Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air suspension height?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know roughly what the distance from the ground to the bottom of the wheel well lip should be at Standard height?

My X looks higher to me in all settings all of the sudden. Curious what others measure at. Mine is approx 32.5" in the rear and 31.75" in the front.

Ok so what happens if my left front is 31 1/4 but my right front is 30 1/4 after being parked for a day or so?

I measured because if you stand directly behind the centerline of the car it looks like it's 'leaning' to the right about a degree.

Is my air suspension failing?

I did hear a mysterious compressor sound (in fact it sounded like it was coming from the right front come to think of it, but I don't know if the location of the *sound* is relevant) for five or ten seconds immediately upon waking up the car a few weeks ago.

Best steps to diagnose?

Ok so what happens if my left front is 31 1/4 but my right front is 30 1/4 after being parked for a day or so?

I measured because if you stand directly behind the centerline of the car it looks like it's 'leaning' to the right about a degree.

Is my air suspension failing?

I did hear a mysterious compressor sound (in fact it sounded like it was coming from the right front come to think of it, but I don't know if the location of the *sound* is relevant) for five or ten seconds immediately upon waking up the car a few weeks ago.

Best steps to diagnose?
AFAIK, "all air suspensions leak."

Assuming that is true, I'm not sure what you could diagnose, and you might be hard pressed to get this fixed prior to failure so long as the suspension levels out when you drive it.

In this scenario, if you go for a drive and confirm the issue still exists immediately after parking, then you would have a failure that needs diagnosed. At that point, I'd suspect a ride height sensor, and the front ones are visible without taking off the wheels, so a visual inspection would be the first step.

For perspective, when having my air suspension compressor evaluated because it failed during a mobile service visit, the tech told me to call roadside because it would likely be slammed to the ground and undrivable by the next morning due to normal leaking. I asked the tech if I could manually add air and he indicated I couldn't, something about the entire system shutting down and valves not allowing air into the suspension regardless of how much air was in the tank. While that does make it sound like you should get re-leveled over the course of a day, it doesn't indicate how often, and finding yourself re-leveled after a drive would still imply everything is working.

Reactions: Harvey Danger