Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension no longer lowers at highway speeds (FW update v5.8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand the request to make this optional (opt-in).

Is the plan to raise the car if you see an obstacle in front of you?
Or swerve out of the way?
Or is there no debris on the roads you travel?

I can see reasons for making it an opt-in:

- Some people prefer the smoother ride you get in standard setting instead of low setting (in low the suspension has less room to absorb bumps). I've been looking for a way to raise the car when driving on a bad road, but the car didn't allow me to raise it from the automatic low setting. So for me adding the ability for the driver to control the suspension setting at high speed would be an improvement.

- Some people would - in light of the road debris accidents - like the freedom to keep the car in standard position on the highway (but at the same time enjoy the other benefits of air suspension: the smoother ride and the possibility to raise the car for a driveway or other obstacle).

I'm a bit surprised none of the crack journalism outlets hasn't picked up on this release. From their standpoint I would think there would be cries of a Tesla virtual recall. I guess we'll hear nothing from Tesla until it hits the press. Anybody like to wager on when that hit occurs? I would've thought TM would use the weekend to slip out the story.

Just tested 5.8 on the highway. At 160kmh (100mph) the suspension goes into low. It goes back to normal once the speed is below 100kmh (60mph). So the functionality is still there but the speed activating the lowering are much higher now.

Do you have the .24 update or the .22 update. It would be interesting to find out if that is what is in the .24 update that started to get pushed out as well.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think anyone disagrees with that statement.
But jumping to conclusions and lighting the torches and sharpening the pitchforks is also rather ridiculous.

If you don't keep your pitchfork sharp, it wouldn't be ready when you need it! :wink:

Last edited:
Small but increasing number of reports that they are installing 1.49.24 now. Would be useful if someone with .24 can test out the car and just see that the air suspension change continues (I'd do it but my wife is out with the car).

Yes, it does. I couldn't choose Low at highway speeds.

Am installing yet another update now; not sure what this is about:

Firmware 5.8 - Page 20

Got the update notification this morning. Postponed it; sticking with v5.6 for now.

(Anyone with experience of postponing updates? Does it continually have to be postponed or was just that once enough?)

Good question! I also will try staying with 5.6 as long as possible. Hopefully it will not nag me every time I get in the car asking when to install 5.8. That would be annoying but worth it. I have the driveway scrape problem that one poster had. I also do not want any reduction of range. I have very low faith that Tesla will restore the low setting. I have seen too many times where software company updates take away desirable functionality in the name of protecting themselves. Very annoying to take the option away. Why not give us the option of a low setting with a warning similar to when removing traction control currently does!

I will post my results when "postponing" the update over the next few days if it lets me.

See if you can confirm it actually drops down. This might be the glitch that I'm now talking about.
I finally got Youtube to not reject my video (3rd format conversion!). It's not very exciting but you might find it useful. There was at least one location in the trip (maybe 2-3) where the car reported that I successfully (manually) got it to move to Low at speed (70+ or 80+, I forget). I haven't made my way through the video but you're welcome to see if you can find when it goes into low. Pretty early in the video you can see the Very High -> High -> Standard transition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, just tested the Auto Low mode in the car a few minutes ago. Driving an EU version car with firmware version 1.49.24.
Not able to manually select Low when driving at highway speeds, however it selects Auto Low when driving 161 km/h (100 mph) - when slowing down it selects Auto Standard when hitting 100 km/h (62 mph). When driving 161 kmh or more I can manually select standard and then low again. Perhaps it is a part of the German highspeed upgrade package (haven't tested top speed).

After upgrading (from 5.6) the car feels more responsive. Doesn't regret upgrading..

I don't understand the request to make this optional (opt-in).

Is the plan to raise the car if you see an obstacle in front of you?
Or swerve out of the way?
Or is there no debris on the roads you travel?

Because I think this is overblown hysteria and the car is pretty damn safe as is. In 30 years of driving (including cars with ground clearance in the 3" range) road debris had not been an issue and I would prefer to have the range and handling benefits of the car running in low mode. If there is some empirical reasons to eliminate the low mode, then I will listen, but I have not seen that yet and doubt Tesla has enough data to make any actual determination.

The best approach is vigilant driving which will reduce (but not eliminate) the risk of road debris. I think approaches like this quick-fix are counterproductive in that they install a false sense of security.

O

I also happened to be doing some very elementary video analysis/editing/etc. for dashcam video so I happened to have an app handy to do some multi-frame blending. Here are three captures of that video that blend the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd portions of the video into 3 stills. When I click through the three images with Windows Photo Viewer, it's easy to see there are at least 3 levels. I'm surprised it was that clearly visible.

Blend1_00208465.jpg

Blend2_00416972.jpg

Blend3_00625479.jpg

For those complaining about the feature not being there because you paid for it, it's a ridiculous argument. You are still getting the air suspension. As quickly as they delivered this tweak, they can deliver another adjustment.

Actually, no it does not. I paid for an upgrade that allows my car to lower at speed for improved range and handling. Post 5.8 it does not do that anymore. Whether they can put it back is not the issue, of course they can. They need to explain themselves before removing features for which they have specifically charged a fee.