Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air suspension height adjustment using scroll wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, new MS 100D owner here and I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to customize the dashboard and configure the scroll wheel (e.g. adjust air suspension height). As much as I appreciate the auto-save GPS detection suspension height, I find myself making manual adjustments on the fly quite frequently. I live in an area with many winding roads so I tend to manually switch between the low and standard height rather than relying on the automatic lowering by MPH speed function. I tried looking through older S/X posts but couldn't find a definitive answer so any help would be greatly appreciated. That being said, do you guys prefer driving in standard or low on highway speeds between 70-80mph? My concerns for keeping the car in the low setting have more to do with maximizing tire life than increased potential for wheel damage from potholes. I suppose the road conditions and driving characteristics have much to do with one's suspension preference, but I digress.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
It's not currently one of the options you can set the right scroll wheel to but that is a damn good idea. I personally don't like any of the current options and basically don't even know what my cars have the right scroll wheel set to. I think most are the temperature but that's just as easy to bump the up/down arrow on the display that is always present. I don't like the "smart" aspect of the air suspension and would MUCH rather it were like the new folding mirrors option that gave you the option to remember versus forcing you to forget each time like the suspension does. In my experience the GPS memory of saved locations isn't exact/consistent enough so the behavior isn't what I'd like. For me, I end up having to press several options on the screen to execute a single suspension raise which can be nerve racking during pressure filled situations when you just need to raise height real quick. This would be SO much better to have that right scroll wheel be an option that manually adjusts up and then down w/o the need to cancel out of remembering it next time. This is the perfect use for that scroll wheel and someone at Tesla needs to make that happen IMO.

Reactions: EVortex
I often accidentally scroll the right dial ( for me raises temp or activates HVAC if off). I don't have SAS but I wouldn't like accidentally raising or lowering my suspension.
Then don't set it to the suspension option. Problem solved. Not sure how to react someone not wanting to add more features/options to these cars because of their own clumsiness.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Then don't set it to the suspension option. Problem solved. Not sure how to react someone not wanting to add more features/options to these cars because of their own clumsiness.

I wasn't saying don't have the option. Sheesh. Try not posting in DEFCON 1 all the time. You're always jumping down everyone's throats.

I was just pointing out a limitation I've found with steering control.

I wasn't saying don't have the option. Sheesh. Try not posting in DEFCON 1 all the time. You're always jumping down everyone's throats.

DEFCON 1 he says. ROFL

Your "limitation with steering control" is your own clumsiness and NOT something that should prevent Tesla from adding new options to an already existing feature.

Your post is useless to this topic.

It would be great to have quick / easy adjustment to height. Hopefully not through clumsiness, but when I switch vehicles or re-config control functions it is possible to hit the wrong thing.

But it would be dead easy to make it a two step control like set height then press within 3 secs to acknowledge. Press once and current height flashes. Adjust and flashing display shows new height. Press to confirm or leave to time out. Also having a height setting displayed on IC would be a sensible precaution and reminder.

It doesn't do that already, does it? Can't say I've noticed but seems like a dead obvious feature especially with GPS based adjustment so you know if it is at the required height.

Do the highest settings limit torque to avoid damage?

That being said, do you guys prefer driving in standard or low on highway speeds between 70-80mph? My concerns for keeping the car in the low setting have more to do with maximizing tire life than increased potential for wheel damage from potholes. I suppose the road conditions and driving characteristics have much to do with one's suspension preference, but I digress.

I drive in low 99% of the time; just adjust for parking lot entrances etc. And my worn out MXM4's are mint. Very even wear across the tread. I am down to 3/32" and will be replacing soon. Very happy with the wear of these tires on this car. I hope I don't regret not getting them again, but I will try to see if the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

What would be nice (and on my wish list) is to adjust the suspension with voice control. If you ask the car to adjust the suspension height it replies "not available YET" I hope that is sign of things to come.

Reactions: Wol747
It would be great to have quick / easy adjustment to height. Hopefully not through clumsiness, but when I switch vehicles or re-config control functions it is possible to hit the wrong thing.

But it would be dead easy to make it a two step control like set height then press within 3 secs to acknowledge. Press once and current height flashes. Adjust and flashing display shows new height. Press to confirm or leave to time out. Also having a height setting displayed on IC would be a sensible precaution and reminder.

It doesn't do that already, does it? Can't say I've noticed but seems like a dead obvious feature especially with GPS based adjustment so you know if it is at the required height.

Do the highest settings limit torque to avoid damage?
No, there is no sort of visual indication bubble that pops up on the main screen notifying you of suspension changes. This has been one of my annoyances with the "smart" air suspension and it's inability to pinpoint exact GPS coordinates for changes. I would much rather this be a manual opt-in for automation than a required opt-out with a time limit to avoid said automation. This is the same way they implemented the smart folding mirrors location deal and it's a far better solution to the car just automatically doing it every time where it thinks you want to do it and you have to hurry up and stumble your way through the menu in less than 3 seconds to tell it to ignore that for next time.

Reactions: Bixby MS
You must be replying to someone that I put on my ignore list since I didn't see their post. :D I guess you just confirmed why I ignored them in the first place.

OP, in my 3-4 years of owning the car, I rarely change the suspension at all. I keep it in normal setting and if I do change it, I go to high setting to get over a rough gravel entrance road to my sister's home.

Reactions: croman
No, there is no sort of visual indication bubble that pops up on the main screen notifying you of suspension changes. This has been one of my annoyances with the "smart" air suspension and it's inability to pinpoint exact GPS coordinates for changes. I would much rather this be a manual opt-in for automation than a required opt-out with a time limit to avoid said automation. This is the same way they implemented the smart folding mirrors location deal and it's a far better solution to the car just automatically doing it every time where it thinks you want to do it and you have to hurry up and stumble your way through the menu in less than 3 seconds to tell it to ignore that for next time.
I wonder if Tesla's decision not to implement it as a quick scroll menu option is more for security measures rather than a lack of programming by the engineers.

I drive in low 99% of the time; just adjust for parking lot entrances etc. And my worn out MXM4's are mint. Very even wear across the tread. I am down to 3/32" and will be replacing soon. Very happy with the wear of these tires on this car. I hope I don't regret not getting them again, but I will try to see if the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

What would be nice (and on my wish list) is to adjust the suspension with voice control. If you ask the car to adjust the suspension height it replies "not available YET" I hope that is sign of things to come.
Yeah exactly, finger scroll or voice command.