Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension no longer lowers at highway speeds (FW update v5.8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Calming down media yes, but upsetting owners in the process? I suspect that, as has happened before, for many folks it's not what Tesla has done but what they haven't done in terms of communications.

Agree Nigel. But to this concern I would like to say let's wait for the Elon's blog. I am sure that he will also mention how much time this "quick fix" change will last.

The car still raises for snow, driveways and has the softer ride than standard suspension. It's not like this update took that away. Maybe waiting on word from Tesla about removal of low setting might be worthwhile before demanding money back. It may come back after Tesla has had time to evaluate the fires.

Lowering improved range and handling.

Lowering actually gives it a stiffer ride at speed than standard suspension.

The car is not any more what it was when sold. If this is permanent I will ask for a partial refund.

I already sent an email to ownership.

This is uncalled for. No notification, no warning. Just the change.

Sorry, I don't spend $100k on a car for the manufacture to make changes to features on my car I paid for.

Very disappointing and unprofessional.

Extremely poor communication.

I agree, especially since Elon says there is no need for a recall. Pick one story and stick to it.

@Kaivball

Then you should be happy. If you had a normal ICE car having this trouble your car should have undergone a recall. On the contrary, only TEMPORARILY IMO, this problem has been fixed via firmware.
To this concern I would like to add that IMO the full air suspensions functionality will be reestablished in the long term. If this was not the case then you could complain with Tesla IMO.

Brian,

Thanks for the heads up on the 60 amp nag message being gone. I'm still stuck on 4.x and have been looking forward to loosing the Vampire.

I get a bunch of stuff I want with the new update (allowed for tonight after some thought) and say goodbye to speed lowering. I'm getting ready to test saying goodbye to air altogether so having it locked at Standard will actually help if Tesla will not disable the air for me.

As for how Tesla is handling this, they are damned if they do and damned if they do not. The stock it probably speaks louder than anyone pissed over loosing lowering.

BTW, does the TPMS reset address turning off errors when pressures are restored or changing out tires/rims for other sensors and having the car marry to them?

How many inches does the car go down on low mode? Is it significant enough to have prevented the fires? (Disclaimer: I am assuming the change tesla made was a)intentional and b) in response to the fires)

Yes! IMO the two cars on the highway would've cleared the trailer hitches (road debris). This quick/easy change TM is making with 5.8 prevents our car from being one of the lowest cars on the road. In other words, we are less likely to strike trailer hitches and other debris that is 5" tall. It's now more likely some other low cars on the road will hit the debris before we do and it'll get removed from the road.

I support this this immediate change. I'm hoping TM Mgmt allows us to set car to "low" at high speed but I feel it's important that we be patient for this option.

You'd be surprised how hard it is to change a string in software sometimes. Especially when it has to be translated for different market languages.

LOL, the release notes are almost certainly a rich text file of some sort (HTML?) with associated graphics files, not strings buried on line 5319 of an include file somewhere. Not that that'd be difficult either--tedious, yes, but not hard.

Anyway, they could've updated some languages and not others, but you make a good point that they may have chosen not to, versus just not thinking of it. IMHO that'd be a mistake, but unsurprising.

- - - Updated - - -

I've had good experience with the service center remembering and respecting my requests like this.

Case in point:
I still have the original vents. Every time there is a new set of fixes available, one of the comments in the conversation before I even speak is "... and I presume you want to keep the original vents still."

Thanks, that's very good to hear!

- - - Updated - - -

Very good question. Probably not as long as IE6.

LOL...OMG we have paying customers using IE 6...still!

Lowering improved range and handling.

Lowering actually gives it a stiffer ride at speed than standard suspension.

The car is not any more what it was when sold. If this is permanent I will ask for a partial refund.

+1. The lack of communication here was particularly uncalled for. I knew there was something fishy going on when the pace of the rollout was aggressively accelerated yesterday. I will be contacting TM regarding this change on Monday. Not cool.

For now I would give Tesla and Elon the benefit of the doubt until early next week with the expectation there will be more information by then.
It is easy to over react. What would everyone's reaction be if turns out they had two options? Recall or lose lowering. Do I believe that happened, no
but I've learned over the years that patience often times pays off.

LOL, the release notes are almost certainly a rich text file of some sort (HTML?) with associated graphics files, not strings buried on line 5319 of an include file somewhere. Not that that'd be difficult either--tedious, yes, but not hard.

Anyway, they could've updated some languages and not others, but you make a good point that they may have chosen not to, versus just not thinking of it. IMHO that'd be a mistake, but unsurprising.
I'm talking about those "simple" HTML changes too. At some point, release management becomes about saying no to any change -- no matter how "trivial".

Agree Nigel. But to this concern I would like to say let's wait for the Elon's blog. I am sure that he will also mention how much time this "quick fix" change will last.

I'm confident he will mention the quick fix, but he may be vague about future plans.

How was it not obvious to them after all this time, that they should've released the blog post at the same time? Okay, I'll stop beating up on them.... ;-)

@Kaivball

Then you should be happy. If you had a normal ICE car having this trouble your car should have undergone a recall. On the contrary, only TEMPORARILY IMO, this problem has been fixed via firmware.
To this concern I would like to add that IMO the full air suspensions functionality will be reestablished in the long term. If this was not the case then you could complain with Tesla IMO.

All my posts have stated "if" this change is permanent.

Absence of any communication or explanation from Tesla on such a material change they only have themselves to blame for rampant speculation.

For now I would give Tesla and Elon the benefit of the doubt until early next week with the expectation there will be more information by then.
It is easy to over react. What would everyone's reaction be if turns out they had two options? Recall or lose lowering. Do I believe that happened, no

It's called COMMUNICATION.

That's what's missing.

This is the downside of having a computer on wheels.

Tesla can materially alter the vehicle after the fact.

This is the whole reason FOR buying a car like this.
Because they can make changes like this.

The car I have today is much improved over the car that was delivered to me over a year ago.

True, I would have preferred more communication before the change was made. But there are many possibilities and getting all worked up over it is silly.

Tesla may have identified a possible issue that will require further study. If, in the meantime, not allowing the car to lower will help reduce the likelihood of another of these accidents, then I am very thankful they could do this so quickly and easily.

Or, it could be lots of other things. But for gods sake, stop hyperventilating and give them a couple of days to let us know what is going on.

I'm talking about those "simple" HTML changes too. At some point, release management becomes about saying no to any change -- no matter how "trivial".

Sure, but that only makes sense if you see these as unrelated changes and/or coming in at different times. IMHO they should've come in together as two parts of one fix. (Key word: "should")

But that gets back to the unknown--was it poor planning or just a (IMHO) bad plan--so, apologies, I think I'm wandering into rehash territory.

+1000!

What's the point of having air suspension when it doesn't work to enhance aesthetics and performance? This was an option that I chose for this purpose as I suspect is the same for many other owners as well. This not only sucks, but it pisses me off......Tesla response?