issues daily. The 4 gallon I had was a tad too long...it was as long as the opening was wide pretty much. It would have worked, but I would have had to make the plumbing a little funky. This worked really well.

Hey guys,
Quick question.

$0...I did it all myself.

Why is Unplugged familiar with air suspension on the Tesla's? They don't have an air suspension kit...