Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension no longer lowers at highway speeds (FW update v5.8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO Tesla has decided to make this change to work out the situation with NHTSA. I think that for the time being it will work. It's a change that can be done via firmware and is almost costless. I am sure that in the future Tesla will make some structural changes to the Model S that will improve also the performance and handling of the Model S allowing again the air suspension to lower at high speeds.

This does suggest a 'quick fix' to the concern about clearance being reduced automatically at highway speeds/debris damage. I suspect that we will see an option (5.9?) that will allow one to either leave the air suspension changes in 'auto adjust' mode or a manual adjustment that maintains the height you set. Once you 'turn off' the car it will go back to 'auto mode' and you will have to manually request a certain height each time you start out. I believe the blog will come out after everyone has received 5.8 and/or there is a statement by the NHTSB about the latest incident.

I find this conclusion dangerous.

Road debris isn't always shorter than the Medium setting on the Model S.

yes, but now since MS isn't "one of the lowest" on the road, we are LESS likely to be an unwilling "road sweeper"

can an we please have additional people confirm the behavior of "low" lock-out above 60mph? I don't have 5.8 yet... Zzzzz

1). Is this really happening now above 60mph? Please weigh in, Peeps. Gracias

2). Can you "force it" to "low" if you want above 60mph? On an open road with clear visibility and little traffic I want the option to set it to low...

Wait a second. One owner, on Facebook, no link?
What about some other reports from 5.8 users?
Why isn't this in the release notes?

I thought others already confirmed it. Whether it am be overridden by selecting low while driving at speed is still a question. I can't install until I get home later (it's downloaded and waiting for me to trigger the install).

Edit: just saw Zex's post. So confirmed it doesn't lower any more. Confirmed it can't be overridden at highway speeds. Question whether it can be set to low at lower speeds still.

Huzzah. Tesla heard our concerns. Let's see if the Wh/mile numbers worsen slightly (always tough to ascribe any change to one particular reason though).

Cars without air suspension are already driving at this height on the highway, as they do not the ability to automatically lower themselves. I don't recall ever reading that the choice to take air suspension or not has any influence on range.

Darn, and I got mine today, and already updated to 5.8.
No wonder virtually everyone is getting this update.

Had I read this two hours ago, I would have held off.
Being able to select the lowering option in next rev, is something I would definitely want.