Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension Longevity and Frequency of Use

Frequent changing of ride height good or bad for longevity?

• Bad - settle down there johnny

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Good - jack away

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Doesn't matter either way

Votes: 24 70.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be getting a 2013 P85 CPO w/ the "active air suspension" will I be able to raise and lower my MS? Or is it all controlled by the computer?

It's also "active" in the sense it controls itself, in addition to your commands on the screen.

1. car will actively lower the ride height when certain speed thresholds are met... It will lower from "very high" to "high" first, when you get beyond "parking lot speeds". Then if you keep it up it will lower from "high" to "standard" when you hit street speed.

2. car will not ever raise itself from any setting, unless you tell it from the console first. And when you do, it becomes active in the sense that it remembers where you raised it so next time you're in the area (GPS remembers) the car WILL raise again to the non-standard height you picked there last time. So long as you're not exceeding the speed thresholds of (1).

3. you get to choose a "low" speed threshold as a setting.. for fast highway driving. At that speed, whenever you trip it, the car lowers itself. The places where this happens are NOT geo-located or remembered... so next time if you're driving through at sane speed the car will not lower itself.

4. finally, where you want to be "active" on the UI... punch any height you want and the car will do it... if the speed thresholds of item (1) are being exceeded, car will tell you that height is not available (greys it out on the UI I think, or a message).

Last edited:
Air suspension systems all fail eventually, often well before the end of the car's lifespan otherwise. You see a fair number of older Range Rovers sitting crooked on the road. Porsche Cayenne air suspensions, Mercedes; they all frequently fail given a few years and miles.

One problem is that every time the air is compressed, moisture precipitates in the system (it may be less of a problem in very dry climates). That moisture can cause failure of metal parts in the system, and the rubber parts wear out as well.

I'm sure Tesla uses the same components as these other manufacturers. Just be aware that if you hold on to your car long term, you may want to budget a big repair bill when (not if) the system fails.

• Informative
Reactions: cheshire cat
Air suspension systems all fail eventually, often well before the end of the car's lifespan otherwise. You see a fair number of older Range Rovers sitting crooked on the road. Porsche Cayenne air suspensions, Mercedes; they all frequently fail given a few years and miles.

One problem is that every time the air is compressed, moisture precipitates in the system (it may be less of a problem in very dry climates). That moisture can cause failure of metal parts in the system, and the rubber parts wear out as well.

I'm sure Tesla uses the same components as these other manufacturers. Just be aware that if you hold on to your car long term, you may want to budget a big repair bill when (not if) the system fails.

@CAF after 4 years of membership on this forum and this being your first and only post to date... please tell us how your air suspension is holding up in your model S. I'd say the "few years and miles" threshold has been crossed with your car. Still doing fine?

Please look again. And update this thread.
There you go. See the Firestone logo in the middle of the bottom sticker?
Car produced last week in December 2016, VIN indicates model year 2017 (code H)

Attachments

• DSC_1293.JPG
    DSC_1293.JPG
    272.6 KB · Views: 164
  • Informative
Reactions: cheshire cat
@CAF after 4 years of membership on this forum and this being your first and only post to date... please tell us how your air suspension is holding up in your model S. I'd say the "few years and miles" threshold has been crossed with your car. Still doing fine?

Ha, you're quite right of course. No one with one post could possibly know anything about air suspension longevity. Clearly, with your 1491 posts, your knowledge is more than a thousand fold deeper!

Anyway, we don't know yet the long term durability of the Tesla air suspension system as the cars simply aren't old enough. The best we can do is extrapolate from similar systems on vehicles that have been out on the road for 6-10 years. Even making that comparison is difficult as the systems have hopefully evolved and improved over that time.

Regardless, I always go with the philosophy of "Enjoy the car first". Be aware of potential weak spots in design, but don't let that interfere with your enjoyment. I ordered our S with the standard suspension, but I did that mostly because I preferred the road feel. I certainly would advise most people to go with the air suspension if they like it. Chances are most people won't have the car long enough that long term reliability gets tested.

Reactions: William3
There you go. See the Firestone logo in the middle of the bottom sticker?
Car produced last week in December 2016, VIN indicates model year 2017 (code H)

Yes, Firestone indeed! The air position sensors on my older car say Continental on them. I haven't really looked at the pistons themselves, but will. Maybe they are Firestone too... and Continental is supplying only the electronics.

Ha, you're quite right of course. No one with one post could possibly know anything about air suspension longevity. Clearly, with your 1491 posts, your knowledge is more than a thousand fold deeper!

Anyway, we don't know yet the long term durability of the Tesla air suspension system as the cars simply aren't old enough. The best we can do is extrapolate from similar systems on vehicles that have been out on the road for 6-10 years. Even making that comparison is difficult as the systems have hopefully evolved and improved over that time.

Regardless, I always go with the philosophy of "Enjoy the car first". Be aware of potential weak spots in design, but don't let that interfere with your enjoyment. I ordered our S with the standard suspension, but I did that mostly because I preferred the road feel. I certainly would advise most people to go with the air suspension if they like it. Chances are most people won't have the car long enough that long term reliability gets tested.

I think because Tesla is not making the air suspension parts themselves (and only the user interface for adjusting them...) that reliability and longevity questions of the working parts can safely be pushed onto the makers of these parts and by looking at other similar cars that use them.

There must be lots of data on other car makes using same suppliers for air suspension parts... and would be a safe leap or extrapolation onto how well they'll hold up on Tesla as being "similar". Maybe the heaviness of Teslas warps the comparison so maybe we should compare only to the heaviest of cars and SUVs that use similar make air parts.

All I know from experience is that the air suspension has gotten me to the end of my warranty period without a hitch... so it's good for at least that long. I bought the car knowing this would be a maintenance part with a heavy price tag some day if/when they need replacement while I'm still owning the car. And I have a long term "hold" position on the car to use it up... so... you're right, time will tell!