TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Air Suspension Height Difference

Discussion in 'Model S' started by SteveLas, Nov 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. SteveLas

SteveLas New Member

Surprisingly, I couldn't find any specs on the difference in the air suspension.
    What is the standard height of a model S 90D if it makes a difference?
    I'm debating the value of the 2,500. I live in Seattle, so not much snow other than the mountains for skiing.
    If it's only an inch difference...
    steve

2. ZAKEEUS

ZAKEEUS Member

• Informative x 2
  3. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

If you don't have lots of super high curbs or mountainous and rugged roads, you won't need AS. Though the ride is a bit smoother. I got it because I need it for those roads. I love it.

4. wesley888

wesley888 Member

Does the extra 1" really that useful? I got the air suspension as well, but didn't know it only get 1" higher.

5. sorka

sorka Active Member

Air springs only provide linear spring rates while good coils will progress or transition to a higher springrate at higher deflections. This is why a good coil can provide a smooth comfortable ride but still contribute to anti roll in a corner once the spring compresses past a certain point. Air springs can't do this unless their dynamically controlled dozens or more times a second by pumping air into or out of the units. The air springs on the MS only adjust for load, they do not dynamically adjust as you go around corners.

Here's a good article discussion progressive vs linear:

Linear vs Progressive Rate Suspension Springs / Motorsports Performance Handbook