Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension needs service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked my car from SC this past Thursday and got software update Friday night. Today, after I parked running some errands a "suspension needs service" brielfly flashed over the screen and disappeared. Parked a few more times after that and didn't see it again. So what's the consensus on this? Call SC or not?

In my situation, when I had the warning, I couldn't adjust the suspension. Everything was grayed-out if I recall correctly. Software glitch or no, it can prevent you from using it.

Also, the 2nd time I had this issue, the compressor was making a loud noise (re-pressurizing system?) so it may have been hardware related that time. Also, it took longer for the message to go away (~20 minutes vs ~5 minutes the first time).

Just another data point...

Have 2016MS 70d with same message and have been unable to clear after several reboots. As I'm 150 miles from home on vacation the SC is sending loaner on flatbed to retrieve car. They do NOT want me to highway drive it back. I agreed.
If it doesn't clear up on it's own (or with a reboot), maybe you have a legitimate suspension issue (first one I've heard about).

I received my brand new X100D yesterday.

After 50 miles, I charged it last night. Then this morning I saw "Air Suspension needs service - Contact Tesla Service" message on my dashboard.

Started the car (without driving the car), the message went away. I played around the air suspension setting. It seems to work fine.

Then in the afternoon after charging, saw the same message again. repeated the same step described above, the message went away again. I immediately changed the air suspension setting to "Standard" and disable "automatically lower suspense at XX speed to "NEVER"". Drove 30 miles afterward. No message. Everything seems to work fine.

Contacted my delivery manager and waiting for response.

Did anyone experience this?

Thanks
What version of firmware? If it is 17.24.28, then this is a false alarm.

My 1 week old MS just did this too, yesterday. Called and they had me do a screen reboot and a dash reboot, neither fixed it.

Later in the day it seemed to fix itself and be fine all afternoon. o_O

Tesla called me back and they didn't find anything OTA, but want me to bring the car down to have it physically checked on Friday.

I have had 3 such incidents (air suspension needs service) occur and in my case all three appear to have been software issues, even though I wasn't able to raise/or lower suspension for a brief period of time (10-30 minutes).

The first time I had this issue, I heard some really bad noises from the suspension pump, so I was convinced it was a hardware issue, but it's been almost a year since that happened, and my suspension has actually been fine. YMMV

It appears I got the real message as I took it into the Santa Barbara SC and they had to order a part. Part ordered on Monday, arriving Wednesday. After getting the message, doing all of the rebooting, etc. it did go away after driving a few miles, but I took it in any way. That turned out to be the right decision. Software v 50.3.

My model S is 6 months old I've had the problem intermittently for past 3 months. A full reboot has previously fixed it. After the past 10 days spending half an hour each time trying to get through to support unsuccessfully I do the full reboot and clear up. In my instance I've noticed that despite the reboot Clearing the fault message the actual fault is still there. I know this as when I hit potholes it bottoms out! Not great for a new car. I therefore have to be very careful despite the suspension displaying high. This is definitely a hardware problem.
For me however the most frustrating part of all this is being able to get a response from a SC. Let's see what Monday brings....

Had the same message after 6 months. Got through to support and they saw the logs and made an appointment in Santa Barbara SC for that same day. The message did go away after driving around a bit, but SC replaced a valve that took 2 days to obtain. Got a loaner. Now all is good.

It seems that support in the USA is much better than in Europe as far as getting through to them by phone and getting appointments. Hope that changes.

My 2017 MS with 10,100 files had a major suspension failure this week. Due to a leaky air spring module, the air compressor failed and the car suspension dropped very low. I was only a few miles from the service center at 5:00 p.m. and drove in. They gave me a 2018 MS loaner and called me the next day that the car was fixed. They replaced the air spring module and the air compressor. The service advisor was very professional and helpful. In my opinion. Tesla gets an A++.