Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension Low Setting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my Model S and noticed that the low setting on the air suspension is barely any different from the standard ride height.

I remember when the first Model S caught fire due to road debris puncturing the battery pack, Tesla pushed a software update to increase the minimum height in the low setting. Was this change ever reverted back after Tesla started adding the titanium shield to protect the battery?

I wouldn't recommend using low unless you are traveling at speeds greater than about 80mph, that is what I have mine set to on my car. Why? Because there really isn't any benefit at slower speeds and two, I don't want to my car to eat through tires. It will do that fast enough and keeping it low will only accelerate the wear.

I wouldn't recommend using low unless you are traveling at speeds greater than about 80mph, that is what I have mine set to on my car. Why? Because there really isn't any benefit at slower speeds and two, I don't want to my car to eat through tires. It will do that fast enough and keeping it low will only accelerate the wear.

Funny - I only use low for "show". Meaning I like the look of the stance of the car with a lowered suspension so sometimes when I park, I may put it in low. However when I drive, it is on the normal level setting. Thus I get the even tire wear and no measurable loss in mileage plus more clearance from road debris I suppose. Too bad they don't have an automatic software setting for this "vain suspension mode"?

Yep, I am aware of the premature tire wear due to the negative camber issue in the low setting. I too like the lowered stance when parked.

The original post was really asking if the low setting of the air suspension was initially lower than it is today. Maybe someone who has owned a Model S back when the road debris/titanium shield fisco was going on can weigh in.

Reactions: JohnnyG