Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension no longer lowers at highway speeds (FW update v5.8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the message I got from the Tesla service advisor, to my query, regarding Smart Air Suspension

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Nov 9, 2013 3:45 PM
Subject: Air Suspension
Also note that the steel spring suspension is the same height as the standard mode of the air suspension

Very High

• Can be selected at speeds below 10 mph (16 km/h).
  • Sets suspension at 1.3 inches (33 mm) higher than Standard.
  • Used to gain extra ground clearance in unusual situations.
  • If selected and vehicle speed exceeds 10 mph (16 km/h), the vehicle automatically
  • lowers to High.
High

• Can be selected at speeds below 19 mph (32 km/h).
  • Sets suspension 1 inch (23 mm) higher than Standard.
  • Used to gain extra ground clearance in parking lots, parking garage ramps, large
  • speed bumps, etc.
  • If selected and vehicle speed exceeds 19 mph, the vehicle automatically lowers to
Standard

• The vehicle automatically levels to the Standard ride height to ensure optimum
  • comfort and handling under all loading conditions (extra passengers, heavy
  • luggage, etc.).
  • This also ensures that the vehicle has the proper ride height under all loading
  • conditions (the rear of the car does not sag down when heavily loaded).
Low

• Automatically lowers the vehicle by 0.75 inch (20 mm) for improved aerodynamics.
  • Lowering starts when vehicle speed is between 60 mph (90 km/h) and 72 mph (115
  • km/h) for more than 30 seconds. When speed increases above 72 mph (115 kph),
  • the vehicle immediately goes to Low level.
  • Can be selected from the touchscreen when parked, for easier loading/unloading
  • of passengers and cargo.
  • If selected when stopped, the vehicle automatically rises to Standard when driven
  • at a speed above 3 mph (6 km/h).

Those are the post v5.6 specs. It used to be v.high up to 8mph, high up to 15mph and low after 55mph IIRC. I'm thinking that Tesla changed them in v5.6 but we didn't get time to notice because v5.8 came out and deleted the auto-low function.

Is it possible that they got 100mph confused with 100Kmph in the rollout of 5.8? The numbers seem to match......

62 mph is the normal trigger to lower which is 100 kmph. Now after 5.8 the lower trigger is 100 mph. They just got their units messed up! Silly error, but after thinking about no notification, etc. This makes perfect sense.

I just figured out what you meant - that it was an accidental change due to the wrong units being used. Anybody care to test it at 100mph? I wonder what happens if you change the units to KM (under the settings menu) and then drive over 100kph?

Anything is possible, but if you're right someone is scrambling like crazy over at Fremont right now......

Strange that for our friends at the west coast this does not seem to be much of an issue. :wink:
I've spent plenty of winters in Minnesota, and I actually prefer it in a lot of ways...

as for the potholes... They are worse here because they don't fix them (they don't expect to have to and they don't budget for them)...

The roads out here can be pretty crappy

Last edited:
I just figured out what you meant - that it was an accidental change due to the wrong units being used. Anybody care to test it at 100mph? I wonder what happens if you change the units to KM (under the settings menu) and then drive over 100kph?

Anything is possible, but if you're right someone is scrambling like crazy over at Fremont right now......

Tested and verified. It changed height at over 100 mph. No tickets please!!

Wow! So it's a unit conversion bug on their end and we all got ourselves hyped up over this? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Still doesn't explain someone calling Tesla and being told that it was disabled...??

No change if you change units on the display. It's a software SNAFU! I;m surprised that support reported this as normal and intended behavior which threw me.

Well done, Loyd. They probably refactored a conditional in the code where they were previously converting to MPH. An engineer probably mistakenly took that out during the improvements for the European market and it slipped past QA.

My bet is a fix is imminent, like within 1-3 days.

I need it restored in a matter of weeks, not months. I have a long trip coming up (265mi each way door to door, no superchargers) that I will now have to take an ICE car because I won't be able to make it with the reduced range caused by driving in the standard height instead of low height. So this change is going to force me NOT to drive the Tesla. Not cool. Very upset.

My S85 has coil springs, so its 0.6" higher than the air suspension MS at Standard height. I've averaged 314 Wh/mile in mostly 65 mph highway driving. My understanding is that 314 Wh/mile is more efficient than the average S85, most of which have air suspension.