Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension Longevity and Frequency of Use

Frequent changing of ride height good or bad for longevity?

• Bad - settle down there johnny

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Good - jack away

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Doesn't matter either way

Votes: 24 70.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

We are new to the Tesla word and just got a used 2012 P85 with air suspension. Am really enjoying this feature and am pretty much raising it anywhere we go where there are high curbs or we go frequently and a little extra height is nice for ingress/egress.

Is there any info out there about longevity and frequency of using the ride height function? Is using it a lot bad or does it help? Sometimes its better to use things than let them sit static,

I searched for a bit but had trouble finding any info on this...feedback is appreciated.

Just saw the poll feature - thought I'd try it

The air suspension compressor is always working in the background making minor adjustments each time you get in the car and drive. For example if you are alone versus with passengers and luggage the system will make adjustments. When you get out of the car sometimes it adjust again. Even when you drive, if your passengers in the rear shift their weight from side to side it will make an adjustment to be level. IMHO your frequent use of this feature will not make much of a difference.

Once the newness wears off you will probably get bored of accessing the touch screen and jacking up the car, and chance it bottoming out; don't forget your battery is protected by a "ballistics grade" aluminum shield on the bottom of the car and a titanium shield protecting the front of the battery.

• Informative
Reactions: sdorn and Andyw2100
Based on my other cars that had air suspensions, the only part or component that wore out was the rubber bag or bladder. Either due to age or use, the rubber developed a crack or small hole that caused the air to leak out while parked for more than an hour. Once I started the ICE car up, the compressor filled the bag/bladder & kept if full until the car was shut off. So there are potential mechanical issues that can fail (compressor, wiring, etc) but my only problem was one bag/bladder leaking.

A similar air strut design was / is used by Mercedes with many bladder or seal failures. I hope the design used in our Teslas is a better quality design. No problems yet; knock on Aluminum. Well, I did have "Suspension needs Service" messages last week but that was due to a failed ground stud.

After 15 months, 19k miles and daily use front air suspension collapsed, during driving, leaving me stranded. The problem was front left shock absorber failure. The service centre was very quick in fix it but the recovery experience wasn't so pleasant. I think Tesla should improve the air suspension in such a way to prevent being stranded in case of total failure.
I will still order the car with the air suspension. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
After 15 months, 19k miles and daily use front air suspension collapsed, during driving, leaving me stranded. The problem was front left shock absorber failure. The service centre was very quick in fix it but the recovery experience wasn't so pleasant. I think Tesla should improve the air suspension in such a way to prevent being stranded in case of total failure.
I will still order the car with the air suspension. ;)

Did the wheel "bottom out" (rise up) into the car when the corner collapsed? Like, was the body rubbing on rubber, or worse, bent the metal?

Don't forget it is GPS aware, so whenever you go back to a place where you raised it, the car will remember and raise it automatically. There is a way to make it "forget" a location if it gets too annoying.
4 yrs no problems with my suspension.

The way I make it forget is to press "standard height" at the same spot where the auto-raise just happened.

Next time you drive through that zone, it won't auto-raise.

And of course if you blow through an auto-raise zone at speed... nothing happens because the car is going too fast and it trips on the upper speed limit for the given ride height and just won't do it.